Sins of Our Fathers II - New Art Uploaded - 1/25

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Chapter Eight

Baden sat within Selûne’s shrine and thought of where he had been, what he had done. He thought of his father and mother, Banidon and Runwan, both dead now. He thought of Axemarch, his clan no longer. He remembered the young dwarf Bardo, Tamil’s brother, who had been killed within the mines beneath his now-abandoned dwarven halls. He thought of Poridel Poriden; in his mind, Baden could still see the elderly man impaled and dripping upon a Cyricist death-stake.

Baden turned his thoughts from those he had seen die to those he had killed. Such memories were easier for him; anger had always come more quickly than grief. Ippizicus, the ape-demon, destroyed by the banks of the Bluehorn. Ral, a blue-skinned fiend, stretched dead upon the flagstones within a Sorrow Elfking’s tomb. Baphtemet, his once-flawless, ebony face caved inward from the mace of Kellus Varn. And, more recently, Buk’lokik, the cave troll that had sought to make Axemarch his home, sundered from navel to neck by his own axe.

What business has a dwarf fighting such creatures?

Ilvar, his spirit-companion, was uncharacteristically silent.

Baden sighed. He was unaccustomed to reflection. Perhaps because he rarely had the time. For months he had been traveling within the lands of men. His skin had been tanned by the sun, something no self-respecting dwarf would endure for long. He had undergone many changes since departing his homeland beneath the Foggun Maw. He was unsure whether they were for the better.

A voice broke his reverie. “What do you do?”

Baden looked toward Pandios. The Basilican was well-built and strong, but he did not possess a dwarf’s constitution. The Imperial’s skin was loose and pale. He was dying. A slow death, to hunger. It was unfitting.

“Praying.”

Baden pulled his helm toward him and laid Borbidan’s axe atop it. The stone priests of his people taught that Moradin required no shrine, no altar. It was said the Forge Father could always hear the words of the faithful. Baden wondered whether the Moon Goddess could intercept his prayers, prevent them from ascending to the High Forge. Baden was, after all, within a Selûnite chapel.

In the end, Baden supposed, it mattered little. He too was hungry, and weak, and praying caused him to forget such things if only for a short while.

“Moradin, my God,” Baden intoned, head bowed, “I have strayed from your teachings. I have strayed from your sons and daughters, my brothers and sisters. I left your home in the mountains when I should have remained. I ask your forgiveness. I ask…”

Baden frowned. These things never came easy to him. “I ask that you hear these words and…well, dammit, do something.”

Pandios chuckled. The sound was dry and weak. “You…you had me going until the end. A fine priest, you would make.”

Baden scowled, found himself smiling as well. He leaned back on his haunches. “Stone benches. That is what I remember most about worship under the mountain. I love stone, mind you, as much or more than the next dwarf. But them granite pews were hard on me backside.”

“And cold, I would imagine.”

“Ah, well,” Baden grinned, “as to that – let’s say I wouldn’t know. I got as many whiskers on me ass as I do on me chin.”

Pandios doubled over, laughing the laugh of a condemned man. He leaned back, after a while, his cheeks wet with mirth. “You are a good dwarf.”

Baden shared a look with the Imperial before turning his gaze toward the far side of the causeway. They were there, at the shoreline, beneath the shadow of the massive cathedral rising behind them. They had been there, morning and night, since Baden and Pandios fought one another before the crowd. Six elves, armored and ready to give battle. Moonies. Most likely one or more were priests. Baden thought he and Pandios could wait another day – for what? – before hunger forced them to march down that causeway to their deaths. Almost any end would be better than starving.

Baden grabbed his helm and stood. He walked to the edge of the open-air shrine, bent, and filled the helmet with water. The day was dark, and would soon grow darker. The choppy waters of Mead Lake mirrored the roiling sky in both color and hue. Baden made his way across the stones and collapsed next to Pandios. “Drink.”

“I’m not thirsty.”

“Interesting. Drink.”

Pandios accepted the inverted helm and lifted it to his face. He sipped, coughed, and tried to drink again. The helmet fell from his hands, clattered on the ground, and water spread outward like blood. “Sorry, Baden. I…I said I wasn’t thirsty. You should-”

Baden hissed for silence. The dwarf stared at the widening pool of water, lips pursed and hidden beneath his beard. It drips. Baden scurried forward on hands and knees like a child. It drips!

“What?” Pandios rolled forward, knelt beside the dwarf. “What is it?”

“The floor. There is a hollow space beneath.”

Neither dwarf nor Basilican wasted a moment of time. Both were suddenly infused with energy. They paid no mind to the elves at the causeway, their world consisted only of the flat marble flagstones before them. Baden caressed the stones with a thick thumb, head tilted, eyes unfocused. He moved forward, repeated the touch.

“This stone. Right…here.” Baden dug his fingers into the narrow crease, breaking a nail off in the process and paying it little mind. He grunted. “Pandios, you whoreson, help me.”

The Basilican captain positioned himself opposite Baden, the loose stone between the two of them. One, two, three tugs. And it was free. Baden slid the slab to the side and looked into the darkness. Air, cool and fresh, wafted upward. He allowed his darkvision to adjust to the dimness below. A room, cramped, round, the floor ten feet below.

“My axe.”

Pandios leaned backward and handed Baden his axe with a grunt. “What do you see?”

“Nothing. Yet.”

Without another word, nor a second thought, Baden dropped into the darkness.

Near the end, when his stomach was so tight it burned, Baden did what he had never once done in all his years – he quit. It was too much. Too long without food, and him being forced to carry Pandios over his shoulder these past…what? Hours? Days? Baden leaned against the corridor’s wall and slid downward, Pandios crumpling silently onto the ground beside him.

The hole beneath the shrine had lead to a warren of catacombs, though none of the niches were filled with sarcophagi. It was empty of man and beast and spirit. The hallways were maddeningly haphazard. Baden, again for the first time in his life, had lost his sense of direction. Hunger – vibrant and painful – blurred his vision and drowned his mind.

There was always water. Too much of it. It dripped and oozed from the ceilings above. At times, Baden could hear the faint lapping of the Mead Lake above them. At other times, when they had descended steps upon steps upon steps, he felt he heard the very earth rumble and breathe. Turns and corners, dead-ends and switchbacks. One stairwell would lead upward for hundreds of steps and then, after cresting upon a landing for a mere ten feet, would descend once more into the bowels of the world. It was an affront to Baden’s engineering mind; there was no method to this madness.

Pandios had endured as long or longer than any man had a right to. But, after climbing yet another set of spiraling stone steps, the Basilican had simply collapsed. He could go no further. Baden hefted him onto his shoulder. It was not a decision made from heroism, nor loyalty. Such thoughts were for folk with their bellies full. Baden simply carried him because he did not want to die alone. And die, Baden knew, was what he would soon do.

- Awake, Baden. She comes.

Baden started awake, his darkvision swimming in blacks and whites before he forced himself to focus. He had evidently collapsed somewhere within a long stretch of corridor. He had no idea how long he had been walking its length, nor could he see the end. There were no doors – there never had been – and no turns. Nothing.

Save for a light in the distance. A glow. No. A glimmer. It grew in intensity. Or did it approach?

Baden glanced toward Pandios’ inert form. For all he knew, the Basilican was already dead. The blacks and whites of the hallway slowly turned gray, like dawn stealing upon the world. Baden dragged himself to his feet, slowly, painfully. He rested one shoulder against the wall, his axe on the stones beneath him, too heavy to hold let alone wield.

“You are embraced, Baden Dost, nil-thain.

Baden squinted. After days of utter darkness, the faint glimmer seemed blinding to him. The voice was aloof, soft, feminine. It was cold and yet comforting, cruel and yet tender. He had never heard its like. He wept.

Baden felt out of his depth. "Why?"

"Because you asked."

Because I prayed. “Who…who are you?”

“You know.”

I know.

“We must go. Would you bring your friend?”

Baden tore his gaze from the shimmer to stare at Pandios. He looked up. “I would rather die than leave him.”

A chuckle, light and airy. “Your folk have always loved to speak of death. It is your way.”

Baden said nothing.

“Come, then. Bring him.”

Baden wiped his eyes and bent. It took minutes before he could lift Pandios onto his back. He held his axe, loosely, in one hand. As he walked forward the head of the weapon dragged upon the stones behind him. He marched, as his father had marched during the Battle of Caerhame. One step, then another. Forward, ever forward, toward the light, suffused by the light.

Water.

Baden stopped. He had no idea how long he had been following the glow. It was still before him, spinning above a placid pool. The corridor ended here. Stone steps lead downward into the black waters. Baden looked up. “I cannot swim.”

“I know.”

You know.

“Your friend can.”

Baden lowered one shoulder and let Pandios slide onto the ground beside him. “I think…I think he is dead.”

“He is not. Not yet. You are embraced, and your desires compel me. I have struck a bargain, and will answer my part.”

Baden stood, silent, drinking this in. He found it hard to concentrate, even to think. Below him, at his feet, Pandios stirred. The Basilican moaned, softly. Baden watched him open his eyes, saw the tears appear, the mask of awe. Baden imagined the same countenance had been on his own face when he first saw the glimmer. Perhaps it still was.

The shimmering veil began to fade, the voice with it, but still she spoke. “The exit is before you. Go, now. I will come again, when the time is right, and you shall grant me a boon as I have granted one to you.”

Baden lay upon his back on the shores of Mead Lake. Snow – glorious snow – drifted downward to land upon his face and chest. Pandios had returned with a handful of tubers and roots. These he placed within Baden’s open mouth, like a mother might her child. Both warriors ate, supine, quiet. It was an odd feeling – eating. Baden’s mouth had forgotten how to chew.

“I must return to my men.”

Baden stared at the sliver of a moon high overhead. He could not take his eyes from it. “You can come with me.”

“I cannot, as much as I might wish it. A deserter makes a poor husband and worse father. I would not curse my family with such.”

“I understand.” And he did.

Baden rolled onto one elbow. His strength, and that of Pandios’, had returned shortly after they had climbed, soaked and cold, from the lapping waters of the lake’s distant shore. Across the blackness, silhouetted in the moonlight, rose the cathedral. If Baden never saw it again, he would consider himself a blessed man.

Pandios eyed him. “Where do you go?”

“Val Hor. It is a great city in the northlands-”

“I know of it. Though I have never been there.” Pandios sat upright, clutching his knees, shivering. “Why?”

“I have friends…” And suddenly Baden recalled the faces of those he had left behind a day's ride north of the Sorrow Elf's tomb. John. Raylin. Kellus. The others. He found he missed them, could not explain it. They had begun something, he knew, something that must be seen through till the end. Whatever that may be.

“How long since you last saw them?”

“A lifetime.”

It was the last word either of them spoke to one another. Both men – nil-thain of Axemarch and captain of Apia – stared at the moon long into the night. It was a wondrous evening, a clear evening, an evening filled with mysteries. A Valusian night. There was nothing better.

But it ended, as all things do. And, with the dawn, Baden departed from that place, never to return. Words failed them both, and so no words were said.

Last edited:

Nasma

First Post
Turn on the computer, go to Enworld, and see that the most recent post is another great update by Destan, what more can you ask for?

Out of curiosity, how did this occur in the game? Did Baden succeed at a search check near the end?

Thanks for the update, more Baden goodness is always appreciated.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Nice.

Now the question that burns....who is she? An avatar of a divine being? An emissary from Moradin? A trickster of some sort?

I guess we'll know by the boon she requests.

Again, nice.

grodog

Hero
WizarDru said:
Now the question that burns....who is she? An avatar of a divine being? An emissary from Moradin? A trickster of some sort?

My 2 cents: I think it's Selûne---by wondering if his prayers were being intercepted by her, I think Baden basically said a prayer to her, and she answered.

Funeris

First Post
Beautiful update. I really wonder how you make time to do everything you do. I think I have
less on my plate and yet if feels like I'm drowning sometimes :) Can't wait for the next update.

fafhrd

First Post
grodog said:
My 2 cents: I think it's Selûne---by wondering if his prayers were being intercepted by her, I think Baden basically said a prayer to her, and she answered.

Hrmm, I figured Moradin had a chat with Selune. She spoke of a deal she would honor, I'm guessing Moradin asked for her to intercede. It would hardly be respectful for Moradin to perform miracles in another God's temple.

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I can't put it off any longer. I started reading the first Sins installment about a week ago. I put it down for a while and just finished it up today (at work, no less!) Though I've hardly begun installment 2, I have to comment now.

I know it's been said many times, but you are one hell of a writer. Your characters are brilliantly defined, your pacing is smooth and seamless, and your descriptions colorful and evocative. Like George RR Martin, you have a talent for a dark tale full of wonderful subplots and meta-machinations. And holy cow, what a cliffhangar at the end of the first installment! I think my favorite part about your writing is your ability to say in eight words what many could not say in twenty. Through your characters you've spun some incredible dialogue and one-liners.

You've asked for criticism in the past, but honestly I could give none right now. I have personal nitpicks and problems sure, but frankly those just don't count. Your ability to tell a beautiful and compelling story is more than evident, and that is what people will see.

You posted a few weeks back about the Eberron setting and that's what first drew me to your story hours. It was a witty and well-written post. I see the Valus was carefully and lovingly crafted with lots of time and sweat. I wish I were going to GenCon to pick up a copy and meet the author in person. Alas, it'll have to go on my mail order list. Next year perhaps.

I can't wait to catch up the second installment. Keep on writing, and don't give up on the novel(s)! It's a lofty goal, but people need to read good fantasy (or whatever else it is you might write)

PS: And come back to Baltimore! Why do all the good DMs move away?

Edit: And I just caught up with Sins II and it's only enthralled me more. The initial scenes between the dwarves and the "moonies" were appropriately awkward and hilarious. The battle between Baden and the centuri... I mean Apian (;)) were intense. Pandios is perhaps my favorite NPC yet because I'm so reminded of someone like Achilles or Hector. And yet he's his own man too. Great stuff, Destan.

Last edited:

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Nasma said:
Out of curiosity, how did this occur in the game? Did Baden succeed at a search check near the end?

The truth may be a bit stranger than fiction in this case.

In this particular adventure, I made what experienced DMs refer to as a "boo boo." I put one of my players in a helpless position. Let's rewind.

Baden departed the abandoned Halls of Axemarch after killing Buk'lokik the cave troll. He had three dwarven buddies with him - the stone priest Pemm, the Ironfist Captain Hoth, and his fellow Axemarch warrior Tamil. I have always, always been a fan of the "getting there" portion of adventures. I guess I like to dip in Tolkienesque type stuff when it comes to traveling across the Valus. I like my players to really feel that getting from Point A to Point B can be an adventure - or a number of adventures - in its own right. More recently, in this campaign, my players have been shunting about the world via teleport and the cosmos via plane shift. That's all well and good; it's an aspect of high level player, and to paraphrase Monte - "A DM shalt not nerf powers earned by his or her PCs."

I recently had a little email dialogue going about this very issue with Sepulchrave. He and I seemed to settle on 8th level as being a pretty good boundary between "traditional adventures" and "magic-powered adventures". At 9th level, of course, an arcane caster can grab teleport. And a divine caster can grab raise dead. Both of these spells could be technically classified as "biggies".

Anyway, I digress.

Baden set off from Axemarch to Val Hor. That's a helluva trip. He'd have to head down through the foothills of the Balantir Cor, cross the Weedsea, cut through or skirt the Boarswood, pick up the Coastal Road, pass through a number of towns that may or may not be friendly to a dwarf, before finally wandering through the landward gates of the White City.

I had a random encounter chart ready for that trek. The dreth and wolven came first; he dispatched them, as we've seen, near Epalan ruins just south of the Cor's foothills. The next roll came up as Selunite priests.

Like any random encounter, I like to take the "randomness" out of it. At least in my mind. I had to inwardly answer some questions. Why were the priests there? Who was with them? Where were they going? What would they think of a small band of dwarves crossing "Selunite" lands?

I determined that the elves, being arrogant, would initially treat Baden and his fellows with disdain. Since they were Moonies, I could wratchet the arrogance up a couple notches. I threw in some captive clansmen as a way to answer why the elves were where they were - they had been patrolling the northern borders in light of some disturbing news (the presence of ancient dreth and feral wolven), and collecting folks for questioning.

So Baden and his buds set off toward the Moon Cathedral at Mead Lake. This was a random encounter, but it was quickly evolving into a whole adventure. I was along for the ride as much as Baden's player was. I was interested how it'd turn out.

Then Baden dropped the proverbial bomb. He told the high priestess, in not as many words, that he might be responsible for the dreth/wolven within her demesne. Hmmm...how would she take that? Not well, I figured. So then it became a tit-for-a-tat. I gave the elves a problem they wanted solved (the presence of infidel Apians on their sacred grounds). And I gave Baden his out: he could rid the elves of their problem, and thereby be allowed to continue on his merry way.

This allowed me to introduce some mainlanders to my party - specifically Pandios of Margive. The Valus is just one island in a much larger world; until this time, that was largely ignored by my players. And, because this is, after all, a Valusian Campaign - I had to make sure there was no "easy" answer. Baden could fight Pandios, certainly, and could probably kill him. But would he want to? I decided to make Pandios a damned honorable, likeable guy. Heheh. Deal with that, Baden.

Again, I ramble. Baden fights Pandios and then all hell breaks loose. I was very much holding onto the coattails of this adventure now. Suddenly, when the dust cleared, I find Baden and Pandios on an isolated shrine at the end of a causeway. A bunch of Moonies are guarding the only entrance/exit. Baden had told his companions Hoth and Tamil to continue to Val Hor. He was very much alone, and I was very much out of ideas as to how to save him.

So...what do I do? I've placed a player in a situation that might not have an answer. Was that fair? Certainly not. How could I get out of this damned web I was responsible for creating?

I took the easy (lame) way out: divine intervention. Moradin - or, more direcly, Selune - would help him.

In the real version of the story, a moon elf approached and offered Baden/Pandios the chance to undergo a "test". If they could pass safely through the sacred catacombs beneath the shrine, it must mean that Selune favored their journey. They would be allowed to go free. Baden and Pandios opted to take the bait (what choice did they have?), and they made it through. Baden had been given a boon, and would need to pay one - down the road - in return.

In the story hour version, I didn't feel like throwing in another dialogue. I've been desperately trying to advance this tale to the point wherein the Brothers of Olgotha are all together again. As a writer, I needed Baden to meet up with the other players. So I ditched the "test" conversation and just had him find a secret trapdoor. The end result was the same.

So, there ya go. Long answer to a short question. For those who want nothing but accuracy in a story hour, this probably ain't the one to read. I do realize, however, that folks may like to hear what really did happen, and so I'll try to pull aside the Oz-like curtain whenever the SH differs from the campaign itself. Mind you, these differences, as a rule, are minor.

Take care,
D

Remove ads