• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Size, Carrying Capacity, Strength, Athletics, Mobility

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Those are how earlier editions approached the flavor awkardness.

Very tentatively, I am leaning toward creating a Halfling cultural background, that unlocks the use of Heavy weapons. This is a military tradition that specializes in the use of polearms and greatswords, for the purpose of fending off larger hostiles.

Gaining the mechanic to use a Heavy weapon has nothing to do balance. It is to contain and silo the flavor. Even when most Small Halfling dont use Heavy weapons, there are some who are known to. Hence the background.

Relatedly, there are Halfling multispecies characters. Remarkably, even the core 2014 Halfling mentions that the Stout Halfling ethnicity has "dwarven blood" − effectively, the Stouts are Half Dwarf Half Halfling. Even if only one distant ancestor, a Dwarf trait might show up atavistically. Presumably the Tallfellow ethnicity who mixes with Human cultures is likewise effectively Half Human Half Halfling.

Some of these "bigger" Halfling ethnicities might include individuals who are functionally Medium Size.

Note, I feel there should be Gnomes who can wield Heavy weapons because of being magically strong.

In any case, the Halfling with oversized weapons is an awkwardness in flavor. The most popular way to address the awkwardness is less clear. Whether to tolerate it, embrace it, silo it, punish it, or prevent it. I lean against mechanical punishment.Bsack
Background is too low of an opportunity cost to shed the downsides of being small whilre still wearing their upsides

Horwath

Legend
Those are how earlier editions approached the flavor awkardness.

Very tentatively, I am leaning toward a creating a Halfling cultural background, that unlocks the use of Heavy weapons. This is a military tradition that specializes in the use of polearms and greatswords, for the purpose of fending off larger hostiles.

Gaining the mechanic to use a Heavy weapon has nothing to do balance. It is to contain and silo the flavor. Even when most Small Halfling dont use Heavy weapons, there are some who are known to. Hence the background.
guess it can be a rewrite of 3e monkey grip feat...

Relatedly, there are Halfling multispecies characters. Remarkably, even the core 2014 Halfling mentions that the Stout Halfling ethnicity has "dwarven blood" − effectively, the Stouts are Half Dwarf Half Halfling. Even if only one distant ancestor, a Dwarf trait might show up atavistically. Presumably the Tallfellow ethnicity who mixes with Human cultures is likewise effectively Half Human Half Halfling.

Some of these "bigger" Halfling ethnicities might include individuals who are functionally Medium Size.
then just have them medium size but little shorter, like dwarves or some subspecies of elves.
Note, I feel there should be Gnomes who can wield Heavy weapons because of being magically strong.
then they also need to be magically heavy(as fullsized humans) or be magically glued to the ground for needed friction to handle the momentum of heavier weapon.
In any case, the Halfling with oversized weapons is an awkwardness in flavor. The most popular way to address the awkwardness is less clear. Whether to tolerate it, embrace it, silo it, or prevent it.
I'm for preventing it. If large creatures have double base weapon damage comparing to medium, them small characters need half the base weapon damage compared to medium characters.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Background is too low of an opportunity cost to shed the downsides of being small whilre still wearing their upsides
In the case of the Halfling, there is zero concern about game balance. A Halfling can wield a Heavy weapon, with the same game balance as a Human, Orc, or Genasi can.

Not only it doesnt matter if a background unlocks the Heavy weapons for a Halfling, the background can grant the full benefits of a background in addition to unlocking the Heavy weapons. The Heavy weapons is about flavor, not mechanics.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
In the case of the Halfling, there is zero concern about game balance. A Halfling can wield a Heavy weapon, with the same game balance as a Human, Orc, or Genasi can.

Not only it doesnt matter if a background unlocks the Heavy weapons for a Halfling, the background can grant the full benefits of a background in addition to unlocking the Heavy weapons. The Heavy weapons is about flavor, not mechanics.
No "heavy" is not flavor, it's literally a mechanic. That's incredibly noteworthy because heavy is a mechanic that also serves a gateway to open a bunch of powerful mechanics like the 2014 GWM feat & four of the eight weapon masteries. You are trying to justify nakedly pure minmaxed CharOp with roleplaying fluff

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
guess it can be a rewrite of 3e monkey grip feat...
Pretty much, yeah.

When a Halfling does use a Heavy weapon, it prefer it be custom-made for a Small creature, especially for its grip and the heft of its swing. In the case of the longbow, I visualize a Japanese yomi shape, to keep most of the bow higher up in the air.

then just have them medium size but little shorter, like dwarves or some subspecies of elves.
Maybe. In the same sense, some reallife humans would be Large, over 8 feet tall and physically fit. It might be, a Halfling can be Medium, even if rare.

then they also need to be magically heavy (as fullsized humans) or be magically glued to the ground for needed friction to handle the momentum of heavier weapon.
Heh, being "glued to the ground" is the part that bothers me the most. That said. This might not actually be an issue. Proportionally, a Halfling with a greatsword is like a Human with an unusually long glaive (or naginata). The polearm would be over 11 feet tall, including the pole and the bladelength. This isnt really done in reallife history, but some polearms come close. It seems like the oversized glaive is plausible, and in any case being glued to the ground isnt one of the issues of concern here.

(Of course, the lance and pike are polearms that can be 12 feet and far longer, but these arent swung with a blade the way a glaive is.)

I'm for preventing it. If large creatures have double base weapon damage comparing to medium, them small characters need half the base weapon damage compared to medium characters.
Maybe the weapon list itself can mention its effective size. Dagger counts as a Tiny Weapon, Shortsword is Small, Longsword/Rapier is Medium, greatsword is Large.

These Weapon Sizes have nothing to do with mechanical restrictions, but are for flavor associations.

Actually, it is probably fine if these weapons have prereqs. Example. Tiny prereq Dex Score 13, Small prereq Dex Score 9, Medium prereq Str Score 9, Large prereq Str Score 13. One must meet the prereq in order to use this weapon effective, or else incur a Disadvantage.

I can see situations where some Wizards are nondexterous and cant use a dagger in any meaningful way in actual combat, so use a staff instead.

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
No "heavy" is not flavor, it's literally a mechanic. That's incredibly noteworthy because heavy is a mechanic that also serves a gateway to open a bunch of powerful mechanics like the 2014 GWM feat & four of the eight weapon masteries. You are trying to justify nakedly pure minmaxed CharOp with roleplaying fluff
I am talking about "mechanical game balance". There is zero "balance" problem when a Halfling uses a Heavy weapon. Mechanically, with regard to balance, it is the same as when a Human uses a Heavy weapon.

A Human can take the GWM (Greatweapon Master) feat and balance mechanically. (I am of the school of thought that every Level 4 Feat needs to be about as powerful as GWM, in order to be comparable to swapping a Score +2 for it.) Likewise, the Halfling balances mechanically when taking the GWM feat.

Besides, the Halfling species traits synergize better with Dexterity and Stealth, ranged weapons, and Brave and Nimble Finesse melee combat. From a character optimization point of view, there seems no special mechanical worthwhileness for a Halfling to specialize in Heavy weapons. When a player decides their Halfling Fighter uses a Heavy weapon, it is for the character concept, the flavor.

Horwath

Legend
Pretty much, yeah.

When a Halfling does use a Heavy weapon, it prefer it be custom-made for a Small creature, especially for its grip and the heft of its swing. In the case of the longbow, I visualize a Japanese yomi shape, to keep most of the bow higher up in the air.
That would be pretty weak bow then.
or you must make custom composite or compound SHORTbow.
Maybe. In the same sense, some reallife humans would be Large, over 8 feet tall and physically fit. It might be, a Halfling can be Medium, even if rare.
yeah, that could also be.
Heh, being "glued to the ground" is the part that bother me the most. That said. This might not actually be an issue. Proportionally, a Halfling with a greatsword is like a Human with an unusually long glaive (or naginata). The polearm would be over 11 feet tall, including the pole and the bladelength. This isnt really done in reallife history, but some polearms come close. It seems like the oversized glaive is plausible, and in any case being glued to the ground isnt one of the issues of concern here.

(Of course, the lance and pike are polearms that can be 12 feet and far longer, but these arent swung with a blade the way a glaive is.)
pikes are so unwieldy for regular humans that they are mostly used for one strike only. Set against cavalry charge.
TBH, pike should have 15ft reach with disadvantage at 10ft and complete inability to be used in 5ft.

the heavier the weapon is, less you can do with it and changing direction becomes a nightmare.
Maybe the weapon list itself can mention its effective size. Dagger counts as a Tiny Weapon, Shortsword is Small, Longsword/Rapier is Medium, greatsword is Large.

These Weapon Sizes have nothing to do with mechanical restrictions, but are for flavor associations.

Actually, it is probably fine if these weapons have prereqs. Example. Tiny prereq Dex Score 13, Small prereq Dex Score 9, Medium prereq Str Score 9, Large prereq Str Score 13. One must meet the prereq in order to use this weapon effective, or else incur an advantage.

I can see situations where some Wizard are nondexterous and cant use a dagger in any meaningful way in actual combat, so use a staff instead.
sure;

dagger: 1d4
large dagger: 2d4
small dagger 1d2

longsword: d8
large longsword: 2d8
small longsword: 1d4

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I am talking about "mechanical game balance". There is zero "balance" problem when a Halfling uses a Heavy weapon. Mechanically, with regard to balance, it is the same as when a Human uses a Heavy weapon.

A Human can take the GWM (Greatweapon Master) feat and balance mechanically. (I am of the school of thought that every Level 4 Feat needs to be about as powerful as GWM, in order to be comparable to swapping a Score +2 for it.) Likewise, the Halfling balances mechanically when taking the GWM feat.

Besides, the Halfling species traits synergize better with Dexterity and Stealth, ranged weapons, and Brave and Nimble Finesse melee combat. From a character optimization point of view, there seems no special mechanical worthwhileness for a Halfling to specialize in Heavy weapons. When a player decides their Halfling Fighter uses a Heavy weapon, it is for the character concept, the flavor.
Difference between that halfling and human is that there are benefits to being small and those benefits should be more pronounced. That shift to more pronounced benefits can't happen if the gains are not offset elsewhere in some way

Horwath

Legend
what?

since Tasha's, ASI's are whatever.

Lucky, brave and nimble works for all kinds of characters, nimble even better for any melee character(no matter STR or DEX build)
only thing is Naturally stealthy vs Stout resilience.
stealthy is better for ranged and stout for melee as there probably more chance of being poisoned.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
That would be pretty weak bow then.
The force of a bow is its construction, not size. There are composite bows that can shoot as far as a longbow.

or you must make custom composite or compound SHORTbow.
That can work too, a custom Medium bow that has the same stats as a Large longbow. A Small creature can use a Medium weapon, no problem. Again, I feel any oversized weapon needs to be built custom for a smaller creature to use effectively.

pikes are so unwieldy for regular humans that they are mostly used for one strike only. Set against cavalry charge.
TBH, pike should have 15ft reach with disadvantage at 10ft and complete inability to be used in 5ft.
The greatsword too should have extended Reach (like the reallife zweihaender) and should be most effective with a full swing "cleaving" a target or targets some distance away, and be at a Disadvantage versus an adjacent target because of applying the "half-swording" fighting style.

But D&D oversimplifies the mechanics for the sake of gaming convenience.

the heavier the weapon is, less you can do with it and changing direction becomes a nightmare.

sure dagger: 1d4
large dagger: 2d4
small dagger 1d2

longsword: d8
large longsword: 2d8
small longsword: 1d4
For my tastes, I strongly oppose convoluting the Basic mechanics for almost no benefit in gameplay.

A dagger, is a dagger, is a dagger: 1d4. What matters is if its wielder is Medium or Large, high Strength or high Dexterity.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads