Skill list guess

JohnDeHope3

First Post
What about this...
Non-combat tasks are resolved with ability checks. Period.
Characters of the same class are differentiated through feat selection. Period.

Specific skills are handled with feats that give bonuses to ability checks.
Each feat gives +1/2 character level, rounded up, to the rolls.

Don't forget that all heroic characters get +1/2 rounded up per character level automatically added to all ability checks just because they are heroes.

Classes could hand out skill feats as class abilities. Sometimes a class might grant a specific skill feat, and sometimes it might allow a selection from a pool of choices (ala 3E fighter feats).

Sadrik

First Post
Bryntryst said:
I object to the insinuation that anyone trying to unlock a door, disable a device or slight a hand is labeled as a thief and has illicit intent. I officially throw my guess of 'roguery' into the ring.
:heh: Manipulation, Roguery, Thievery, whatever. Tomato Tomato.
I'd say that sleight of hand should be covered by stealth, but...
Interesting, could be. I like to think that stealth as skill can handle other things other than: moving silently, hiding, covering tracks, trailing someone unseen, and sleight of hand??? could be.

It is really too bad, intimidate was mentioned as a skill option. :( I can see it being an ability and or a spell effect similar to how feint I assume will be handled- as an ability.

JohnSnow

Hero
Sadrik said:
:heh: Manipulation, Roguery, Thievery, whatever. Tomato Tomato.
Interesting, could be. I like to think that stealth as skill can handle other things other than: moving silently, hiding, covering tracks, trailing someone unseen, and sleight of hand??? could be.

If memory serves, stealth is used in Star Wars Saga Edition to cover sleight of hand. Basically, since it's a dex-based skill that's opposed by perception, it's considered to be pretty similar. By contrast, bluff is part of deception, and is opposed by your target's Will Defense.

Sadrik said:
It is really too bad, intimidate was mentioned as a skill option. :( I can see it being an ability and or a spell effect similar to how feint I assume will be handled- as an ability.

Context might be important. In SWSE, Wookiees have the racial ability "to reroll checks to intimidate." However, what they actually get by the rules is the ability to reroll persuasion checks that attempt to influence the target using intimidation. So it's actually just a facet of a wider skill.

Dr. Strangemonkey said:
In Saga intimidate is a function of diplomacy.

A wonky function, but a function nonetheless.

Not to pick nits, but that's not quite true. Intimidate and Diplomacy are BOTh functions of "Persuasion." You can choose to influence the target using one or the other.

Alternatively, you can attempt to deceive the target (deception).

It's a subtle distinction, but the implication isn't that intimidate is a form of diplomacy - it's that both are forms of persuasion. FWIW.

Last edited:

JohnSnow said:
Not to pick nits, but that's not quite true. Intimidate and Diplomacy are BOTh functions of "Persuasion." You can choose to influence the target using one or the other.

Alternatively, you can attempt to deceive the target (deception).

It's a subtle distinction, but the implication isn't that intimidate is a form of diplomacy - it's that both are forms of persuasion. FWIW.

I bow to your pedantry, sir, and applaud.

Though I do think it's silly that SWSE doesn't have performance as a skill.

I don't think you can really cover what 3PO is doing with the Ewoks as he tells the story of their adventures with either Deception or Persuasion.

Lackhand

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
I bow to your pedantry, sir, and applaud.

Though I do think it's silly that SWSE doesn't have performance as a skill.

I don't think you can really cover what 3PO is doing with the Ewoks as he tells the story of their adventures with either Deception or Persuasion.

It's not pedantry to point out that you had a problem with the function of a skill because you misconstrued the names, functions, and relationships involved.

But yeah. Performance should totally be in. It's part of the dang genre, dammit, and if it doesn't get added back for 4e I shall be a cranky fanboy.

Lackhand said:
It's not pedantry to point out that you had a problem with the function of a skill because you misconstrued the names, functions, and relationships involved.

Sir or Ma'am, you misunderstand, I am a professional pedant, and, naturally, so are many of the people I most admire.

Pedantry is certainly a quality with a dark side, but it is by no means a horrible thing to exhibit used well.

And in this case I thought it was.

Lackhand

First Post
Dr. Strangemonkey said:
Sir or Ma'am, you misunderstand, I am a professional pedant, and, naturally, so are many of the people I most admire.

Pedantry is certainly a quality with a dark side, but it is by no means a horrible thing to exhibit used well.

And in this case I thought it was.
'K :D

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
I am not sure if anyone is interested, but here is what I have come up with for my 3e playgroup. I plan to use 4e style skills, and this is what I have come up with.

Acrobatics (dex) [Jump, Tumble, Balance]
Arcana (int) [Use Magic Device, Spellcraft, Knowlage(Arcana, The Planes)]
Athletics (str) [Jump, Climb, Swim]
Deception (Cha) [Bluff, Disguise]
Diplomacy (Cha) [Diplomacy, Bluff(some usages)]
Dungeoneering (wis/int) [Knowlage(Dungeoneering)/Survival(underground)]
Heal (wis) [Heal, Knowlage(anatomy & physiology)]
History (int) [Knowlage(History, Nobility and royalty, Geography)]
Intimidate (Cha) [Intimidate, Diplomacy(some usages)]
Initiative (dex) <Act quickly in and out of battle>
Insight (wis or int) [Sense Motive, Decipher Script, Appraise, Knowlage(Architecture and engineering)]
Language (int) [Speak Language, Decipher Script(some uses), <ID a language>]
Nature (wis or int) [Survival(woods, etc.), Knowlage(nautre/Geography), Profession(herbalism, etc.)]
Perception (Wis) [Spot, Search, Listen]
Pastime (any as appicable) [Craft (any), Perform(any), Profession(any), Forgery]
Pilot (dex) [Ride, <pilot a vessel>]
Religion (int or wis) [Knowlage(religion, the planes(some uses))]
Stealth (dex) [Hide, Move Silently]
Streetwise (wis or int) [Knowledge [local], Gather Information, Survival(urban)]
Thievery (dex) [Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, Disable Device, Use Rope, Escape Artist]
That's 20 skills if I counted correctly.

Last edited:

~Johnny~

First Post
If "Thievery" wasn't previously confirmed as an official skill name, it was mentioned in today's Design & Development article.

Remove ads