• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sleep + Coup De Grace

nittanytbone

First Post
Here's the scenario: Our wizard casts sleep, the foe then fails two saves (correction: ONE save) and goes unconscious.

An ally runs up and delivers a coup de grace on the sleeping enemy. Does the enemy:

(A) Wake up immediately; they are prone, however.
(B) Get a new save to stop the unconscious condition
(C) Just eat the damage -- they get a new save at the end of their next turn, just like normal, unless they have some other way to get new saves (a leader-type, racial ability, whatever).

I know in previous editions slapping or wounding would wake a sleeper up. Is this no longer the case?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Thasmodious

First Post
The condition applied is 'unconscious', which includes nothing about being woken up by shaking or damage. So, (C) would be the straightforward answer. It's a magical slumber, not a literal one, is how I think of it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The sleep is magical, and can only end by way of a successful save.

Well, there's one other way...

sleeping_beauty_3.jpg

-Hyp.

Tellerve

Just so you know, I asked earlier about the Sleep spell and I think you wouldn't need two saves to fall unconsious. At the first opportunity to make a save for your guy (the enemy) if he fails his save he'll fall unconsious. He's already slowed, however. And to answer your question, I also think C; just eat the damage. Its magical slumber not your run of the mill slumber.

Then again, maybe I'm still not getting this correctly.

Tellerve

erik_the_guy

First Post
When you’re asleep, you’re unconscious (see “Conditions,”
page 277). You wake up if you take damage or if
you make a successful Perception check (with a –5 penalty)
to hear sounds of danger. An ally can wake you
up by shaking you (a standard action) or by shouting (a
free action).
- PHB page 263

Although the sleep spell does not state that you fall asleep, it simply states you are unconscious.

"Sleep" is one of the keywords that describes abilities that make creatures become "asleep or unconscious". However, sleep is the only spell with this keyword. I find the ambiguity with the description weird, but if you ignore the fluff text, then a creature affected by sleep does not wake up until they save. You can coup-de-gras as much as you want.

Tellerve

Hmm, well I'd be worried about someone using what you just cited and saying they want to attempt the perception check at -5, figuring on hearing a battlefield level of noise DC 0, would make it a good bit easier than just the saving throw.

I agree that the old sleep you'd wake up from damage or being shook awake, and what you cite would seem to support that as well though.

Tellerve

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Just so you know, I asked earlier about the Sleep spell and I think you wouldn't need two saves to fall unconsious. At the first opportunity to make a save for your guy (the enemy) if he fails his save he'll fall unconsious. He's already slowed, however. And to answer your question, I also think C; just eat the damage. Its magical slumber not your run of the mill slumber.

Then again, maybe I'm still not getting this correctly.

That all looks right.

-Hyp.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
For a comparison, take a look at knockout blow or garrote from the rogue list. Both render a foe unconscious, and both specifically state that he wakes on damage. That suggests that either the sleep spell has a typo, or it is intended that it does not break on damage.

Sleep is only mentioned twice in the Sleep power. Once as a name (which has no real mechanical effect besides you can't know/prepare the same named power twice), and as a keyword (which has no, as of yet definition besides it's effect as a keyword for interactions with other game elements). The effect of Sleep is the condition unconscious, and the power tells you the way that you escape from this condition (you make a save). Slapping doesn't help, and neither does being hit.

Remove ads