• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skirmishing Ranged Touched Spellcaster Build Optimization

EditorBFG

Explorer
So, I made a human Scout with Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, high Dex and Int at 1st level, then I took a Warmage level at 2nd. So with ranged touch spells, when I move 10 or more feet I am doing Spell Damage + 1d6 Skirmish + Int mod + 1 for Point Blank Shot. At low levels, this combo is great. When I hit 3rd level, I am going to get the Practiced Spellcaster feat to make my caster level equal my character level.

My question is, as I go up in levels, how do I compensate for delaying higher level spells in this extremely combat-heavy game? I am hoping to move into the Unseen Seer prestige class (so I can get spells and improved Skirmish damage as I go up), but folks around me are still saying that any multi-class arcane caster is shooting one's self in the foot. Right now I am a big boon to party survival, but in a few levels?

How do I optimize this build?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMHO you want Unseen Seer levels. Spellcasting advancement, Skirmish damage advancement, and skill points to burn.

You already get true strike, so you'll just have to figure out how to get another Divination spell of 1st level or higher. I'd recommend the Extra Spell feat, but I'm not sure how it works post-errata.

Cheers, -- N

Darklone

Multiclass arcane casters are bad, but there are prestige classes like Eldritch Knight and I guess Unseen Seer to take care of that. Your spells are not that tough but that doesn't have to be bad.

I don't have my books here, but if you don't lose more than two or perhaps three casterlevels as Unseen Seer (and the requisite multiclassing), you'll do fine. Practised Spellcaster will keep your spell damage on par with your level and skirmish will increase it to more than a wizard of your level might do with the same spell. Warmages have many spells per day, so your ammo is going to last a long time.

Build optimisation: Your AC, saves and hitpoints probably are rather good for a caster. What about Draconic Heritage feats, resulting energy resistance, DR and extra hitpoints? Plus an additional claw attack when casting a touch attack spell?

Edit: Improved Skirmish + tumble will keep you out of range for most full attack actions too.

irdeggman

First Post
EditorBFG said:
So, I made a human Scout with Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, high Dex and Int at 1st level, then I took a Warmage level at 2nd. So with ranged touch spells, when I move 10 or more feet I am doing Spell Damage + 1d6 Skirmish + Int mod + 1 for Point Blank Shot. At low levels, this combo is great. When I hit 3rd level, I am going to get the Practiced Spellcaster feat to make my caster level equal my character level.

My question is, as I go up in levels, how do I compensate for delaying higher level spells in this extremely combat-heavy game? I am hoping to move into the Unseen Seer prestige class (so I can get spells and improved Skirmish damage as I go up), but folks around me are still saying that any multi-class arcane caster is shooting one's self in the foot. Right now I am a big boon to party survival, but in a few levels?

How do I optimize this build?

Practised Spellcaster will not make up for spell levels lost.

It increases you caster level for "effects" and DC but does not give you any "spell caster levels" It specifically does not affect your spell per day or spells know.

So I hope you haven't made that assumption.

Pretty much mutli-classes spellcasters will always lose out on such things to an extent.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Nifft said:
You already get true strike, so you'll just have to figure out how to get another Divination spell of 1st level or higher.

The Eclectic Learning alternate class feature for Warmage in PHB2 allows them to trade their new Evocation spell for a non-Evocation spell, but at a spell level higher than normal. So at 3rd level, instead of picking a 1st level Evocation spell, he could pick a 0 level Divination spell - like Detect Magic - which would be treated as a 1st level Warmage spell.

-Hyp.

EditorBFG

Explorer
irdeggman said:
Practised Spellcaster will not make up for spell levels lost.
Sadly, yes, I know. I know it wouldn't be balanced if it did, but my character would be made in the shade if it worked that way.
The Eclectic Learning alternate class feature for Warmage in PHB2 allows them to trade their new Evocation spell for a non-Evocation spell, but at a spell level higher than normal. So at 3rd level, instead of picking a 1st level Evocation spell, he could pick a 0 level Divination spell - like Detect Magic - which would be treated as a 1st level Warmage spell.
This is an excellent idea. Normally I would not be able to use alternate class features-- this is for Living Greyhawk, where there are no optional rules allowed-- but as part of events surrounding Expedition to Castle Greyhawk, it was recently announced that characters from the City of Greyhawk could use those alternate class features... I guess because they're more cosmopolitan than folks from, say, the Theocracy of the Pale.

EditorBFG

Explorer
Thurbane said:
Unseen Seer is a good PrC for what you're trying to create.

Spellwarp Sniper might also be worth looking into.
I'll tell you what, if Spellwarp Sniper added to Skirmish instead of Sneak Attack, I would be on it like a cheap suit.

As it is... I don't know, I've never multiclassed Sneak Attack and Skirmish onto the same character before. I figure they would stack, but does anyone have experience with how useful having both abilities ends up being?

(I am thinking of the right class, right? No books in front of me right now.)

Remove ads