Skill list guess

Ryuken,
I would say that Forgery cnanot be a Cha skill, as it's a *crafting* skill ;) it is more akin to disable device, than BLuff, as you have to craft a replica of another thing, be it writing or a work of art :)

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Silverblade The Ench said:
Ryuken,
I would say that Forgery cannot be a Cha skill, as it's a *crafting* skill ;) it is more akin to disable device, than Bluff, as you have to craft a replica of another thing, be it writing or a work of art :)

I have to say, Craft(forgery) makes a lot more sense than it being its own skill. I had it in Deception because that what a forgery is, but would you recommend that I lump it with the other craft skills in Pastime?

-edit-
That was a good idea, so I went ahead and did it.

Last edited:

Ryuken,
well I have to say that IMHO, the Craft and Knowledge skills, in D&D, should remain very clearly seperate, multiple and distinct
ie, do not lump them together, this is why:

In SWSE, the various ways of knowledge and crafting are lumped together. To a great extent I can see why. But, D&D is *not* sci-fi or even RL. In fantasy/medieval/ancient settigns, knoweldge and skill should be hard to come by except by personal experience. There is no internet, no training DVDs etc.

If you wish to learn knowledge, you have to travel and bow/scrap/pay for access to the few libraries and sages there are.

If you wish to learn a trade skill, you have to work under a master or learn yourself via trial and error.

In D&D millieus, sages and crafters should be highly regarded as they were in RL. They are "special" people. Be it a mason, a swordsmith or sage of astrological lore, they are not "mooks".

If you truncate craft/knowledge skills, you cheapen the game badly, IMHO. ALso, you prevent players from spending their skill points on things they care about ;)

THis is the Word .doc I made up for character sheet, I kept craft skills and most knowledge skills, seperate, though, I combined a few like Metalworking.
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/adnd/steves_dnd_c_sheet.doc

metalworking is a group of similar skills: from making iron weapons to making bronze lamps. Much of the skills are the same, it's when trickier/elabourate work is made that things get hard.

A blacksmith CAN make a sword, he just won't be so good at it. A SKill Focus feat in an appropriate area is more appropriate, IMHO, so you'd have Craft: metalwork but SKill Focus: Swordsmith , and apply a penalty to DCs when you don't have appropriate feat when making complex work, such as swords, plate armour, locks etc.

For example, blacksmith goes to make a sword, which is a very skilled job actually, it's not like making simple stuff...he's not gonna be that good at it, -5 check. The swordsmith with Skill Focus Swordsmith feat would get a +5 bonus instead
(4th ed = +5 skill focus bonus,not +4, if it goes like SWSE)
That's how I'd run it :)

I should add Craft - JewellryMaking too.

Last edited:

DamnedChoir

First Post
Why aren't they combining Climb/Swim/Run into Athletics? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

I certainly see Climb and Swim as less appealing on their own. Having Athletics, and Acrobatics cover your movement, with one skill to move quick and nimble hopping about (Dex Base) and the other to move powerfully and fast (Str based) It seems like a no brainer.

Hell, Balance And Tumble are Dex, Climb and Swim are Str. What gives?

Voss

First Post
Are you sure they aren't? (though... run skill?) These are just guesses, with a few hard facts.

@silverblade- a feat is effectively giving a +10 bonus (negating the -5 and giving a +5 as normal). That seems a little much, regardless of the skill.

Really, craft doesn't need to be a skill. You can either make an item or not. You can make it masterwork (tho, I'd rather this concept got kicked to the curb. Implemented so badly...) or not. It doesn't fit being built up with skill points over levels, and that in particular leads to goofy things like 12th level blacksmiths. Or 30th level wizards that, by happenstance, are better at swordmaking than the most skilled swordsmith in all the land. (Going by the Saga skills system assumptions).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The latest "traps" design and development confirms:

Acrobatics (first time I have seen it confirmed; can be used to jump)
Arcana
Dungeoneering (first time I have seen it confirmed)
Nature
Perception
Stealth

And then there is "other charecters trained in Theivery". Skill, feat...?

Khaalis

Adventurer
Professor Phobos said:
What would "Dungeoneering" entail?
Most likely a combination of Knowledge (dungeoneering) and Survival-oriented abilities. The skills are meant to be more robust and meaningful. It will probably entail lore related to spelunking and monsters commonly found in such settings as well as trap lore. Also, such things as terrain movement DC's, allow one to hunt and forage in such terrain, ability to sense direction, etc.

Remove ads