• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Size Small Caster--Benefit, Detriment, or Neutral?

For a caster, is Size Small (as opposed to Medium) an advantage or a disadvantage?

• Relatively large disadvantage

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Relatively small disadvantage

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Completely neutral with absolutely no slide in any direction

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Relatively small advantage

Votes: 101 74.3%
  • Relatively large advantage

Votes: 16 11.8%

Rystil Arden

First Post
For a full caster, like a Wizard or Sorcerer, would you say that, all else being completely equal, changing from Size Medium to Size Small (with everything it entails, including smaller weapons, 20 foot movement, etc--no Whisper Gnomes or crazy races that ignore some of the penalties) is overall an advantage, a disadvantage, or neither?

Whimsical

Explorer
I normally select small races for arcane/psion casters. Last one was a kobold beguiler. Before that a kobold sorcerer.

Hm, I sense a pattern....

starwed

First Post
20 foot movement
This isn't an intrinsic part of being small; it's just something that both the small PHB races happen to have in common. I wouldn't call goblin (or kobold) a crazy race just because they get 30' movement.

Rystil Arden

First Post
starwed said:
This isn't an intrinsic part of being small; it's just something that both the small PHB races happen to have in common. I wouldn't call goblin (or kobold) a crazy race just because they get 30' movement.
Goblins are nonstandard for it, though. 20' is the standard. If you look at PC small races, the vast majority move 20', across supplements and even going into variants like AU/AE.

FireLance

Legend
A wizard can mitigate the disadvantages of a Small race with his spells:

Low speed -> fly
Low grapple -> grease
Low weapon damage -> attack spells

He still retains his bonus to Hide checks, attack rolls and AC.

Overall, I'd say a small advantage.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Small advantages - the traits on their own are roughly balanced, but if you make a character, you can naturally use the strengths of the traits, while minimizing the disadvantages, making it a small benefit.

hong

WotC's bitch
Put it this way, if you were a small guy, would it be better to be a caster, or not? I'd say it's better to be a caster.

Old Gumphrey

First Post
The penalties one gets for being small aren't penalties at all when you're a caster.

-4 grapple? You've already got the worst grapple in the party and you have a plethora of spells to avoid grapples altogether, including your +1 AC making you harder to grab in the first place.

-2 strength? oh noes. I guess that hurts your touch spells...wait no it doesn't, you get +1 to hit.

3/4 carrying capacity? That's actually an advantage since all your gear weighs half as much.

20' speed? Expeditious Retreat, Longstrider, Fly, Overland Flight, etc.

Stalker0

Legend
Being small is definitely an advantage for a caster. If a caster is having to run away on foot he's dead. If he's in a grapple he's likely dead so all the penalties don't matter.

But you get a +1 to AC and attack rolls which is nice. For the standard races, +2 dex or +2 con is a very nice benefit. And the cost of a -2 str, bah who cares.

Remove ads