Sins of Our Fathers II - New Art Uploaded - 1/25

Lela

First Post
Hmmmm, did I miss how the moonies, errr, Sunites, let Baden and Aramin go? Seems like they just walked out on them. Unless they're being attacked on their way out, which would work well.

But, wow, I can't believe how many hard choices you give your players. I think I need to steal this one. . .

Capellan

Explorer
Lela said:
Hmmmm, did I miss how the moonies, errr, Sunites, let Baden and Aramin go?

I think you mean Pandios, rather than Aramin. :) And the answer is ... they didn't:

Destan said:
The two warriors gathered their weapons and marched, both leaning upon one another, into the scant shelter provided by the shrine at the end of the causeway.

We're yet to see how Baden works his way out of this one.

One of the things I like about this story hour is envisaging my own characters and how they would have reacted to the same situation. In many cases, the only answer that comes to mind is "badly" :)

I'm actually only going to be a couple of hours from Indianapolis while Gencon is on, but I don't think I'm going to make it there. My credit card is definitely grateful, though I shall regret missing out on a signed copy of Valus!

grodog

Hero
Capellan said:
I'm actually only going to be a couple of hours from Indianapolis while Gencon is on, but I don't think I'm going to make it there. My credit card is definitely grateful, though I shall regret missing out on a signed copy of Valus!

Capellan, you can order a signed and numbered copy from the DW site (per the front page, the first 125 copies will be signed and numbered):
http://www.diffworlds.com/index.htm

Single Malt

First Post
Answers to old questions

First of all I'd like to congratulate Destan on a fantastic story hour, that has me totally hooked. I just finished the first three word documents and started scanning the first thread (for DM and player insights) and I thought I'd take this time to respond to a couple of requests that were made by him a long(?) time ago: one was about new readers to well established story hours and the other was simply a good, old "if you're reading, let me know what you think".

Well, if I say that I started reading this from the beginning during lunch two days ago, I guess that pretty much covers both, but I'll spell it out anyway. After reading good things about your work in several other threads I finally checked it out and boy, was I not disappointed! The writing is, in my eyes, simply superb; the descriptions bring the characters and environments to life and the story keeps you turning to the next page as fast as possible. So regarding the first question, I would say yes, new readers can be brought in to "old" story hours if the material is good enough (and they have the ability to extend their lunch breaks ;) )

The second request also involved a desire for input regarding writing style. To that I'm gonna be decidedly unhelpful and say: don't change a thing! Meaning that one of the things I enjoy most about reading story hours, and I follow quite a few, are the differences in style. I guess many others have said this before, but to me the little peculiarities, quirks and imperfections (in lack of a better word) in the writing only serves to enhance each story hours individual flavor and adds to the reading experience almost as much the content. (It's in these situations I really wish I were a native english speaker. I'm not sure that came out the way I wanted it to....)

Anyway, I'll get back to reading now. Good luck on your gaming!

Single Malt

thebitdnd

First Post
Another weekend in the Valus...

Whew,

Four days and many beers later, we've completed another weekend of marathon gaming. Suffice it to say Destan has a couple more PC deaths to add to the tally. It looks like one more session might just wrap this campaign up. Don't worry though, Destan has a ton of material to cover for story hour updates. The story will just get better and better, believe me.

Mariliths, Nalfeshnee, and Cornugons OH MY!!!

Now to recuperate,
thebitdnd
(aka Kellus)

grodog

Hero
thebitdnd said:
Four days and many beers later, we've completed another weekend of marathon gaming. Suffice it to say Destan has a couple more PC deaths to add to the tally. It looks like one more session might just wrap this campaign up. Don't worry though, Destan has a ton of material to cover for story hour updates. The story will just get better and better, believe me.

Mariliths, Nalfeshnee, and Cornugons OH MY!!!

Thanks for the update thebitdnd: any tidbits you can reveal that aren't spoilers? If not, how about some info about the current players, how you guys manage to play 20/24 hours for three days straight, etc.? :D

Maladrac

First Post
grodog said:
Thanks for the update thebitdnd: any tidbits you can reveal that aren't spoilers?

Tidbits that aren't spoilers? Hmm, let's just say we kicked the weekend off with a LARGE scale conflict, followed by some overseas travel, followed by some extra-planar travel, followed by a PC death, followed quickly by the death of the newly introduced PC, followed by... well, you get the picture. A lot of fit hit the shan in rapid succession.

grodog said:
If not, how about some info about the current players, how you guys manage to play 20/24 hours for three days straight, etc.? :D

The problem isn't playing so many hours striaght. The problem is making ourselves stop to get some sleep. We have the tendency to play well past the point on making rational decisions. And then comes the 'you've-stayed-up-way-too-late' kind of laughter. Once we get to about 3:30 AM and someone says something stupid like, "Dictum?!? Hell, he nearly killed 'em!" that's usually enough to get us giggling so hard we can't roleplay anymore.

maladrac

DrZombie

First Post
Destan said:
Well, in the fantasy genre, some of my favorites include George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.
No surprise here. Very, very good book, one of the very best. Fantasy that isn't straight good vs evil is so very hard to find.

Being a manic buyer of fantasy I happened across this one in the bookstore. Read it, enjoyed it tremendously, reading it again. Give it a try, I think you'll like it. (btw, there's four books so far, got the fourth on my to read pile)

Gardens of the Moon : Book One of the Malazan Book of the Fallen (Malazan Book of the Fallen)

grodog

Hero
grodog outed by pogre

Hola folks---

Now that I've been outed by pogre over at http://www.enworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1681972&postcount=4 I thought that I should "come clean" to folks reading Destan's work herein: I've been involved with Tadashi Ehara of Different Worlds for about a year, and we're publishing Destan's Valus sourcebook and Return of Ippizicus Child-Eater, both of which will be available at GenCon this year.

I don't want to needlessly side-track the story hour, but thought that I should set the record straight: I've been a fan of Destan's work since first reading it, and have been happy to work with him to bring the Valus into print. We sincerely hope you'll enjoy the books, find them useful and inspiring, and we're more than happy to discuss them if you have questions.

That said, if you collectively don't feel that this SH is the proper place to discuss publishing Destan's books, I'd be happy to shift discussion over to the Rogue's Gallery thread, or to start another one elsewhere (General Discussion??).

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Hi all,

Lord knows this thread has been quiet of late, but I'd prefer to not discuss the books here. I could maybe collect questions I've received via email into a FAQ and post it elsewhere. Got too many pokers in the fire right now, and trying to get things back into some semblance of normalcy.

Some of you were promised complimentary copies of the book. If this pertains to you, maybe shoot me an email letting me know if you've received it yet - or shoot me an email when you do. I think they were set to ship yesterday, if not before.

On the Sins story hour front, we had a session about two weekends ago. It looks like our next session will be the last for this campaign. It's somewhat surprising to me but, as I think back on it, I'm not sure if I ever actually fully ended a campaign in the past. I've played in some long-running campaigns, but I can't recall a "climatic" session where we put it to rest. Maybe that's more common than I think.

I've found that, personally, I'm much more comfortable DMing characters from levels 1 to about 12. The PCs in this campaign are around 17th level. I'm seeing, for the first time, the power of some higher level spells and melee characters with 5 attacks per round. Whoa. I sometimes get the feeling I'm not running my bad guys as well as I should - when we start talking about CR17+ baddies, they have a lot of options at their disposal. The amount of required preparation for adventures has skyrocketed, of late.

Anyway, I realize this is somewhat off-topic. Just thought I'd drop a status report on the campaign's characters (many of them which, alas, are not the same folks that we've read about in this story hour) and mention the impending conclusion of the campaign, for good or ill.

Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with some of you cats at GenCon.

Take care,
D

Remove ads