• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skill Challenge success calculator

DClown

First Post
baudot the algorithm i posted will calculate the probability of success given a DC, number of successes required, number of failures allowed, and varying skill levels. Is that what you are asking for?

baudot

First Post
DClown said:
baudot the algorithm i posted will calculate the probability of success given a DC, number of successes required, number of failures allowed, and varying skill levels. Is that what you are asking for?
Just took the time to read it. Quite clever. The main improvement I'd think to make to it would be to expand the input to accept 5 distinct skill ratings and generate the probabilities for the 120 (5!) possible initiative orderings. (...and then I'd be tempted to accept party skill lists for party size n and generalize it to solve for n! initiative orderings...)

Mind if I lift some of your concepts for my PHP version?

Last edited:

ravenight

First Post
I also want to point out that the exact solution really isn't necessary, since we are just trying to get a feel for the difference between real-world skill challenges, which will likely include a significant amount of variations (characters with different skill levels, one-time abilities, situational bonuses, etc). Dart-throwing seems quite a bit more flexible (with all due respect to the elegance of DClown's algorithm). But then, I was trained in physics, not math, so I've never been a stickler for exact solutions.

Zogmo

First Post
Bleargh!!!!!

Thag need food.
Ugg ugg.
Thag need fire.
Snork snork.

That being said...

I am a happy consumer in a world of smart people doing things that make it possible for me to have fun.
Thank you all for the efforts to improve my gaming experience.

I'll be stepping aside now until this is translated into caveman speak.

Remove ads