• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smackdownish Hitpoints

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Re: For even more hitpoints

strongbow said:
I believe a Dragon issue (2 or 3 issues ago) had a feat called Extra Familiar. Someone I'm sure can find out where the Extra Familiar feat came from. I have not seen the feat in print; however it has been explained to me that you get an additional familiar with no limitations. Even if I'm wrong I would like to know.

Give one level of sorceror, and then take Extra Familiar: Toad as many times as you can. As 20th level, you will get 20 HP per Toad, which is more than that pathetic +12 from Dragon's Toughness.

So I'm thinking

Barbarian 1
Fighter 18
Sorceror 1

So your 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level general feats will go to Extra Familiar for an increase of 54 HP over the toughness feats +14 over Dwarf's Toughness at 3rd, then +8 over Dragon's Toughness at 6th.... 14 +(8 X5)=54

Also, you get 2 more fighter feats to spend on Dragon's Toughness for +24 HP. I don't have a MOTW in front of me, so is everyone sure that you can take bonus fighter feats and buy the toughness line with them? That may not be allowed.

Then you can rage for +40 HP.

HP Improvement=54 +24+40 (Raging) 118.

This thread is about MAX HP, not max Fort Save, so this is my 2 cents.

That doesn't work. The extra familiar feat states that duplicate familiar bonuses don't stack. (No matter how many toads you get, it's still only a +2 Con.)

Christian

Explorer
There's a point to rushing the Fort save, though-it maximizes the speed at which you get to the +11 base Fort save you need to qualify for Dragon's Toughness. The Brb1/Ftr18/Sor1 you're suggesting would qualify for that feat only at level 15 (Brb1/Ftr14), so he'd only get five Dragon's Toughness feats, for 60 bonus hit points. By taking a level each early on in classes with good Fort saves (Barbarian, Paladin, Ranger, Cleric, and Monk), you can qualify for the feat as early as fifth level, and get as many as thirteen DT feats for a total of 156 bonus hit points ...
:eek:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
You guys are crazy, you know that? :D

This is a real truckload of hit points. I think there are gods who have less :)

Hmm... but I think that dwarf would still lose against my bladesinger, because that one got an awesome AC! :p

darken

First Post
Hp? HP is of no concern

At that level, a redwizard/archmage can walk up to you, and say, "hey, you are good at fort saves, why don't you roll a fort save against my wail of banshee? don't worry, the DC is only 50"
with timestop or haste, he might not live.

p.s. That DC is not a random number. That's the highest possible DC for a total powergaming necromancer. An enchanter can be higher though, at DC 52 for level 9 spells.

Crothian

First Post
Re: Hp? HP is of no concern

darken said:
At that level, a redwizard/archmage can walk up to you, and say, "hey, you are good at fort saves, why don't you roll a fort save against my wail of banshee? don't worry, the DC is only 50"
with timestop or haste, he might not live.

p.s. That DC is not a random number. That's the highest possible DC for a total powergaming necromancer. An enchanter can be higher though, at DC 52 for level 9 spells.

What is this? My smack down can beat your smackdow? Please. :rolleyes:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Hmm.... What about making him Chosen of Mystra? I mean, this is already far out, so we can get impertinent! And it would grant us a +10 enhancement bonus to Con, or another 100 HP! (though it may be that not all other bonuses stack with that...)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
RigaMortus said:
Quickened Harm + Magic Missile... I win...

Hey, if I didn't say it, someone else would have =P
Quickened harm would be a 10th-level spell. So better to Quicken the magic missile, no? :cool:

The Souljourner

First Post
KaeYoss said:
Hmm.... What about making him Chosen of Mystra? I mean, this is already far out, so we can get impertinent! And it would grant us a +10 enhancement bonus to Con, or another 100 HP! (though it may be that not all other bonuses stack with that...)

Far out? Not really. I mean, sure, the +5 con from Wishes or a Manual of Health +5 might be kinda difficult to obtain, but besides that, the character is perfectly within even the most strict DM's rules (well, as long as they're not too picky about massively multiclassing).

-The Souljourner

Christian

Explorer
The Souljourner said:
... besides that, the character is perfectly within even the most strict DM's rules (well, as long as they're not too picky about massively multiclassing).

Suffice to say, within the rules from the core rulebooks and class splatbooks. (I'm sure there are DM's who wouldn't allow the upgraded Toughness feats, after all.)

Darken, we're not trying to make an 'unbreakable' character here. It's a purely mathematical challenge: how many hit points could a twentieth level character conceivably have? This is certainly not an 'optimized' character in any rational sense-I suspect a straight 20th level fighter would kick his ass without difficulty, although it might take a while. :)

Remove ads