• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Small Beginnings - Final Update 6/18/04, ITEOTWAWKI, AIFF!

Enkhidu

Explorer
Your Free Gift!

Hi all!

If you go back to the original post of this thread, you will see that the posting of Small Beginnings was inspired not by other story hours, but because D'Shai and I couldn't get all the writing out of our system right after the WotC Setting Search!

Sadly, like so many others (10,000 entries! Who knew?), the setting submission that started all this was rejected during the first round. Well, after looking at the possibilities of fleshing out the setting and publishing it ourselves (which we wrestled with for some time), we've finally decided that our creative juices should be focused on other projects (speaking of which, would anyone be interested in a small but complete .pdf detailing Icemist itself? It's a project possibility...).

So....

What follows is the original one page submission for the campaign setting Immortal Tales, which, incidentally, is the home of Aurora, Pack, Ashrem, Theo, Worm, and Ander, as well as the villiage of Icemist.

In addition to the format here, we've also uploaded it in the Settings Archive, in it's original formatting.

As always, comments are welcome, and constructive criticism is even more welcome. After all, if you can't improve your work based on the opinions of your preferred audience, what else is there?

Immortal Tales
Adventures in the world of Ageal

Core Ethos
In a world where gods clash, demons stalk the shadows, and the Immortals vie for dominance, heroes must fight for the very survival of the land – welcome to the Immortal Tales of Ageal.

Heroes
In Ageal, every soul has a story, but only a true hero can write her own chapters. Ageal’s heroes come from all walks of life, and can come from the most humble of backgrounds. For every legend told of Gregory Morthannan (reluctant heir to the throne of Konoth, born with every advantage, yet willing to give up everything to fulfill a prophecy), a bard sings of Blight Battledancer (a rustic and rough-hewn swordsman, who through tenacity and skill became one of the fabled Weapons Masters). A hero in Ageal isn’t a hero because she is born to it, but because she strives for it – she is self made.

Heroic Deeds and Desires
Many forces drive heroes in Ageal. Where the search for power may draw some, others may begin adventuring out of desire for riches or fame, out of loyalty, or to protect the meek from the strong. However, these heroes always have one thing in common – they have all felt the call. This call may come from a secret cabal of heroes and Immortals intent on guarding the lands, or it may come from something as simple as a child’s cry for help. Yet the call is always answered, sometimes by one seeking to be heroic, sometimes by one who has responsibility thrust upon him – a more unlikely hero. Whether he knows it or not, a hero’s fate is intertwined with the land, its people, and the gods who have vowed to protect it.

Of course, a hero may always run afoul of one of the Immortals, or become embroiled in their intricate plots. In fact, a hero’s goal might be to seize their own Book of Life and become one of their number…

Adversaries
Ageal’s recent history has been fraught with battles between the mighty, with the Immortals finally coming together in a bid for power against the gods themselves. In the aftermath of that long and clandestine conflict, many evils were loosed on the world. Demons and their master, the Corrupter of Dreams, are once again free to cross the Veil. The Dread Lord, once thought dead, has awakened from its long slumber to rebuild its armies of undead. The Great Ionian Empire has begun to collapse from its many strains, with Barons giving themselves wholly over to cruelties to keep their tenuous holds on power. Great tribes of Goblins have begun to muster in the far north and from the far south come the Orcs, both ready to conquer new land where they can. If ever Ageal needed heroes, now is the time.

Magic
Magic in Ageal is a battlefield. Two gods clash for control: one, a forgotten and unworshipped god who grants his powers to those few who can decipher his riddles or control it by their very essence; and the other, a recently freed deity that has once again taken her role in the heavens as guardian of the Flow - a magic used by the gods themselves, as well as those followers to which they grant it.

As far as practitioners of the arcane arts are concerned, all magic springs from “The Well of Knowledge:” the theoretical repository for all things that can be known. What they do not know is that the Well actually exists, and that it not only contains all knowledge, but knows it, and grants great power to those with the patience to unravel its mysteries.

The Goddess Llyladria, awakened from her long imprisonment, controls a different kind of magic – one based on faith instead of knowledge, and gifts her followers with it. Other gods have followed suit, and their faithful also use that magic, sometimes for good, and sometimes for ill. However, the Pale Lady, caretaker of the Flow, has given a special magic to her closest followers – the power to give the Flow substance in a form known as Magitherium.

What makes Immortal Tales unique?
Magic in conflict, the world in upheaval, powerful adversaries – all these things and more make Ageal a memorable place for heroes to make a name for themselves. However, certain things make Ageal unique in the multiverse: Magitherium, a physical manifestation of the Flow of magic; The Veil, the weakened barrier that keeps the demon hordes at bay; and the Immortals, whose ranks can be joined by true heroes. This ascent to immortality is possible because every sentient being on Ageal has a Book of Life – the living record of their thoughts and deeds. This “library” is cared for by the gods themselves, and when a soul’s time on Ageal has come, they close that soul’s book. Which begs the question: what happens when the last chapter is written, but the book is never closed?

Enk&D'Shai

First Post
"Calm Before the Storm" or "Can I Still Buy Backpack C?"

Hidey ho, neighbor!

Since D'Shai is all hopped up on Sinutab, he won't be joining us today, and for once I get to post the installment in peace.

Hooray for Sinutab.

Anyway, I'll keep this short... Wait a second. BRB.

OK, D'Shai says that if I don't post a tip of the day he's going to break into my house and put a Vanilla Ice CD in my disk changer when I least expect it. He called it the audio version of Russian Roulette. And since I've already seen the CD (he said he bought it for just such an occasion), and I'm fairly sure that Mrs. Enk would just let him in the house to do it, I'll oblige with the tip.

Just one problem: he didn't give me a Tip. He said I had to come up with it myself, and it had to be related to pirates.

So here's your rack'n frack'n goldurned Tip of the Day.

"Loose lips sink ships."

I tell you, if he does this to me again I'm just going to open up the floor for suggestions.

In fact, for the next week, I will be taking requests for the next Tip of the Day I have to do solo. All you have to do is email me here. The winner of this impromptu contest will get their Tip o' the Day used sometime over the next few weeks (D'Shai is bound to do this again sometime soon). The loser(s) get a noogie from HULK.

Oh, and Mrs. Enk says thanks to all the well wishers. I'll do my best to keep you informed!

Enjoy

"Calm Before the Storm" or "Can I Still Buy Backpack C?"

Aurora closed her eyes and tried to concentrate, focusing on the rush of energy that welled up deep inside her. She imagined herself standing near a stream of flowing magic deep in the fey lands. Slowly she dipped her hands into the shimmering surface, drawing its essence into her own. The young sorceress concentrated and the mystical substance flowed and formed shapes at her bidding, covering her in its essence and slowly melded with her body. Just as the process was nearly complete, her concentration was broken by a sharp poke in the ribs.

“You feel good, Rora Angel?” Meepo’s scaly faced asked her as she opened her eyes. “Why you close eyes? You sick?”

The young sorceress giggled at the kobolds words and smiled at the look of concern that played in his eyes. “No, Meepo. I was resting. I need to rest to gather my ‘dragon’ magic. You do rest down here don’t you?”

“Yes, Meepo rest, but never with both eyes at same time.” The kobold stopped and looked around before continuing the conversation. “Many dung grubbers down here, and they try to take Rora angel from Meepo like they take Cal. Meepo protect Rora Angel when she does both eyes rest.” Aurora almost giggled again when the kobold quickly turned after the statement and proceeded to march around her like he was on patrol at a castle tower and she was the maiden locked in that same tower. “You rest now, Meepo watch with both eyes.”

Aurora muffled another series of giggles by feigning a yawn and emphasized it by stretching her arms and legs. Knowing that she was unlikely to concentrate with her guardian stomping around her, the young sorceress look about to see what her companions were doing. Ash and Ander had camped on the far side of the room near the door, like watchmen, and they were deep in a conversation that Aurora didn’t think would be wise to interrupt. Theo and Pack were likewise engaged in a theological discussion and the sorceress had always felt lost when it came to the gods and their magic. That left just Meepo.

With a sign, Aurora turned her attention back to the small kobold and hoped that she would be able to get some useful information from the confusing sentry. “Meepo. I’m not resting right now, why don’t you sit down and talk with me.”

The kobold stopped in his tracks and turned to face the maiden, his face was skewed: almost as if he couldn’t believe what he had just heard. With a rush, Meepo sat right up against the sorceress with his head on her chest, staring straight into her eyes. “Um, Meepo, not so close alright. There that’s better,” she said as she nudged the small beast away to about arms length.

Meepo merely stared back at her, undaunted by the brush off. His eyes held her gaze as if he was captivated by her in some way. Unsettled by the intense attention, Aurora shifted uncomfortably and tried to think of something to talk about. “Meepo, What do you know of the doors?”

The small kobold tilted his head, like a lost puppy: confused. “Many doors down here. Rora Angel like doors?”

“No, No, just the special doors, the Dragon Doors.”

Aurora guessed that he finally understood because his eyes lit up and he began babbling at her too fast for her to understand. “Scorch………armies…….dragon priests…….Angels…….”

“Stop!” The sorceress shouted, causing everyone in the room to stop for a moment and look at her. With a flushed face she turned to address Meepo again as she heard the other conversation pick up again. “Slow down, I don’t understand you when you talk that fast.”

The sorceress’ words seemed to fall on deaf ears as the kobolds eyes grew large and he quickly scampered to his feet to examine Aurora’s face. “Rora angel in heat? Why soft scales turn red, you life-mate nearby?” Aurora felt herself blushing yet again, as the scaly protector turned and looked around the room and the young sorceress instinctively sneaked a peek towards the woodsman, Ander.

“No, Meepo,” Aurora protested as she shook her head, “it’s not that. I was embarrassed that’s all. You know when you say something and…you know what, forget about it. Tell me about these dung grubbers.”

Meepo turned and suspiciously eyed the sorceress, but soon grinned and plopped back down like a child for story time. “The ugly, nasty, soft scaled dung grubbers that weak like new hatches.” The kobold proclaimed puffing out his chest.

“If they are weak, how did they steal Calcryx?”

“Meepo out catching rats and come back and Frimp and Grendo dead, many dung grubbers in cage room, too many for Meepo. Meepo miss Cal.” The poor kobold began to whimper softly and Aurora found that she felt sorry for the small thing and instinctively scooted closer and held the kobold why he cried. “Rora angel help Meepo?”

“Yes Meepo, Rora Angel help.” She said softly stroking the kobolds scales as he began to snore and a smile broke out across her lips as she noticed he left one eye open.

Ashrem sat quietly against the wall next to the door, his attention fixed on the whisper like motions on the other side of the thick wood. The company had not been disturbed since entering the chamber, unless one were to include the incomprehensible yammering of the kobold that Aurora, against the scout’s better judgment, had taken under her wing.

Ander plodded up to the feloine. “All in all, I’d rather be in bed.” The woodsman slumped next to the stone wall and slide to the dusty floor.

“I could second that.” Ashrem looked at his young friend – he had laid his head back against the wall and closed his eyes. The scout could still smell the ranger’s fear filled sweat, mixed with the metallic tang of blood. “Though I imagine that either of us would settle for a comfortable patch of moss, at least at this point.”

“Point taken.” Ander seemed to deflate as he spoke. He seemed defeated, and the sight of it turned Ashrem’s stomach. “Do you think we’re ready for this? Supplies wise, I mean.”

“I would say that our chances of achieving our goals are quite favorable, actually. Supplies should not be a problem, and I have secured more than ample emergency rations should the need arise.”

“Oh yeah, I keep forgetting you can carry a full keg’s worth of supplies in your rucksack. Well, at least we won’t have to worry about food. What about other stuff: rope, torches, etc.”

“All present and accounted for, Ander.” The feloine patted the traveling pack next to him. “Approximately forty feet of rope remains untouched, and we currently have over two dozen torches.”

“Good, now all we have to worry about is getting a dragon back for a horde of not so friendly kobolds from an even more unfriendly horde of goblins. Peachy.” The feloine huffed a quiet laugh at the woodsman’s joke, more out of politeness than humor, and fell quiet again.

The pair of warriors sat silent for a few moments, while the sounds of two other murmured conversations continued to fill the room. Finally, Ashrem broached the subject hanging in the air.

“You should have Brother Theo tend to your wounds.”

“I already did.” Ander didn’t even open his eyes.

“All of them? Including the gash seeping under your leather jack?”

Ander sat in silence as the feloine watched him carefully. “I’m more worried about making sure that Theo has enough healing for everyone else. If Aurora or Pack got hurt…” he woodsman trailed off, unable to continue his train of thought.

“Pack and Aurora may very well get hurt on this mission. They may very well die on this mission. However, they each knew the risks involved in coming, and they both decided to come, regardless of the danger. As our commander, you must remember this.”

“Who says I’m the commander?”

Ashrem looked at the others. Pack and Theo had huddles together in some deep conversation, and Aurora sat looking either bemused or confused at her new kobold lap dog’s antics. “They do, my friend, and I do as well.” The feloine breathed deeply, letting his words sink in to his closest friend’s mind, and continued, “A commander should always be healthy if he wishes to lead his troops from the front. It is better for morale.”

“Bones, Ash. I didn’t want this. I never wanted this.”

“The Winds of Fate do not always fill our sails: sometimes we must row. Please, see Brother Theo and have him attend your wounds.”

Ander stood on shaky legs, and began moving toward the aging cleric cloistered with Pack. After taking two steps, he turned to face the placid feloine. “What if I’m not good enough, Ash?”

“You will be, my friend. You will be.”

Pack looked up from his never ending task of rearranging the contents of his backpack as Theo plopped down a few feet from him. Now that the room was fortified and the camp was made, the aging cleric shrugged off his chain shirt and began tending to his own ails, looking drained and sore. The halfling watched the priest as he chanted and moved his hands over his wounds. A soft blue glow and sounds of rainfall seemed to accompany the strong hymn-like spells of the storm worshipper.

The small bard paid close attention to even the slightest detail of the cleric’s movements, just as he had for the past few nights since first seeing his healing touch. Pack did believe that Theo’s powers came straight from Zuras, but on a whim a few nights before he had mimicked the priest’s motions while humming the same hymn the priest had chanted and felt a tingling in his finger tips. With proper homage paid to the Storm Lord, and Theo, maybe he would grant me a few coppers of healing in my hat.

Pack paused, realizing that he had been focusing too much, and found Theo had finished with his prayers and was staring directly at him. “Ooooh Theo, tsk tsk! That armor is covered in blood and fur. I know I have some oil in here and a wire brush. Steel is hard to come by these days you know, the demon wars and all, and I wouldn’t want to see yours rust.” The halfling rummaged through his pack as he spoke, producing a small armor care kit he had picked up along the way.

“I am well aware of that Pack.” The cleric replied taking the small case of polish and brush from the halfling’s outstretched hands. “Where do you think I got this?”

“Oh yeah. Sorry, I forgot.”

“Its fine, son. I sometimes forget that I’m older than the rest of you, too. This little trek makes me feel young again.” The Priest paused and began cleaning his armor before speaking again. “Useful too.”

Pack waited, expecting the priest to continue, but the old warrior merely stared at his armor, lost in thought.

“Theo, did you want to finish your story?”

“What was that, Pack?”

“Did you want to finish your story? The one about your time in Tor. The last thing you said before we had to start being quiet was something about how something made you decide what was important to you.”

“Ah yes, Eleanor.” Theo eyes looked toward the wall, but Pack got the impression that he was looking past the stone, into the past, or at least a place where he was very happy. “My wife.”

“What was she like?” Pack almost whispered the question.”

“Beautiful as a rainbow, and gentle as a summer shower.” He sighed heavily. “Gods know how I loved her…” Theo sat silent for a while, his busy work seemingly forgotten.

“She was everything to you wasn’t she?”

Theo smiled and began slowly polishing his armor again. “The power should have been hers. She was the one who truly believed. I just showed up at the temple to see her. Her father was the head priest you know. I hear he’s the High Abbot at the Church in Tor now. He always worked hard and had a real gift for healing and sermon.”

“He was there when I found her, or what was left of her after the demons raided. He was there when I made my oath and when the thunderbolts first leapt from my hands. He said I was Zuras touched and that it was my duty to be a beacon for the church, to bring followers into the fold. I tried, and even though within a few months time my healing powers were greater than anyone else’s at the abbey and even though I also had other powers that none of the other followers had, the gift of sermon was not one of them. Every time I stepped in the pulpit and began to speak, I felt like I was lying.” Theo stopped and laughed as if remembering a joke long forgotten. “Did you know that I grew up praising Zuras so that he would bring rains and sunshine to our lands to make crops plentiful, and in Oscourt they fear Zuras and pay his priests to keep the storms at bay while they haul in their nets?”

“No, I didn’t.” Theo stopped for a moment and looked back towards the Pack. The bard’s eyes were bright and intense, taking in everything the older man did as he spoke, committing the entire act – words, movements, and pace - to memory. Hungry for more of the tale, Pack prodded the cleric on. “I didn’t know that. Go on…”

Theo took a deep breath, and the halfling could see built up tension leak out of the priest. “Not today, my friend. We should both be getting rest now.” Theo went back to cleaning his mail. “We’ll talk about it later.”

Pack leaned up against his backpack, its weight countering his own. “Theo, tell me about the demon wars. Did you meet any of the heroes?”

The old cleric paused for a moment. “I learned something during the wars, Pack, that I think is very important to remember. A hero doesn’t have to have songs written about him to be a hero. No, I never met anyone back then that you’d likely know, but I did meet a lot of very good, very brave men; and women for that matter. In fact, I still meet heroes today.”

“Like who?”

“Look around, Pack, they’re in this very room.”

“You mean Aurora, and you, and Ander, and Ashrem?”

“Oh, I suppose I mean them, but you left someone out, son.”

“No I didn’t, Worm didn’t get to come with us, even though he volunteered.”

“But you did. Even without him, you came all the same. And I think that’s probably the bravest thing I’ve ever seen a body do.”

Pack was silent for a moment. Talking about Worm had brought back the reality that his older, bigger, and stronger brother was not at his side. As if in answer to Pack’s thought, Theo continued.

“I dare say that your brother is more worried about you than you are of him, Pack. But you’ll both be fine. All of us will. Now get some sleep while you have a chance.”

The halfling absentmindedly laid covers on the ground to serve as a blanket, his thoughts back in Icemist. As he curled up in the heavy cloth and nodded off, he thought of Lizon, of Worm, and of home.

Next Week!

"Rodents of Unusual Size," or "What is the, the Fire Swamp?"

Enkhidu

Explorer
You know, we actually wrangled over that word, and left it because we couldn't come up with anything better as a similar exclamation from the character (I thought about making some reference to how the original text before translation actually said something about peaches or something, but that seems too Tolkein-y).

Anyway, here's some of the one's we discarded:

“Good, now all we have to worry about is getting a dragon back for a horde of not so friendly kobolds from an even more unfriendly horde of goblins. Swell.” Too 50's

“Good, now all we have to worry about is getting a dragon back for a horde of not so friendly kobolds from an even more unfriendly horde of goblins. Groovy.” Too Bruce Campbell

“Good, now all we have to worry about is getting a dragon back for a horde of not so friendly kobolds from an even more unfriendly horde of goblins. Like, wow.” Too Scooby Doo

“Good, now all we have to worry about is getting a dragon back for a horde of not so friendly kobolds from an even more unfriendly horde of goblins. Good Grief.” Too Charlie Brown

“Good, now all we have to worry about is getting a dragon back for a horde of not so friendly kobolds from an even more unfriendly horde of goblins. Holy Catarangs, Ashrem.” Too Burt Ward

“Good, now all we have to worry about is getting a dragon back for a horde of not so friendly kobolds from an even more unfriendly horde of goblins. Heavens to Murgatroid.” Too Hanna Barbera

So, we went with the lesser of several evils.

Oh, and before I forget (like I'm prone to), we regret to inform you that Small Beginnings is being retired. Real life and other projects have piled up so much this week that there's no way we're going to be able to put up another post, so we are retiring, at least until our agent can get us a big fat signing bonus and renegotiate our contract.

Yeah, and this time none of that "Yards per Carry" incentive clause crap.

Yeah, what he said.

Seriously, this week is hectic, what with work projects and other projects piling up, so look for us to update the story hour next week, after our big coming out of retirement party.

See you then!

Last edited:

Enk&D'Shai

First Post
"Rodents of Unusual Size," or "What is this, the Fire Swamp?"

Butterfinger...

Hello everyone, sorry we're late but D'shai just had to go trick or treating.

Snickers bar...Ooooh! Reese Cup....

The sad thing is he doesn't have any kids, he doesn't have a niece or nephew around, and he dresses like a pirate everyday anyway.

WOW! Pop Rocks and Nerds! I thought Pop Rocks were banned ten years ago...Ahhhhh...Chewy.

Anyway, we've finally gotten around to giving another update. Sorry for the inconveniece (this means you especially, Badger).
Now,before we go any further, wait a minute... D'shai, get over here and do the Tip of the Day!

Beweej murph MHhhh tweeste wunderfunk, quijibo ....MMMMMMMMM........wdeter stofth.

You are a sick and twisted individual - next time make sure you come up with one that won't offend Eric's Grandmother. That's just gross. Now get the caramel off my monitor, come up with one more family friendly.

Tip O' the Day
Never get into a land war with Russia.

Too Princess Bride. Want to give it another try?

Never gamble with a Sicilian when death is on the line?

Try again. This time something original.

At least it's better than "Loose lips sink ships."

Hey, it's not my fault that I've only gotten one suggestion from our kind, loyal, and inventive readers *cough* slackers *cough*.

Alright. Never write a check in the cash only line, especially if Fett is behind you.

Now that's a good tip.

Before we actually post up this time, we did want to say something bit more serious. We really respect what military men and women give up to protect their country. Being US citizens, we really appreciate your willingness to give up your time with your son to protect our interests, Badger.

Just for this occasion, I've got Red, White, and Blue Airheads in my mouth! Whvs fr u, Bawwer!

Oh, and we'll take care of emailing Badger that the update is ready to go.

Enjoy...

"Rodents of Unusual Size," or "What is this, the Fire Swamp?"

Pack wiped the sweat from his eyes and stepped out from behind Theo to thrust his lucky dagger into the flank of the closest rat. The halfling was tired and sore from the constant ambushes set by the filthy beasts ever since the friends had entered this section of the underground citadel. It seemed like days to the bard since they had broken camp and followed Meepo the kobold down dark passages.

Pack breathed a sigh of relief as Aurora’s azure missiles followed the last rat back into their latest ambush hole near a dried up fountain. The bard quickly slumped to the ground resting his back against fountain wall as Theo and Ander quickly covered the hole with rocks and debris, just as they had several other times. Pack watched as they finished and then the group huddled up near him to rest and discuss options. Theo tended to the bites and scrapes of the companions once everyone had caught their breath.

“How many rats can there be?” Aurora questioned as she glanced around nervously fingering the dragon bone wand.

“Rats tend to live in huge clusters,” Ander remarked. “But I tend to think we are seeing the same seven or so rats rotating with each ambush, three or four at a time.”

“That doesn’t make any sense. They aren’t smart enough for that. They’re rats!” Pack gasped. “I mean they are bigger and stronger, but they are just rats, aren’t they?”

“I think their actions speak for them, young Pack, and I think it is time we stopped underestimating our foe because of their little cousin’s frailty.” Theo never looked up from bandaging the wound on the kobold guide as he answered Pack’s question, but the halfling got the feeling that the words were aimed more toward Ander than himself. “I also think we need to arm our guide if we wish him to stay alive long enough to get us to the dragon. He has fought tooth and nail along side us and we could use the extra weapon in light of our foe’s tactical approach.”

Pack heard Ashrem growl at the notion of arming the kobold, but the feloine said nothing and instead turned and stared at Ander. Pack also turned and eyed the woodsman, expecting his immediate response. Instead he saw a large frown fall over the warrior’s face and his brow wrinkled in contemplation. Pack’s stomach sank at the mere thought that Ander was stumped on how to combat the rodents, but to the halfling’s astonishment the frown soon turned to words.

“You’re right Theo, its time we started acting like a team and using tactics of our own. Ashrem, you will take lead, about twenty steps should be enough, and don’t take any chances. Drop back if you see anything. Theo, you and Pack will guard Aurora and Meepo. I will...”

Ander kept talking but the woodsman’s words had dazed the halfling. I have never been asked to guard anything, not even the wine cellar. Ander thinks I am big and strong enough to guard someone. Theo was right maybe I am a hero like the rest of them. I wish that Worm could see this, but if Worm were here he would guard Aurora and not me. No, if Worm were here these rats would be too scared to attack us and the goblins would give the dragon back and the children would be saved already. He’s not here though so I guess it’s up to me.

“Pack? Pack, do you think you can handle that?”

“What? Oh sure Ander, anything you say.” The halfling quickly replied, nodding briskly to cover up his embarrassment.

“Alright, Ashrem lead on, and stay tight. I’ll be right behind you.” With that said the woodsman turned to take his position in the rear, but Brother Theo interjected.

“What about the kobold, Ander?”

The woodsman’s frown returned, but he nodded and quickly replied to the question. “If you are willing to take the risks, Brother, then give him that old spear you found. Ashrem – you have permission to shoot the kobold dead if you see him level it against any of us.”

The priest nodded and yanked the small spear from his pack and handed it towards the scaly guide. Meepo’s eyes lit up and the kobold knelt face down and extended its claws to receive his gift. Once the spear was resting perfectly in Meepo’s grasp, Pack watched the small guide leap up and march around Aurora growling at the shadows and rock piles that once housed the ambushing rats.

Pack smiled at the image and something in his stomach told the halfling that Ander and Ashrem were wrong about the kobold. The bard somehow knew that Meepo would give his life to protect Aurora, and as Ander walked away scowling, it suddenly made sense to Pack. Ander’s jealous! He wants to be the one to protect Aurora. He really likes her. Ander likes Aurora! Ander likes Aurora!

The bard suddenly aware that the party was moving off without him, skipped to catch up, humming his childish ditty as he did so. Ander and Aurora, strolling by the stream, k-i-s-s-i-n-g! Only the look on Brother Theo’s stern face as he peered into the darkness beyond the torches brought the young bard back to the seriousness of the situation.

The hallway that they descended into was filled with dust and debris from the collapsing ceiling and various piles of rotting garbage. At the far end, Pack could make out a door, and beyond it the feloine’s silhouette kneeling down and inspecting something just beyond the torch’s light. As the group moved closer, he noticed that Ashrem raised a hand to stop them from moving into the room.

Heeding the actions of the feloine scout, Pack and the others halted just shy of the doorway. Peeking around the frame, the halfling was able to see that Ashrem was examining a series of pits, similar to the one in the courtyard: but these had been spiked open. Pack knew that Ashrem hadn’t had time to do it, and this raised many questions in the curious bard’s mind.

As Pack watched, the feloine carefully traced the edges of the pits with his gloved hands and then moved slowly around the floor tracing each crack in the stone. The bard assumed that Ashrem thought there were more traps in the room. Suddenly the calm quiet stillness of the moment was shattered by a cracking thud that shook a door that Pack now noticed in the adjacent wall to his left.

A second thud reverberated through the room and huge cracks appeared in the wooden door. “Guthash,” Pack heard Meepo whisper as the kobold lowered his spear and placed himself between Aurora and the buckling door. Ashrem had begun picking his way back towards them when the door shuddered violently one last time and blew off its hinges. Pieces of the door pelted the furred scout as Pack heard him scream. “Run!”

Without even seeing what had caused the thunderous impact that blew the door outward, Pack panicked and turned to flee. Only Ander’s warning from that direction stopped the halfling from bolting. “There’s more rats back here!”

Pack felt his heart stop as three large rats burst from hidden pits beneath the garbage to block the party’s retreat. Pack recognized these rats from the various wounds that each one sported: just like he would any barbarians who had caused problems at the bar the night before when Worm had been bouncing. These were the filthy rats that had been plaguing them all the way down the hallway.

The halfling’s heart sank and he could feel the fear shooting down all the way to his toes: they were trapped. Trapped like rats!

Pack felt a torch being thrust into his hands as Aurora, a determined looked on her face, stepped up next to him and unleashed one of her signature dragon missiles. The missile spiraled in and blew one of the large rats into small fleshy chunks as it leapt towards the flanked woodsman. The other rat was skewered by a charging spear-wielding kobold that seemed to be mimicking the flight and destructive power of the magical missile - except that the kobold’s rat didn’t explode but rather disintegrated as Meepo kept jumping up and down on it, stabbing it all the while.

The experienced woodsman efficiently dealt with the final ambushing rat and Pack realized that he was not ready to be categorized with these great heroes. They had fought while he had been frozen with fear. Even delicate Aurora, although now visible shaken, had acted while he had not.

“Pack! Get Aurora and Meepo back down the hallway!” Ander yelled and Pack moved to comply while the woodsman dashed toward the room where Theo and Ashrem battled whatever had burst through the door. Pack’s bardic curiosity got the better of him and he peeked into the room as he grabbed for Aurora’s hand. The halfling felt himself begin to shake again at what he saw.
A large white rat, twice the size of Pack himself and covered in boils and sores that oozed with yellow pus, snapped at Theo’s shield. Each bite tore small chunks from the wooden shield as the cleric tried to cover the woodsman as he helped a limping Ashrem toward the door. The feloine’s cloth wrappings were soaked with blood from what seemed to be a large bite right above his hip.

Pack didn’t need to see anymore to know that they were in real trouble and the young bard yanked Aurora’s hand and ran, the kobold guide bounding along behind them. The trio didn’t make it very far before scuffling could be heard behind the walls and the halfling knew that they were about to be ambushed by the remaining rats.

Releasing the sorceress’s hand pack pulled his dagger back out and prepared to hurl it at the first rat that came into view. He also saw Aurora clutch the dragon bone wand and prepare for the raiding rats. Only Meepo stood there staring at Aurora’s hands, seemingly oblivious to the threat that was about to descend upon them.

Then the rats were among them, threatening to overwhelm the trio. Meepo let out a high pitched war cry that sounded like someone had run over a dog with a wagon, and jumped atop one of the four huge vermin, skewering it immediately, while Pack struggled to keep his feet as another tried to bowl him over. Pack heard the flash and sizzle of Aurora’s wand dispatch first one, and then another, leaving only the rat grappling with the halfling. The bard shoved the stinking beast away from him, and saw Ander’s staff crack into the rodent from behind. It fell, it’s back bent in an unnatural shape, and lay still.

“Move!” the woodsman shouted, “Back to the fountain!” Ander was helping to support Ashrem’s weak form, and Pack could see the feloine’s bleeding had not stopped. Finally, as the scout’s form went completely limp, Ander shrugged his blood soaked companion over his shoulder with a grunt and made for the fountain. Running backward, Pack could see Theo retreating from the great white beast step by step, covering their escape with desperate shield work.

Pack ran back to the stone fountain as quickly as his legs could take him. There, he shrugged off his namesake and set it against the wall. Seconds later, Ashrem lay against the backpack, red blood staining his already dirty wrappings. Then Ander streaked off toward Theo. Pack watched in the flickering light as the warrior charged right by the aging cleric and struck the mother of all rats a glancing double handed blow. “Ashrem needs your help now, Brother! He won’t make it without it!”

Theo jangled back toward the other companions and dropped his weapon and shield at Ashrem’s feet, immediately praying fervently to Zuras, his strong hands seeking out the scout’s wound. Pack joined Theo in his work as best he could, mimicking the movements and words that gave Theo his healing hands, but while Theo’s hands glowed with a pale blue light, causing the bite on Ashrem’s side to pucker and close, Pack’s did nothing. “Go help Ander, Pack. We’ll take care of Ashrem.” Theo’s voice was strained and short, and quickly the priest was lost in yet another prayer to the Storm Lord.

Pack stood up and made to rush off towards the fight, but found that the fight had come to him. Not ten feet away, Ander stood locked in combat with the huge white rat. Wrapped up in Ashrem’s healing, the bard had not heard the approaching battle.

Ander looked tired: the woodsman gasped in short breaths and grunted heavily as he struck again and again at the huge beast, and he was covered with small scrapes and scratches. The rat looked worse: one eye was swollen shut, and the beast lurched from side to side, as if it had an injured leg. It also sported a large gash along its side that looked to have been bleeding for some time, as the fur below it was tinged red. In the flickering torchlight, it looked monstrous.

Suddenly the rat lunged forward and sank its teeth deep into Ander’s shoulder. The woodsman screamed in pain and fell to the side, seemingly stunned. “Noooooooo!” Pack screamed and rushed forward, pointing at the man sized beast as he did. Ander leaned heavily on the stone wall as the halfling charged.

The world seemed to slow for the halfling. He saw Ander fall sideways against the well cut stone of the wall. He saw the rat snarl as it brought its attention to its new annoyance. And then he saw his dagger, glinting in the torchlight, slip under the rat’s great fanged maw and sink into the filthy white fur all the way to the hilt. With a gurgling gasp and a shudder, the thing died and slumped to the ground.

Pack followed a moment later, suddenly aware that he had acted like a hero, too.

Next Time:

"Once More Into the Breach, Dear Friends," or "How Come They Get a Wall?"

Last edited:

Enk&D'Shai

First Post
Interlude: Honor among Goblins?

Hello, Everyone. It's me D'shai, just bringing you a tidbit to tide you over as we put the finishing touches on the next installment. Hope you enjoy it.

Interlude:

Retch leaned back against the barricade and yawned. He hated guard duty, especially when it was his day to be with his den’s female. The goblin just knew that the second watch was late on purpose: they were still mad that his den had stolen the kobold’s sacred pet and their den had not even made it past the rats on each of their failed attempts. Kobolds were stupid, and so was the second watch; but not as stupid as the kobolds.

The impatient guard turned and slugged his second in command, Gurga, to let the other four watchmen know that he was in a fowl mood now and they had best leave him alone. When Gurga and the others lowered their eyes and moved away, Retch threw rubble stones at them and their card game for ignoring him.

Retch turned and grabbed his spear and he immediately heard the cursing and swearing behind his back cease. This made the goblin captain proud; it was good to be hated, but better to be feared. During the brief moment of silence, the goblin guard thought he heard something from beyond the door.

With a quick growl to alert the others, the Retch leveled his spear and checked his fortifications. The mortar barricade blocked the guardroom from a long hallway that lead to the rat lands and on to the kobold hive. The hallway was filled with foot spikes and ended in a doorway trapped with a bell alarm. The barricade, too, was obviously trapped with spear tips bent to keep intruders from easily climbing the wall.

Another growl from the captain quieted his watchmen as they scampered to grab spears and load crossbows. “Keep quiet, dogs, or I’ll put ye on feed duty.” He warned, knowing that no goblin wanted to enter the dragon’s room much less stay to face its icy breath as they tried to feed it.

The sound was subtle but the Retch had been guarding this hallway since before kobolds had moved in, and he knew a raid when he heard one. With a quick motion he prodded his spear butt into the ribs of two of his guards and then pointed at the crossbows. Moving aside to let the crossbow wielding goblins room to shoot, the guard captain began loading the remaining two crossbows to hand to them after they fired.

“We go tell Gnosh that kobolds attack?” Gurga whispered.

“We no need Gnosh’s help to steal dragon, we not need Gnosh’s help now. He late. He miss fun.” Retch replied eyeing each of his men as they returned his sharp-toothed grin. “Now get down!”

The two goblins armed with crossbows immediately hunkered down behind the stone barricade while the others shifted behind the wall, out of sight from the hallway. Retch waited: the anticipation of the coming slaughter almost too much for him. Suddenly the bell above the doorway at the far end of the hallway began jingling.

“Fire!” The goblin captain yelled as he quickly jumped out from his hiding space, and immediately the two crossbow goblins rose up and loosed their bolts.

Retch was surprised to see that tall surface walkers stood in the doorway and not the cowardly kobolds. The first outsider, a dark figure wrapped in black cloth, nimbly leapt out of the way of the bolts, but a second figure, dressed in the shiny metal of a surface warrior, was caught unaware and his eyes went wide as the bolts slammed home into his lower belly. The armor-clad figure staggered backwards, obviously in shock, and slumped down grasping at the bolts.

“Aim higher, thoqqua-bait! They more surface walkers not puny kobold enemy!” The captain screamed, smacking his troops on the back of their skulls while they traded the spent crossbows for freshly loaded ones. The transfer wasn’t fast enough though as another outsider jumped into view and used a staff to grab the door edge over the caltrops and pull it closed. Just before the door slammed shut, Retch saw the dark cloth-wrapped outsider thrust his small blade up between the door and frame, cutting the wire that held the alarm bell up. As the trap fell to the floor, useless, the goblin could feel his temper rising.

“What going on here, Retch?” A deep voice boomed behind him.

The goblin captain turned to see Gnosh and his den of troops standing in the doorframe on the far side of the room. Seeing that the second watch had arrived, thus signaling the end of his den’s shift, Retch felt his mood lighten and a toothy grin spread over his lips.

“Boring shift, bell alarm fall, so you be extra watchful. Not take eyes off door - maybe kobold attack soon or more outsiders like the one in shackles now. So… no bones. No cards. No drink. Just watch door!” The goblin eyed his replacement and grinned larger as he saw the look of disgust pass over Gnosh’s face. Retch knew nothing was worse than standing guard on watch, except actually working while on watch. “Or you could pick up spikes, fix bell alarm, and put spikes back down.” The look on the second watch captain’s face told the first watch captain all he needed to know and with that Retch turned, gathered his men and headed home toward the dens.

As they left the room, Gurga pulled up next to him and spoke. “Why we no tell Gnosh about fun.”

Recth glanced behind him, the grin returning to his lips. “They late. They miss fun, now they learn the hard way. Let them suffer with careful watch of door. Outsiders easy anyway, we already kill one. We do our part, probably scare them off.”

Gurga’s returning grin and nods of approval from the remaining pack let Retch know that they agreed and it was time to relax. The captain knew that at least his den had seen the last of the outsiders.

Last edited:

Enk&D'Shai

First Post

And it's post time! Right D'Shai?

Dagnabit! I'm on the phone! Leave me alone!

Well, While D'Shai finishes up that important 900 number call, I'll take this time to say a few things and respond to a few of the comments we've gotten recently.

With GreyShadow's post, we've have just entered the "Wow" zone, where our devoted readers are reduced to saying "wow." Sure, we haven't hit the "wow" zone status of Sepulchrave II's story hours, but at least we're on the way.

As for something Badger said about simple enemies turning out to be not so "simple," buddy, you don't know the half of it. For those familiar with the Sunless Citadel, you might recognize quite a few of the villians we've encountered, but, as you might have figured out by now, not all the villians in that danged module turned out quite the same as the way Cordell wrote them...

Heck, sometimes when the characters look back on the whole thing we still don't know who exactly the good guys were (or even if they were us!).

By the way, D'Shai and I have just noticed that we're getting about 100 views per actual story hour post - if any of the other 70 or so lurkers out there want to post comments, please feel free - we love feedback (especially constructive criticism)!

With a pointed stick!

Well, D'Shai seems to finally done with his "quality time," so let's get moving with a Tip o' the Day.

Tip O' the Day: Never make a man walk the plank if he is wearing a snorkel, fins, and a rubber innertube. Keelhaul 'em instead.

What if there are sharks in the water?

Never works. Dark Knight Brand "Bat Shark Repellant." Ever since that stuff hit the market, you just can't get a decent plank walker.

Adam West and Burt Ward are so going to sue you.

Bring 'em on! What are they now, like 137?

Riiiight. And now...

Ander closed his eyes and tried to concentrate. Nothing was going right and his head pounded like dwarven forge hammers due to the pressure he felt. Theo lay nearby, still unconscious from the crossbow bolts he took in the stomach: he was lucky to be alive. Only Pack’s quick thinking, along with his curing potions, had given the Priest a chance. The halfling bard sat watching over the old cleric, tending his bandages and singing softly to him.

Ashrem paced back and forth in the small, familiar room the kobolds had once again provided them, making it hard for the woodsman to concentrate. The feloine was cursing himself for failing to notice the alarm that had led to Theo’s wounds and cursing even more the fact that they had wasted time on the kobold queen’s “test” in which they almost been killed by the lead rat and its minions. Ander himself was just glad that they had Aurora with them to handle the language barrier and politics of the confusing kobolds. Gods know how we would have dealt with so many of them if she had not been here to interpret. Still, they will be dealt with…

Ander sighed deeply, knowing that it would be awhile more before the sorceress returned from her meeting with the queen. They had all agreed that while Theo was recovering that she should try to get more information about the forces they were about to go up against, especially since the kobold’s leader had been so ‘forthcoming’ in the matter of rats.. Still, he was not happy about her doing it alone, despite the fact that she had Meepo with her.

Thinking of Meepo caused the woodsman to shake his head. The little kobold was an enigma to the ranger. He was as violent as a raging northerner in combat and as docile as a trained dog when he was around Aurora. The kobold never took his eyes off her if he didn’t have to, and some times Ander caught the little bugger mimicking her motions: mimicking all their actions now that he thought about it, even stuffing things in his backpack the way Pack did. It drove him mad, especially the way he would stare at them when his name was mentioned and nod his head as if he understood them. Even more annoying: he would then do exactly what they asked him not to do.

“By Zuras, what happened? Where are we?” Ander glanced over and saw Theo trying to rise up onto his elbows, but pain shot through the priest’s face and he lowered himself back down. “I remember sprouting crossbow bolts in my belly like ears of corn, but what happened after that?”

“Pack dumped two healing draughts down your throat and we high-tailed it back to the kobold safe-room.” Ashrem growled, still obviously upset at the events.

Ander placed his hand on the feloine’s shoulder to calm him. “Are you feeling alright Theo? How long til you can move? I don’t feel comfortable leaving you here alone with the kobolds, while we venture off to find their stolen dragon.”

“Let me pray and with Zuras’ will I shall be fit for combat before Pack can find his flute.”

“I would not rush it.” Ashrem spoke, now that he had apparently composed himself, but certain words still had an icy tone. “We have plenty of time as Lady Aurora and her lap pet ‘Meepo’ are still conversing with our ‘allies’.”

“Nevertheless, I shall be ready in a thunderstroke.” With that Theo began filling the room with his chants and prayers in preparation of the coming conflict with the barricaded goblins.

It wasn’t long before the priest was finished and using his curative magics on himself, and shortly after that, to Ander’s relief, Aurora and Meepo came strolling into the room. The sorceress frowned as she entered but quickly smiled when she saw Theo up and fully recovered. Ander watched as she bounded over and wrapped her slender arms around the cleric’s neck, giving him a slight peck on the cheek as she held on. “Oh, Theo! It’s good to see that you are okay.”

“Yes lass, It’ll take more than a few thorns to stop a priest of Zuras, especially this one.” Theo seemed huge with the small sorceress draped around his neck, and Ander could tell that the priest was beginning to blush from the attention. From the looks on their faces, the others, especially Pack, seemed to find this as amusing as Ander himself did.

“Um Aurora, that’s a hug that Orloff would be proud of, but why don’t you let Brother Theo breath and tell us what you found out.” Ander smiled as it was Aurora’s turn to blush, but the slender female let go of the priest and gathered her composure to give her report.

“Yusdrayl is quite please that we passed her test by defeating Guthash and she has given me some gifts to aid us.” Aurora reached into her pack and produced several rolls of parchment. “These are spells written on scrolls. Two are for you, Brother Theo. I know they are not hymns from Zuras, but keep them in case we need them. Yusdrayl said they were healing chants. She also gave me two more, but I haven’t deciphered them yet.”

Theo walked forward and accepted the scrolls from Aurora, but it was obvious from the disdain the priest showed that it would take dire circumstances before he enacted another God’s spells. The woodsman doubted that he would ever understand the fanaticism of devout church followers: it was too much like putting all your eggs in one basket. I wouldn’t go to a blacksmith for a good weapon when the weapon smith is just around the corner, so why should I limit myself to asking one god for a favor when another might do it better. To each wolf his own pack, I suppose.

“Well before the wine turns sour, let’s us plan out our attack. Aurora, fill us in with any new information as we do it.” Ander kept his voice flat, trying to get the other to understand how important it was that they have a plan and stick to it to avoid further setbacks and injuries. When he had met everyone’s gaze, he continued. “Aurora, ask Meepo if they have anything we can use to cross the spikes with.”

“Like what?” The bemused sorceress questioned.

“A table or a door might work.” The feloine answered before Ander himself could.

Aurora immediately turned and spoke to the kobold. It was unnerving to the woodland warrior to hear her voice mimic that type of guttural speech, but it was necessary. The question took several exchanges to answer but finally the sorceress turned and addressed the party. “Meepo says that he can go check but most of the wood has been used already for their barricades and fortifications.”

“That was a long conversation for such a short answer.” Pack joked.

“Well, he was curious about our ‘door fetish.’ You see I asked him about doors earlier and then again just now…Can we just move on?” Ander smiled as Aurora’s face turned red again, and the woodsman decided to save her.

“Okay, well we did see some rubble and broken furniture in the area we fought the rats; that will just have to do. Anybody have anything else?”

Theo spoke up. “I will ask Zuras for a cloud of mist to obscure the vision of the goblins to keep them from pelting us with bolts while we take care of the spikes.”

“And I can be the one to lay the boards down for the rest of you since I have Rosehaven’s cloak.” Pack interjected. “I have been testing it when we have been walking, and it’s incredible. No matter how much debris and stuff is on the floor, I always manage to find a firm safe place to put my foot. I don’t know how it works, I mean I even tried to step on some sharp boards but nope, nothing, my boot found a firm stable foothold. Glass, rocks…”

“We get the point, Pack.” Ander knew that if he didn’t interrupt the halfling he would talk for hours. “Just be careful, even with the mists they will still be firing at you. Aurora you give Theo cover with your magical missiles….”

“Missile!” The bark of the small kobold made everyone stop and turn to watch as Meepo looked on excitedly, anxiously waiting for the blue dragons to fly from Aurora’s finger tips.

“Oh goody!” Aurora clapped. “He’s starting to learn.”

“Cover Theo with your dragon darts while he casts….,

“Prays” The priest put in.

Ander sighed and eyed the cleric, who only raised his eyebrows in return.

“… as he prays and Pack you get the boards down on top of the spikes as soon as the mists give you enough cover to do so. Ashrem and I will then take the fight to them…”

Ander looked things over once again: Ashrem was poised by the door ready to spring it open with Pack right behind him, boards in hand; Theo and Aurora waited patiently for Ander’s signal to begin casting; and Meepo looked around like a lost child. Confident that everything was in order, the woodsman gave the signal.

Ashrem pushed the door open and then fell back to allow Pack room to move around him. Aurora loosed a dragon missile through the open doorway while Theo began chanting: white mists billowed from his mouth as he did so.

Ander heard surprised yelps and activity from down the hallway but they soon turned to panicked yells as the mists rolled steadily through. It seemed to Ander that everything was going as planned, until the lights dimmed and became nearly useless due to the dense fog. Suddenly it wasn’t just the goblins who sounded confused and disorganized, and the woodsman heard the sharp twang of crossbows followed by Aurora’s feminine scream.

“ROAR-AH!” Ander heard Meepo yell as the woodsman ran towards the sound of her cry.

As he rushed through the mist, Ander saw Aurora slumped against the wall, a crossbow bolt jutting out from her shoulder. He watched as Theo pulled her out of the line of fire so he could attend the wound, but what worried the woodsman more was Meepo. The small kobold just stood there breathing heavily, staring in the direction that the bolt had come from: the ranger swore that he saw froth forming on the corners of the kobold’s mouth.

Before he could look more closely though, another volley of crossbow bolts rebounded through the hallway and Ander heard Pack yell for him. “Ander the boards are all down!”

“Ashrem, get ready!” was all that Ander yelled back before Meepo screamed at the top of his lungs.

“Meepo!” The woodsman cried, but it was too late. The enraged kobold sprinted off at full speed through the mists toward the goblin barricade. Ander ran after him trying to keep the small fellow in view and he watched as the scaly warrior leapt, using Pack’s huddled form as a springboard, and cleared the barricade, spear-point first.

The mists were too thick for Ander to view what happened beyond the barricade, but the gurgling thud of something trying to breath with a spear sticking through its lungs was clearly audible. The ranger then started navigating the halfling’s carefully laid out boards, trying hard to go as quickly as he could due to the sounds of intense combat on the other side of the barrier.

While the woodsman maneuvered over the boards, he watched Pack retreat back down to relieve Theo and wondered how the raging kobold had managed to get through without stepping on any spikes. When he finally reached the barricade, Ander climbed over, being careful to avoid the cruel barbs set atop.

As he climbed, the warrior noticed that Meepo had apparently gone berserk and held four goblins at bay with nothing more than a broken spear haft. Ander jumped down from atop the barricade and escaped out from the dense fog, bringing his staff to bear on the first goblin that came into range. The goblins, seeing an enemy that wasn’t a berserking kobold, quickly closed in on the lone ranger.

Ander spun away, forcing the rushing goblins to put their backs towards the barricade in order to fight him. The woodsman parried and dodged the goblins’ thrusts and smiled as he saw Ashrem’s black form emerge silently from the fog directly behind the attacking goblins. The feloine’s deadly blade pierced the backside of one, pushing out through its chest, before any of the goblins even noticed his presence.

The surprised goblins panicked even more when Meepo jumped on the closest one’s back and began biting its ear off, growling like a wild animal the entire time. Ander noticed, as he smashed the closest goblin with his staff, that the kobold was bleeding from multiple wounds, including his feet where small spikes had become embedded in his soles. The small scaly warrior looked exhausted and hurt, but he continued clawing and biting until the goblin he rode was dead, and then he too closed his eyes and fell backwards.

“Theo, we need your healing up here!” Ander yelled as he pointed for Ashrem to check the far door, fearing that the sounds of combat might have alerted reinforcements. The woodsman waited until Theo clambered over the wall and then he jumped up to check on Ashrem.

Ander joined the feloine at the door, where Ashrem placed his ears to the door and growled very low. “Get ready, they are almost on us.”

“Okay, we stand here. We can’t let them have this room back, it was too hard to take,” the woodsman proclaimed addressing the entire group. “Pack, guard Meepo and Aurora. Theo keep back until they are in the room.”

“I don’t need to be guarded!” Aurora shot back. Ander could see the burning fire in her eyes aimed right at him, but he also saw the tear in her blouse where the crossbow bolt had been.

Ander was saved from having to answer the sorceress’ stinging gaze when the door swung open and goblins swarmed into the room. The woodsman counted five armed little savages as they swarmed past him, and then he moved in behind them, closing the door to cut off any escape.

The goblins skidded to stop when they realized that their guards were dead and that they were now surrounded. Ander twirled his staff and moved in toward the first of the snarling creatures. Tiny blue dragons flew in and blew its face right off though before he could connect with his swing. Not to waste a motion, the woodsman reversed his swing and stepped in to smack the next goblin in line.

Once again, his swing was too late, as two more missiles blasted this goblin from its feet, nearly knocking his lifeless form into the ranger. Ander glared at Aurora but the sorceress only smiled and a semi-conscious Meepo wagged his tail like a happy puppy.

Turning his attention back to the fray, Ander saw Theo deliver an overhand swing that finished the goblin engaging him, but Ashrem was in trouble. The feloine was caught between two of the amber skinned devils. The woodsman noted that these two fought in tandem with each other moving in and out, keeping the feloine off balance with short arcing cuts. Already trickles of blood could be seen on Ashrem’s armor, while the two goblins seemed relatively untouched.

Ander moved in on one with a mighty two handed swing, but he misjudged the speed of the agile goblin and his blow only smacked into the stone floor. The woodsman noticed that Theo’s rescuing swing had a similar effect on the other side of the winded feloine. Even with both swings missing their mark, Ander knew that Ashrem wouldn’t waste the distraction.

As if on cue, the feloine sprang backwards off the wall and vaulted over his confused foes, landing right beside the woodsman. Neither warrior wasted a breath. Moving like a pack wolf and hunting cat, the two soon had one of the goblins isolated and flanked, leaving the last one for Theo to deal with.

The goblin smiled, showing Ander that he wasn’t out of surprises of his own, and a small curved dagger found its way to his left hand to join the small sword in his right. The woodsman rained in blow after blow with his quarterstaff but the small target dodged and weaved, avoiding every one. The agile goblin even managed to keep Ashrem from landing any of his well-timed shots. Still Ander knew that the goblin was riding on luck, soon he would make a mistake and he and Ashrem would make him pay.

It was Ander, however, that made the first mistake. The woodsman heard the familiar buzz of Aurora’s missiles and chanced a glance over to see the twin dragons strike the goblin engaged with Theo. When Ander glanced back to see the short blade of the goblin dipping beneath his defenses, he knew that he had erred.

Ander watched as the blade slid into his leather jack, just under his ribs. The pain almost overwhelmed the young warrior and only his training kept his staff in motion enough to deflect the dagger that the goblin tried to follow-up with. The woodsman staggered backward trying to keep his distance from the attacking creature but the goblin had whet his blade and followed with a flurry of blows.

Through the waves of pain, Ander fought on. The woodsman noticed, as he dodged and parried, that the goblin focused all of his attention on him, and had seemingly forgotten about the deadly feloine. That was the goblin’s mistake.

A moment later, Ander slumped against the wall, smiling at Ashrem, as the feloine cleaned his blade on the goblin’s lifeless corpse. Theo jogged over to tend Ander’s wound even though the priest showed a few of his own. Aurora also came over, a concerned look on her face. The look slowly changed to a shy smile as Theo’s healing chant closed his deep gash.

“Okay, we need a breather before we advance. Ashrem, scout ahead but stay hidden.”

“I think it may be too late for that, Ander.” Ashrem’s voice sounded calm, but the ranger knew that the feloine was upset. “It seems our little Pack has already taken it upon himself to do just that.”

The woodsman was on his feet instantly eyeing the door that now stood slightly ajar. With a few long strides the woodsman reached the door and yanked it open the remaining way. A short hallway stood on the other side that veered sharply to the right, and as he watched a small figure came bolting around the corner...

Next Time:

"Double Vision," or "You Never Gnome Who to Trust"

Last edited:

Enk&D'Shai

First Post

D'Shai? What the heck are you doing?

Packing! Only 60 more days until the ENWorld Ohio Gameday!

Uh, I hate to break it to you, but that's still about 2 months away.

Yeah, but I get to be a player, Enk. You hear? A PLAYER!

So?

That means the return of the ultimate swashbuckling pirate character!

Why do I ask... I suppose that he'll have an eyepatch?

As a matter of fact, yes he will. How did you know?

Because all of your characters have an eyepatch. Geez, why don't you come up with something, oh, I don't know, original?

Like a swashbuckling pirate beholder? With an eyepatch! A really big eyepatch! I got the idea out of the new Dragon!

Yeah. That's exactly what I meant. Sometimes your mind reading abilities amaze even me.

Well, when your working with such a small space it's easy to find what you're looking for. So let me try again - you're going to play a fighter and show all these ENWorlders exactly how bad you roll. Or will you play a non-combative cleric, mage, bard, or something else that doesn't have to roll to hit?

That's it, I'm taking my dice and going home.

But you are home. And those are my dice. Wouldn't want to have another "dice incident," would we?

How was I supposed to know Champ was using Fett's dice? And we found 'em anyway. Well, most of them, at least. Can we just move along? You've managed to dredge up every painful gaming memory I have, all the way back to childhood so far. Too much more an I'll just, well, develop psoriasis.

It's a good thing you weren't involved in the photocopier incident or we'd be here all day. Oh well, TIP O' THE DAY!

Never throw dice at the gaming table - especially when they're not yours. Corollary to the Tip of the Day: never make fun of your DM when he is gearing up to actually play, you slacker.

You know, I'd normally say I'd been duly berated, but I know where you keep your high school prom pictures, mullet boy.

You're in those pictures too, baby face.

And on with the show!

This week's post gives us a little break in the action, so take a deep breath, as it gets bumpy from here on out. We're also trying out using multiple points of view in a single post, so bear with us!

Theo knew instantly that it was Pack careening toward them by the oversized rucksack that rested on his back, but the priest had never seen the bard run so fast. As the halfling fully rounded the corner, two bolts shattered against the wall behind him and a third sank harmlessly into his backpack.

Theo rushed past the halfling brandishing his flail. “Quickly, before they can sound another alarm.”

The great war priest then bounded forward, prepared for a mighty horde of goblins. What instead awaited him were three crossbow-laden goblins frantically trying to reload. Theo lowered his head behind his shield and rushed the closest one. The cleric’s charge smashed into the goblin, lifting him off the ground and propelling him backwards into a wall followed by the full force and weight of the rushing cleric.

The sickening snap of crushed bones echoed through the large chamber the cleric now found himself in. The room was long and narrow, with straw targets at the near end and a short barrier blocking the other. The barrier resembled a crude archer’s wall and behind it stood more goblins, crossbows at ready.

Theo pulled his shield around, back to a defensive position, allowing the crushed goblin to slide lifelessly to the floor. The priest barely brought his shield to bear as the two rear goblins loosed their bolts, granting cover fire to the retreating pair. The bolts slammed into the cleric’s shield splintering the already damaged wood.

“Always carry a round shield lads! Archers can’t resist; it looks just like a practice target!” Theo cried at the passing woodsman and feloine, who both shot a glance back at the crude circular targets near the priest, before speeding on ahead.

Theo also moved forward, admiring his two warrior companions as they engaged the panicked goblins. They poor creatures had not been able to get the bows loaded, nor their melee weapons drawn, before the twin furies were upon them weaving their destructive dance. Only one goblin survived the initial assault by ducking under the crude wall, and he ran with all his heart trying to get to an adjoining hallway.

Theo almost felt bad for it as he stepped right into the path of the terrified creature swinging his flail to meet its face. The ensuing impact caused the goblin’s nose to explode and propelled its head backwards. The priest followed through with the well placed blow, causing the creature’s feet to cartwheel back over its head as the body tried to continue its frantic run forward.

“I think we got them before they could cry for help.” Ander said while the war priest removed his water skin and began cleaning his flail head.

“I agree.” Ashrem chimed in. “But besides the way we entered, two passages and a door also lead from this room. If a goblin had managed to escape before we got here, it could have been in any direction.”

Theo looked up once he had finished with his cleansing task and peered around, taking a moment to look down each dark hallway as far as their meager spells and torches allowed. Each hallway appeared long and empty, filling the priest with a sense of dark foreboding that caused him to mutter a quick prayer to the Storm Lord. “Wash away my doubts, Zuras, as your rains have cleansed a thousand valleys, and grant me the strength, like your tornados, to follow my path.”

“Say one for the rest of us as well, good Theo.” Ander cut in. “I think we could all use a little divine inspiration.”

The priest turned and saw that the entire group was now lined up next to him eyeing the dark hallways, and each member of the small band had the same disheartened look upon their face. It appeared to the experienced cleric that the wounds of battle, both physical and mental, were beginning to wear on the young heroes. One he could cure with Zuras’ divine gift, the other one was up to the individual to overcome. Still, Theo prayed, a little inspiration couldn’t hurt, a sign that they were actually helping and making headway.

“Oy! Is somebody out there? How ‘bout a bit o’ help in here?”

Aurora’s ears perked up at the sound of the thin voice. “Did you hear that?” she asked to no one in particular.

“Yes, Lady, I did.” Ashrem answered. Aurora could almost hear the curiosity in his velvety voice. “And I believe it came from the other side of this door.” The feloine glided over the stone floor toward the source of the sound.

“Careful, Ash. Theo, Pack, take that side – I’ll take this one. Aurora, you and Meepo guard the rear.”

“Pixie Dust! I’m not helpless here, Ander!”

“Aurora, this isn’t about…”

“I said,” Aurora let the ice in her voice show her anger, “I am not helpless.”

Ander looked at the sorceress with sad eyes, and she felt as if she had just been hit with another crossbow bolt. As her stomach sank, she could see the worry in face. After an awkward pause, the woodsman answered again, this time with more calm in his voice. “Aurora, you and Meepo take Pack’s spot. Pack, keep an eye out behind us.” Aurora looked over at Pack, and the halfling shrugged back at her in response while he moved into position.

During this exchange, Ashrem had been busily checking over the door itself, with a little ‘help’ from Meepo who mimicked the feloine’s motions perfectly. When he was done, Ashrem turned back toward his companions and with a nod that Aurora assumed to be an ‘all clear’ signal, he pulled the door open.

“I was wondering when you would finally get around to doing that.” The voice they heard was weak, yet strangely merry. “Never expected me rescuers to be havin’ a domestic squabble ‘afore they busted me out.”

The flickering torches barely lit the interior of the room Ashrem had opened. The feloine led the way in, with Ander following close behind. Meepo then slinked in, ushered forward by Aurora, who in turn was guided by the Brother Theo’s reassuring hand. In the chamber sat thirteen small, huddled, and chained forms. Almost all of them were kobolds, but one was something small and bearded, and adorned with a huge nose. It was this person that continued speaking. “Well? What are ye waiting for?”

“Who are ye, er I mean, who are you?” Pack said from behind the friends. As he worked his way underneath the crowd toward the front, Aurora began to see why Ander had asked her to guard the rear. “Why are you here? And where are you from?”

“Well, I’m from all over the place, really. I’m here because I got captured by those stinking goblins. And, me name is Erth Snydenose, at yer service. I’d shake your hand, but I’m a bit tied up at the moment.” The little man hefted his chains to punctuate his point. “Anything else you want to know before you get me free?”

Ander answered the prisoner. “No, that should do for a start. Ash, you think you can get him free?”

“Give me a moment of relative peace, and I do believe I could.”

“In the meantime, Erth, maybe you should tell us a bit more about how you came to be here…”

“Of course, me lad. Me mates and I had been contracted to…”

Aurora watched as the feloine inspected the chains, tracing the links up and down the length of the open cell. Just as he set to work in earnest, Meepo tugged at the sorceress’ hand. He whispered to her in broken draconic, “Rora Angel free Meepo clan-mates now?”

“I didn’t know those kobolds were from you’re clan, Meepo.”

“Yes, from clan. Free now?” The kobold looked up at her with pleading eyes, like her youngest brother asking for a bit of pastry. “Please?”

In the short time since Aurora had met the kobold, Meepo had never asked for anything. On the contrary, the scaly beast had instead given the sorceress and her friends as much help as he could, without a second thought. He had even fought beside them, and, from what Theo had said while healing her bolt wound, had led the initial charge to the goblins behind the halfwall. Aurora couldn’t find it in her heart to tell him no.

The sorceress moved around the three companions interrogating the little man – Actually, he looks a lot like a gnome, now that I think about it. Careful not to interrupt their conversation, she came up to the feloine. “Ashrem, do you think we can set the kobolds free as well? They’re part of Meepo’s clan.”

The scout growled at the sound of Meepo’s name, and Aurora instinctively looked around for the kobold. Meepo had strayed from his normal place at her side and was instead talking with the other kobolds in the cell, spending just a few moments with each in turn as he made his rounds.

“I do not believe I will have a choice in the matter, Lady, as their bonds are interconnected. Freeing the gnome – so he is a gnome - will free the lot of them.”

“It needs to be done anyway. Not only is it the right thing to do for Meepo, I think it will make it easier for us to deal with Yusdrayl after we get the dragon. I don’t think we should trust her.”

Ashrem regarded her with a long stare. “My Lady, that is the first thing I have heard you say regarding the kobolds that makes sense. Now, if you will excuse me?” The sorceress fumed at the feloine, anger flashing in her eyes, and was about to retort when she heard a quiet huffing chuckle. She had heard it once before, after the oh-so-proper scout had snuck up on Pack during their journey overland.

“Are you making fun of me, Ashrem?” She let a bit of steel creep into her tone.

Ashrem continued focusing on his work as he answered, “I would never seek to embarrass a Lady, my Lady.” He tried, unsuccessfully, to keep the humor out of his voice. He cleared his throat, “However, I believe you are correct about the level of trust we should place in the kobolds.” He paused for a moment, as if ready to say more, and looked over toward Meepo, who was finishing his rounds of the kobold prisoners. “You should check on your pet, Aurora, before he rouses the rabble.”

Aurora stepped away from the feloine, perplexed by his manner as always, and patted Meepo on the head. When she did so, she saw the chained kobolds’ eyes widen, and several fell to their knees. What has Meepo been saying to them, I wonder? “Come on Meepo, let Ashrem do his work.” The kobold guide took her hand and waddled away from the prisoners. Then she patted him over to an empty corner of the room and turned her attention back to the gnome, who seemed to be finishing his tale.

“…and that’s about all, I guess.”

“Gods,” Pack exclaimed, “that’s amazing! So you and your band of stalwart fellows were hired by a powerful mage to find a magic elixir and came to this underground keep and fought the goblins we saw and you threw that spear through the goblin and pinned it to the wall and then you fought the rats where you got separated from your friends and run into a goblin patrol who captured you and beat you and put you here?”

“Well, I would have said it with more breaths, and in fact I did. And I would have given more detail, which, come to think of it, I also did. But yes, that does sound familiar. Mage, elixir, keep, goblins, rats, captured – yes, that about covers it.”

Theo interrupted, “There’s only one thing I have a question on, Erth. How did someone of your, ahem, stature manage to bury a spear through a goblin and into solid stone?”

“That would be from me chain gauntlets. If I were wearing them right now, I imagine I could’ve broken through these chains already.”

As Erth pointed to the chains, the metal links began to move with a clinking sound. Then, suddenly, the main chain connecting Erth’s bonds to the both the wall and the rest of the prisoners snaked through the rings holding it. Aurora looked over at Ashrem, who was yanking arm length after arm length of rusty iron through the rings set into the walls and depositing them in a heap at his feet. Soon, the gnome and a dozen kobolds stood, and moved gingerly around the room, as if testing their legs to see if they still worked.

“I’m much obliged to ye, friends. Now what about these shackles?” The gnome again held out his arms, which had been bound securely with manacles. “Might I impose on ye a bit more?”

“Ashrem? You think you can do these too?”

“Of course, Ander. Give me a moment to collect my tools, please.”

Aurora stepped away from the gnome to give the feloine room to work, as did Ander and Theo. Pack, however, continued talking. “So where will you be going when we get you loose? Want to come with us?”

“No, me boy. I don’t think so. I need to be getting back into friendlier lands. You see, I got…”
Aurora’s attention was pulled from the conversation by the feeling she was being watched. She looked behind her, and saw a row of thirteen kobolds staring at her back. Meepo stood in the center of the former prisoners. As if on cue, they kobolds moved quickly in two lines up to the sorceress, and each kobold in turn knelt at her feet. They proceeded back away from Aurora and silently lined up before Meepo.

Then, each kobold embraced the small guide and shuffled out the door. On their way out the opening, they murmured something to Meepo that Aurora could barely make out. “Aurora angel bless us all. Meepo save us all. We not forget…” Again, the sorceress wondered what their guide had told the kobolds, but by the time she found her voice the prisoners were gone, heading back in the direction of the kobolds’ home.

Meepo simply looked at her, showed his teeth in what she had come to recognize as a smile, and promptly sat down where he was to fiddle with one of the goblins’ discarded crossbows.

She started toward the guide, full of questions, when she felt a hand on her backside. Stifling a squeal, she jumped out of the way of the hand’s owner.

“Sorry lass! Just on me way, you know.” Erth sauntered by the sorceress and stood framed in the doorway. He turned back toward Aurora and the rest of the friends. “Now remember, if ye find me gloves, or the elixer, I’d be appreciative if…”

“We’ve got it, Erth.” Ander waved to the gnome. “Look for us in Icemist. Hopefully we won’t be away too much longer. You sure you don’t need supplies before you go?”

“I’ve told ye, lad – I can take care of meself.”

“Gods watch over you then.”

“And over you.” The gnome turned away to leave, but looked over his shoulder as he moved slowly away. “Remember, lads and lassie, I owe you one.” Then he was gone.

Aurora turned back toward her friends. “Well? Which of the hallways do we check first?”

Next Time!

"Sorry, Wrong Door," or "RUN AWAY!

Enk&D'Shai

First Post
"Sorry, Wrong Door," or "RUN AWAY!"

Alright, give me back my sandwich.

No way. You know the rules: no food til turkey day.

D'Shai, we went over this last year. Getting ready for turkey day does not mean that I have to starve myself for a week before hand.

Last year you filled up after the 17th helping. This year you're going for the record!

What record?

I don't know. Bill Shatner's Greatest Hits?

Now you're just being silly. And not in a good way. Now give me back my sandwich.

No need to froth at the mouth. I'll get you a new one.

What happened to the old one?

Yoda the dog ate it.

WHAT?

Look you're obviously sufferring from malnutrition. Just like when you went on that all Grape Nuts diet and got 'regular'. Why don't you go sit down and I'll make you a new sandwich.

Right now I don't feel like arguing. Just make sure the sandwich is real this time. Two slices of bread with an IOU for the bologna does not a sandwich make.

And now it's time for the Tip O' the Day! This is one I came up with while helping Enk diet this week.

Burping creates room for more food, so drink lots of carbonated beverages.

Hmm, I don't remember bologna being green. Oh well, he's probably delerious by now and won't notice...

LiVeWiRe gripped his weapon and gulped as he looked over the horde of approaching goblins. The orange skinned devils grinned wide, displaying their sharp yellow teeth as they marched into the large room. Columns upon columns of the neatly lined troops filed in, stamping their feet and brandishing their weapons. “Um, are you sure this is what you guys wanted?”

“Yes it is.” Black Bard heroically answered. “Just like the heroes of Icemist, we shall prevail.”

“HULK DO ANYTHING THAT WORM DO.” The large barbarian answered as well. “HULK WISH WORM WAS HERE. NOT FRAIDY DEADWIRE.”

“I hate to be the voice of reason boys, but they do outnumber us by just a few…..thousand.” Dawn chimed in while patting the hulking green warrior on the shoulder. “How’s the lock coming Ashy?”

“It’d be fine, if these ol’ tiefer hands would stop shaking s’much. Blasted rust. Somefin ain’t right with a berk wot’ll design a dungeon with doors that automatically lock behind a blood.”

“Fear not, Ashy!” The noble Badger called. “We shall protect you as Meepo protects Aurora.”

“I agree.” The dark bard continued. “They shall lay down their lives so that your nimble fingers may open the door that allows me to take your triumphant deeds back to the masses, so that you may be remembered as heroes, just like Ander and Ashrem.”

“Doesn’t it seem odd that they all look the same?” Rel asked.

“Not exactly, Rel,” Thorntangle answered. “Actually, they all look like the goblins described in goblin interlude. See, there’s Retch, and then Retch again.”

“But, how is that possible!” LiVeWiRe’s exaclamation surprised everyone, even himself.

“Say, you’re HULK,” Rel explained, “Then say your PC broke right about the same time that the goblin interlude was posted. Then you make a wish to fight the goblin nation on some ring you found. It seems to me that all the goblins would look like ones you were familiar with.”

“Aye, make’s sense to this ol’ tiefer”

“That’s it, game over man.” Livewire started repeating. “We’re all going to die. Game over.”

“I think he’s been waiting his whole life to quote that.” Dawn remarked while rolling her eyes.

“HULK GETTING MAD! HULK NOT LIKE BILL PAXTON!”

“Guys, I think I have an idea.” Badger smiled.

TO BE CONTINUED.

Whoops! Wrong story! Start again...

"Sorry, Wrong Door," or "RUN AWAY!"

Ashrem ran his gloved hand over the rough wood of the door, being very careful not to make any sounds. The feloine’s sharp hearing had detected the high-pitched whiney voices of several goblins just beyond the wooden portal, so there was no reason to suspect a trap; however, the feloine scout liked to be thorough.

He almost growled when the gloves caught on another small splinter as he tried to trace the outline of the door. The gloves made his job more difficult, yet he had become strangely accustomed to wearing them - he seemed to be in disguise all of the time since he had woke up that cold morning.

It had been a year, and yet he still struggled to piece it all together. One minute he was running through the woods as demons chased him; the next he was lying in a snowdrift barely able to move.

With a quick look over his shoulder, Ashrem realized that everyone was waiting for his signal before moving forward. He also knew that, down in these catacombs, his disguise was pointless. His companions already knew and accepted him for what he was, Meepo being the exception, but the great cat didn’t think the kobold had the social capabilities to care. The feloine removed the glove and again ran his claws over the surface of the door, looking for any indication of a trap. He didn’t find any, and he also discerned that the door was not bolted or barred in any manner.

Once again he turned and eyed his companions, but this time he held up four fingers while motioning towards the door. He paused and waited for some form of visual recognition from the group - the feloine knew that Ander understood his hand signals, but he wanted to make sure everyone else did as well before entrusting his life to them. The nodding of heads and readying of various weapons were all the indications he needed.

The feloine set his ear to the door one last time, making sure that the goblins were still unaware of their imminent peril, and then he too unsheathed his blade and pushed into the door.

Ashrem’s training kicked in as soon as he pushed against the door and the feloine took a quick account of the room as he tucked and rolled. He dodged a small cooking fire and four stunned goblins as he tumbled to the far side of the room, cutting off any easy escape through the second door now at his back. The goblins all scattered, grabbing for weapons and pieces of armor. The feloine would have been impressed at their lack of fear given the situation but he instead felt disgust because he realized that this was a watch post and that these goblins were anything but watchful. A good soldier is always vigilant and never lets his guard down…

Then why did you leave your squad when they were defenseless?

The sudden change in thoughts distracted the feloine as he searched for an answer: an answer that had eluded him ever since the night he had abandoned his post and let his friends die. Only Ander’s warning cry managed to drag the feloine back into the fight in enough time to deflect a spear thrust and avoid a pot of boiling water hurled his way.

Ashrem cursed himself as he saw the element of surprise was lost, for now the four armed goblins posed a significant threat in the small room. Theo and Ander fought from the doorway on the far side leaving Ashrem two of the grinning devils to handle on the near side.

The feloine felt the rage churning up inside him as the goblins’ toothy grins mocked him, reminding him of the sharp fanged demons who hunted him in the woods after slaughtering his company. Instinctively, he suppressed the boiling urge and steadied into a defensive rhythm. Block, deflect, swing, thrust, block, move: the feloine danced in and out of the two goblins. They seemed baffled by his intricate fencing moves, just as Ashrem guessed they would, coming from a ‘might makes right’ society.

Ashrem tested the goblins skill for a few moments more and then with practiced ease he turned his defense to offense, letting Razor’s keen edge slit each goblin’s throat as easily as it would slice fishing twine. The bodies collapsed the floor and convulsed several times before blood began to well up from the precise cuts.

“I thought they had you there, Ash.” Ander said as he stepped over the fallen bodies, examining the feloine’s handiwork. “You okay? That’s the second time I’ve seen you daze out during a fight.”

“Just a memory, Ander, nothing more. I assure you it will not happen again.” Ash replied turning away from the ranger. “I think I should scout ahead in case we were heard.”

“Right, but if you need to talk Ash...”

Ashrem did not bother to respond: he had no words to tell his story. He did not have them the day the woodsman, his closest friend, found him in the snowdrift, and he did not have them now. In any event, he was best to leave the past in the past. All he could do now was make certain that his debt was repaid to the village that had healed him. Maybe there was still time for him to do some good before he faced his own kind and the swift retribution due to one who had deserted their King’s ranks.

Lost in thought, the scout pulled open the new door and drifted silently into the hallway. Once lost in the shadows beyond Aurora’s light spell and Pack’s torch, he turned his attention back on the task at hand, losing himself in his actions as he searched for any signs of the thieving goblins or the lost dragon.

The feloine found himself in a short hallway that ended in another door, and even in the dim lighting his sharp eyes made out clearly the crude symbol of Meepo’s kobold clan, etched deeply into the aged wood. Ashrem stared at the symbol in disbelief for several moments; soon he felt the familiar bubblings of the rage building inside himself yet again. With a sudden twist he turned and stepped back into the room where his companions rested, and more importantly where Meepo sat.

“Meepo what is beyond this hallway?” The feloine growled coldly, staring right at the kobold.

“What’s the matter, Ash?” Ander asked, stepping in front of the fuming scout.

Ashrem sidestepped his friend and stared at the sorceress. “Aurora, ask ‘Meepo’ where this passage leads.”

“Not if you don’t calm down and ask nicely.” She quipped back, shoving the confused kobold behind her.

“Aurora, please.” This time the feloine left the ice off his tone. “I need to know where we are.”

Aurora glared at him for several heartbeats but then turned and spoke to the confused kobold. The kobold responded to the Sorceress’ words and this time Aurora looked confused. “He says that his clan is on the other side of the door.”

“What?” Pack, Theo and Ander all seemed to say at the same time. “How?”

“We have traveled in a circle.” Ashrem eyed the kobold as he talked and moved closer to the creature. “Maybe another ‘test’ from the queen? Or perhaps there is no dragon to be saved and they are just trying to get us killed while we eliminate some of their enemies too?”

Ashrem knew that Aurora could see the look in his eyes because she hastily turned and began blabbering to the scaly warrior. Meepo nodded his head and answered both with words and a visual demonstration that consisted of smacking his head and falling on the floor in an imitated death scene. The feloine stared hard at the sorceress and her pet, and he could see that Aurora was biting her cheek to avoid laughing. Ashrem could feel the rage boiling again until she responded.

“Meepo says that they don’t use that hallway anymore: not since the accident.” The lady was literally holding back a laugh at this point. “Neither do the goblins. It is the most trapped passage in the entire keep and both clans are scared witless by it.”

“Explains why they weren’t really on guard over here.” Pack remarked as he kicked one of the lifeless goblin corpses.

“Still, this would have been much easier than trying to go over that wall.” Theo rubbed his belly where the crossbow wounds had been. “Maybe we need to phrase our questions differently for our guide, to take into account his own superstitions and experiences?”

“I agree.” Ander started in, but the feloine had heard enough and he quickly crossed the room to exit out of the original door looking for signs that might get them done with this damnable quest and away from the cursed kobolds.

Ashrem sulked down the hallway until it filled out into a larger chamber lined with ornate marble pillars leading to a large metal door. Torches sat comfortably in sconces on each pillar, though only a trio of them still flickered and smoked. The feloine’s warning senses sprang into action and he silently slid into the shadows of the pillars to gauge his next action.

With just a brief hesitation, Ashrem slid silently up to the door, hoping to get a good listen before reporting back to Ander and the others. The feloine closed his eyes and listened once he was hidden close enough to the large door. A constant rumble emanated from the other side, the kind of rumbling that often springs from a large group of individuals moving around in an enclosed space.

“Ashrem?” The feloine’s eyes shot open at the slight whisper of Pack’s voice, and the scout was surprised to see that the small bard had made it up to the large door without him noticing. The halfling had left behind his torch, and somehow crept past the scout.

The feloine padded quietly toward the halfling in case there were alert guards on the other side of the portal. He kept silent until he realized that Pack was going to open the door.

“Hold!” He heard himself cry, but it was too late. Ashrem watched as Pack turned to face him, a smile growing on his cherubic face, but the halfling’s ever busy hands continued to pull the metal door open as if they had a mind of their own. The agile feloine threw himself forward, bowling the small bard over as he slammed the door closed before it could be opened more than a few hands wide.

Ashrem continued his tumble, carrying Pack with him, until he was behind the pillars on the opposite side of the room. The feloine slapped one hand over the dazed halfling’s mouth to stop any barrage of questions before they started. With the other hand he silently shushed the bard.

The metal door creaked open, and Ashrem suddenly realized he was holding his breath. A pair of steel shod boots clanked over the stone floor into the middle of the chamber and stopped on the other side of the pillar the scout was hiding behind. Then a goblin voice called out, as if searching for something or someone. After a handful of thudding heartbeats, the boots clanked back toward the heavy door. Just as the door began squeaking and creaking closed, Ashrem saw a growing glow from down the hall. An overloud whisper accompanied the light, “Pack! Ashrem! Where are you?”

That slight sound was all it took for the door to open instead of close.

“Goblins!” Ashrem shouted, running back toward the light, now plainly held high by Theo. Ander and Aurora stood beside him, with Meepo a pace behind. Ander was the first of the three to react to the scout’s warning, and moved quickly past the feloine, covering both his and Pack’s retreat.

“How many,” he said as he passed his friend.

“More than one.” The feloine stopped and reversed direction, following the ranger back toward the door, now spewing a quartet of goblins: unarmored, but armed with wicked looking hand weapons. Seconds later, he and the woodsman were thick in the fight.

Razor slid over the ribs of one goblin, laying the flesh wide, as Ashrem ducked under a wild swing by the goblin next to his target. Ander seemed likewise busy, as he parried their clumsy attacks and struck blow after blow. Then Brother Theo rushed into the fray, swinging crushing blows into their foes.

Two dozen heartbeats later, three of the goblins lay in a mangled heap: some with cuts, some with breaks, and some with the telltale signs of Aurora’s dragon headed missiles. The last suddenly broke and ran, moving quickly toward the door. Ashrem watched in amazement at the speed with which Ander dropped his staff and slipped his already strung bow off his shoulder into his waiting hand. Then, continuing the motion, the woodsman drew an arrow, nocked it, and sent it on a fatal errand. It lodged deeply in the retreating goblin’s neck as it yanked open the door, and with a loud gurgling sound, the creature fell dead in the doorway.

Through the door, Ashrem could see the shadows of a horde of the beasts cavorting around some unseen bonfire. Then, closer to the opening, he heard the clanging of steel on steel as a huge armored figure stepped through the entry…

Next Time:

"Old Flames Reunited," or "Lucy, I'm Home!"

Last edited:

Enk&D'Shai

First Post

Hello true believers!

We have another installment ready for you. I know its on the short side, but I can't pry Enk away from Neverwinter Nights.

Pool of NWN!

Especially since we found the translation of the original Pool of Radiance. I also am addicted, but I love my fans too much to forget a post.

Hey, D'shai they have the tour! THE TOUR!!!! What? Entry 23? Do you still have the journals and translation wheel?

Yes, they are next to the Commodore 64 and Atari stuff.

Anyway, its time for the Tip o' the Day...

<Cue lights>
<Cue sound>
<Zoom in on D'shai>

Man I hate working with a budget.

"Remember this holiday season to attack your foes with a weapon of wounding, its the attack that keeps on giving."

And for your Allies, get them Neverwinter Nights. I rate it 4.5 Galleons on my 5 ship scale. Which means I would pirate 4.5 galleons to get my hands on this game.

Wha? Hold on just a second. How in the hell of being skinned alive do you pirate half a galleon?

Well, Mr. PoopiePants, if you must know I have a formula.

1 Galleon = 2 Barques
1 Barque = 2 Sloops
1 Sloop = 2 Pinnaces
1 Pinnace = Beginning of the game if you are a Spaniard before 1760

So, I could easily get half a Galleon in a plethora of ways.

Right.

Say, what's that sound coming from your game over there?

Great, I'm getting monkey stomped by kobolds. KOBOLDS, I SAY!On the bright side, I'm almost to Sokal Keep and your character is still taking the tour. Hah!

<Cue fist here>

Owww! Quit It.

“Missile!” Meepo pleaded, hoping that the Rora Angel would cast her brilliant dragon magic at the metal clad forms emerging from the goblins’ main rooms. Though the kobold knew that, of the many attempts made to attack the dung grubbing goblins, all had failed, he trusted the Angel and her followers. It was brave of them to attack the dung grubbers head on, just like the Scorch-God would.

Meepo puffed out his chest in pride at being hand picked by the Rora Angel to stand with them, but his knees continued to shake as many of the giant armored goblins came to stand in the hallway. The pale skinned hobs were easily twice the size of the goblin rank and file, and because of their size and strength they usually had the better armor and weapons. One hob for each of them quickly lined up in the hallway and Meepo watched as the Soultaker and the Rora Angel’s Lifemate backed up toward him and the Angel.

When no more than a good spear throw separated the two groups Meepo once again tugged on the Rora Angel’s arm, wondering why she had not unleashed the dragon power. Since he still could not say much more than the one magic word in Angel Speak, Meepo resorted back to his common language. “Hurry Rora! Many more smaller clan live in dung grubbers’ great room. Let them see dragon magic and be afraid!”

Meepo’s legs stopped shaking and his heart began to race when he saw the Rora Angel’s soft scales whiten and her eyes grow large in full dragon rage. She then turned and began barking commands in powerful Angel Speak at her followers. The satisfied kobold knew that magic and death were sure to follow.

Lifemate surprised Meepo when he shouted and started to run back the way that they had come. The kobold was shocked more when the Angel nearly yanked him off his feet, following the other outsiders as they too turned and fled. Even the Soultaker scampered down the hall. Meepo also ran along beside them, doing his best to avoid the gaze of the Angel knowing that she was going to be very angry with all of them for running.

They ran until they entered the large room where the Angel had freed Meepo’s clanmates from the goblins and then the Angel’s follower’s again surprised the kobold. Instead of retreating back down toward the kobold camp, Lifemate stopped and motioned them in the other direction, down a different hallway. Then Lifemate grabbed rocks from the floor and joined them behind the corner of the hall. The Angel and the small wailing one extinguished their lights as they all huddled together.

Meepo sat confused until he heard the sounds of the approaching hobs and then saw Lifemate throw the rocks back toward the kobold home, making a great amount of noise. The kobold understood that the Angel was teaching Meepo by using kobold tactics to fight the goblins, so that when Meepo return to the clan they would not need her anymore. She would be free to help other clans. It saddened Meepo to know that Rora Angel would one day leave him, but he knew it was his duty to learn all that she had to teach.

Once the clanking of the armored hobs had disappeared around the bend, Meepo knew that it was time to ambush them from behind, in true kobold style. Grabbing his spear, he started out, hoping to impress the Angel. He got four steps out before the Angel’s dragon light illuminated him and Lifemate grabbed his tail and yanked him back behind the wall. Meepo started to protest, but the large thunder outsider grabbed his mouth and held it shut.

Meepo stopped squirming when he noticed that the Soultaker was busy looking at two other doors behind them as well as the floor around them. The dark warrior turned to face them while running his finger across his throat and pointing at the ground in front of the second door. The confused kobold began sheepishly squirming again, trying to loosen the grip on his mouth: he was ashamed that he couldn’t learn without asking questions, but he knew it was his duty.

Just as he managed to yank free, Meepo saw the door behind the Soultaker fly open and goblin warriors poured out. The first of the rusty skinned warriors leapt at the Soultaker, a thick bladed knife angled at his black spirit reaping heart, but the Soultaker seemed prepared for the move. The dark warrior moved with speed to match the fastest kobold and dodged the blow, flipping the goblin over his shoulder as he did. The surprised goblin hit the floor with a resounding thud, and then disappeared as the floor beneath him opened with a soft clack. The three remaining goblins paused for a breath as they eyed the now ready Soultaker and the open pit trap behind him.

The Angel’s Lifemate broke the pause as he begged the Angel for her to aid the Soultaker with the “Missiles” as Meepo himself had done earlier. However, unlike Meepo’s plea, the Lifemate’s wish was rewarded with dazzling dragons that sprang from her outstretched hands to explode into the nearest goblin. The kobold knew he had to get back into the good graces of the Angel so she would grant his wishes, too. Then, in an instant, he knew what he would have to do.

Meepo Missile!” The kobold cried out in the Angel Speak as he launched himself through the air spear first at the next closest dung grubber. He felt the impact as the gift spear from the Thunder Outsider bit and then punched through goblin’s chest, his weight driving it home out the other side. Meepo growled as his eyes meet those of his target, who seemed to stare in odd disbelief at the kobold’s bizarre tactics, before closing forever in the eternal sleep.

Lifemate finished off the final goblin with two fast blows to the head before pushing him past the Soultaker into the pit. Meepo pulled his Thunder Outsider present free from the goblin corpse and did likewise, taking time to watch as the body spiraled into the pit and smashed into the bottom.

By the time Meepo looked up he saw the Soultaker gracefully land on the other side near the second door. “Meepo missile,” the kobold heard him mutter to himself as he shook his head before running his hands over the rough wood of the door. The Soultaker pulled his clawed hand back after initial contact with the door however and he held it back out for them. Meepo was puzzled at first until he saw that a light frost covered his black-clawed hand; frost that could only have come from a dragon’s breath.

Excitement filled his body and the small kobold could barely contain himself as he leapt over the pit and joined the Soultaker on the far side. Using his small size to his advantage, Meepo squeezed under the dark warrior and pushed on the door. The door, however, was locked and shut tight, and his small weight was not enough to force it open.

Meepo felt his anger rising and backed up on the small landing, leaned his spear against the wall and prepared to charge the locked portal. The Soultaker however moved and blocked the door, turning his back to the small kobold. His anger already near the boiling point, Meepo started reaching for his weapon when a soft click caught his ear and the door swung open.

The room beyond the door glistened and sparkled from the layers of ice that coated the walls, floor, and a second door on the far side. The contents of the room not completely pulverized also had a thick layer of frost. Sitting atop the largest piece of furniture, like a Queen surveying her subjects, was Calcryx, white scales shimmering in the Angel’s light.

“Cal!” Meepo screamed upon seeing his precious ward, and the small dragon turned and spied the kobold for the first time. The kobold keeper knew that she was just as excited to see him as he was her by the way she bared her teeth at him and took flight straight for his outstretch arms.

Meepo clasped her in a tight hug as she barreled into him wrapping her tail about him. His excitement grew as she began ‘cuddling’ with him, playfully biting and clawing at his face and neck. The kobold knew that she usually had the bars on the cage to restrain her love and affection so he was not concerned when she began scratching and biting too deeply, drawing blood.

The attention, while painful, felt good to the dragon keeper and he embraced the dragon harder to signal that he had enough. Cal though had obviously missed him more than he thought and she kept cuddling, increasing the speed and power with each playful snap. Meepo felt weak as the love bites added to his earlier injuries but the small kobold wanted Cal to have her fun. A final joyful snip on his neck, though, sent the kobold spiraling down into the warm darkness filled with dreams of love and affection.

Next Time:

"What's in the Pack?," or "Sunless Citadel on Ice"

Last edited:

dshai527

First Post
Excellent story telling. Did Ashrem really lose the surprise due to his memories? If so, how was that role-played? Either you have really great players to do that or you’re utilizing that artistic license. No matter. The story is great!

This is what makes DMing so much fun for me, The fact that I have great players..... most of the time. Kidding. All of my players take time to really flesh out and play their characters to the fullest. They even let me say, "are you sure that is in character?" and pause to consider it before saying "Yep? mind your own business."

Fett plays Ashrem very well and even gives himself negatives and such as the situation merits. He rolls randomly for nighmares and fits of depression, and has a fun time doing it.

Bubba also plays Pack just as he is written, often spouting on for several minutes when we try to roleplay a small conversation. He also rolls Will power saves to keep from blabbing info to anyone who will listen. (This is great later on)

Enk often points out that he would not have certain knowledge or says, "I fail my save because I wasn't paying attention to what was going on." (By the way to be fair I write anything that Ander does in the story just so we don't get a biased view of how Enk thinks Ander should be, but instead how he really comes off in the game)

Aurora is really new to the game and so her character really shows that, and she likes it. She doesn't want game play to stop for her to understand something (slow yes, stop no) she just learns from it, like her character.

Worm, well he is Worm. You'll just have to trust me on that one.

Theo is played very well, often quoting "I didn't use that spell because i feel it would not have benefited or been seen favorable by my god." (Many arguments have ensued as they tried to convince him otherwise)

I applaud all of those, past and present, who have played in my world and help make me enjoy being a DM as much as I do.

P.S. Yes we still do take some creative license but not as much as it might seem. They really are just that good at roleplay. Take last night for instance....but that would give it away now wouldn't it. Lets just say it involves a Wolverine and a talking Tower.

Remove ads