• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Small Beginnings - Final Update 6/18/04, ITEOTWAWKI, AIFF!

Enk&D'Shai

First Post
"What's in the Pack?" or "The Sunless Citadel on Ice"

Hey Enk! It's been awhile, so I think it's time to open our fanmail and answer some questions!

We have fanmail?

Yes we do - look at that pile over there!

Dude, that's your laundry.

No, the other pile.

You mean that huge stack by the couch?

No, that's bills. You see where you're hand is?

Yeah?

Not there. Over to the left.

D'Shai, all I see is a letter, a postcard, and some wadded up pieces of paper.

That's it! Now gimme those.

Our first letter reads:

Dear Enk,
What are you getting D'Shai for Christmas?
Signed,
D'Shai

Dude, that's not cool. You can't use fake fanmail to interrogate me about what your getting for Christmas. Besides, I already told you, you're getting a stocking full of motor oil. Oh, and coal.

You want to know what I'm getting you?

If it's anything like last year, no.

Have it your way, it's better as a surprise, I just wouldn't wait til after Christmas to open it... Our next letter - this one is a postcard.

Dear D'Shai,
How do you come up with your Tip of the Day?
Signed
Kobolds Stole My Baby
PS: Please never let Enk do another TotD!

Dude, you wrote that PS part in crayon! Bad form!

That's all the let me have on my "vacation."

Just give them the Tip and let's get on with it.

Wait!, One more letter - this one came attached to a brick thrown through Enk's window. By me.

The depths of my hatred for you have not yet been explored.

Dear story hour guys,
What are you like in real life?
Signed,
Inmate 8675309

To give you an idea, here's a list of some places we've been asked to leave, some more nicely than others.

*Several fast food establishments.
*Three separate hotels.
*One elementary school neither of us attended (Children's Theater mishap - backstage dance).
*Taco Bell (this one was memorable enough to get its own entry).
*Multiple theater chains (one of which Enk was working at at the time).
*Every bowling alley within a 30 mile radius, as well as one in Cincinnati.
*Denny's (except at 3AM, when they actually encourage us to stay).
*And my favorite, Toys R Us.

He's especially proud of that one - they had district meetings about him, and he might still be mentioned as an anecdote in the employee handboook - something about animal stampedes and the arming of America's youth.

Now for the Tip o' the Day:

Polymorph Any Object adds loads of fun to any campaign.

Have I told you, lately, that I hate you?

Hey, I rolled randomly. And one more letter: This ones from Dawn:

Dear Guys,
Well...... How about that update?
Dawn
PS: Please never let Enk do another TotD.

Alright, give me the crayon and push the button.

I push the button!

"What's in the Pack?" or "The Sunless Citadel on Ice"

“I thought you said Meepo could handle the dragon!” Ander cried, perplexed at the grisly meeting between dragon and keeper.

“He said that Cal loved him and would obey him!” Aurora shot back, seemingly just as confused. “Help him, Ander! She’s killing him!”

“Yes.” Ashrem’s calm voice contrasted with the growling and snapping ball of scaly fury ravaging their guide. “And it seems he has failed to notice that minor detail, just as he fails to understand exactly how much I loathe him. I say that if he cannot control the beast, than he is as useless to us as he is to his clan, let him die.”

Ander noticed that Ashrem moved toward the grappled pair to help even as he spoke ill of the kobold, but Aurora obviously didn’t. Twin dragon headed missiles flew past the woodsman and feloine to strike the tiny dragon, knocking it off Meepo’s unmoving body.

“Bones, Aurora! We need it alive! That goes for everyone! We capture it or subdue it!” Ander moved forward approaching the small dragon as he would a wounded wolf or bear, carefully extending his hand as it rose back onto its feet. For a moment, it seemed as if he would be able to sooth her just as he had done to the Reeve’s favorite wolfhound when it’s leg was caught in a trap. Too late, he realized that Cal had other plans, and the dragonet opened her mouth to unleash a freezing cloud of mist.

Ander, already in a partial crouch, managed to tuck and roll under the cloud using his cloak to shield himself from the worst of the freezing air. The woodsman felt his left arm go numb as he passed through the mist, but in an instant he was clear of the chilling rime and the feeling started to return. As he gathered his feet under him he noticed that Ashrem had also rolled away, but to the opposite side of the tiny wyrm while Aurora and Pack had pulled Meepo out of the room for Theo to attend to.

Flexing his arm one last time, the woodsman gripped his staff and nodded to his feloine counterpart. Ashrem pulled his short sword but with a flat-side grip and nodded back. In tandem the two moved toward the crouching dragon and attacked.

Ander’s first blow fell wide as he slipped and nearly fell, not realizing that the frosty floor would be so slick. Ashrem looked to be in the same predicament as he too struck wide of the dodging Cal and then flailed his arms to maintain balance.

“These are not ideal conditions for dragon hunting, my friend,” the feloine remarked while freeing his tail from his cloak to better balance himself. Meanwhile, Cal glided to the far end of the room and hid behind what appeared to be a frozen desk.

“Meepo will live, and I am free to help….” The loud clanging of armor sounded throughout the small room as Theo also encountered the ice-covered floor. “Ow! I’m okay!”

Ashrem moved to help the priest while Ander circled toward the dragon’s hiding spot. As he carefully rounded the side of the desk, Cal sped through the air, startling the woodsman. Instinctively, he lashed out hard with his staff, altering its flight path. Instead of making good its escape through the open portal, the wyrm angled downward and flew directly at the recovering priest. Theo responded by once again crashing noisily to the ground, almost dragging Ashrem with him. With a tiny, self-satisfied roar, Cal drifted silently over to land on a frost-covered bookcase.

“Pack! Close that door and help Theo. Your cloak hopefully gives you sure footing on ice as well as brambles and spikes.” The bard quickly complied with the woodsman’s orders and soon had the room sealed and Theo standing.

Ander brought his attention back to the dragon and he and Ashrem began circling as a team, trying to keep the beast between them. The young dragon seemed to once again detect their ploy and unleashed another blast of her freezing breath. Ander tucked and rolled, noticing that Ashrem was well ahead of him, as if the feloine had known it was going to happen. I need to ask him how he always manages to do that...

Both warriors found their feet amidst a loud clattering as Theo again lost his balance, for once again the dragon had flapped near him. The tiny wyrm landed atop the desk and unfolded its wings, taunting the four would be captors.

“Ander! Judging by her size, and the stories I have heard, she’ll need some time before she can breathe another one of those ice blasts! I’d attack now, but be careful because it looks like she’s gotten really smart for her size: she really did a number on Meepo!” Pack’s voice huffed as he again helped Theo to his feet. “Theo, your armor is too bulky and heavy for this.”

Out of the corner of his eye, Ander saw the priest’s face redden and he knew that Theo realized he was not helping in this situation: rather he was actually hindering them. However, the woodsman didn’t have time to comfort the cleric and tell him how much he had already done for them; he needed to attack and attack now.

Squaring his feet, Ander moved in and began spinning his staff in hopes of keeping the dragon from taking flight. On the opposite side Ashrem seemed to read the woodsman’s tactics and also moved in flashing his weapon in wide arcs, giving the winged serpent no place to run.

Cal seemed to know how much trouble she was in and launched herself at the woodsman. A quick smack with the staff drove her back, but the small beast drove forward again. Another blow landed, this time where Aurora’s missiles had exposed the flesh, and Cal slammed back hard into the desk, obviously dazed. A swift blow to the head dropped the small dragon into unconsciousness. With a short wave, the woodsman smiled at his friends knowing that the task was almost done.

The mechanical click of a key working the lock on the second door caused Ander’s smile to drop and the woodsman returned to the task at hand. Bending down he grabbed for the sleeping dragon and prepared to run. “Ashrem. Pack. Help Theo get out. We’re about to have company.”

As the others made for the door Ander attempted to hoist the dragon onto his shoulder, but the small size of the beast was deceiving. His muscles bulged but he was barely able to lift the dragon more than a foot off the floor. Contrary to the dragon’s aerial acrobatics and graceful prancing, the creature was actually densely muscled and weighed more than one of Onkus the Cooper’s anvils. Ander realized that at this rate he would not make it very far before the dragon-nappers were upon him.

Ander looked around desperately, searching for something to help him move his burden, when he heard the door swing open. Looking up, the woodsman watched as four large armored goblins rushed into the room brandishing weapons. They charged directly toward the ranger, and Ander opened his mouth in a silent scream as he watched his death run him down.

Suddenly, the first of the goblin warriors lost his footing on the slick floor - just as Theo had - and tumbled down, dragging the rest of the group with him. Soon all four goblins were a writhing mass of arms and legs as they tried unsuccessfully to stand on the frozen surface. As they slipped and slid, Ander thanked every God he knew and Zuras twice just for good measure. Then, the goblin’s antics gave the encumbered ranger an idea.

Setting the dragon back on the floor, Ander shoved as hard as he could. The compact dragon’s body scooted effortlessly over the slick stone floor, stopping only when it reached the edge of the ice. The woodsman gave chase by sliding on his belly, and reached into a pouch at his side for his remaining vial of Wishbone’s Brew of Health. He knew that the strengthening effect was short lived, so he would have to hurry once he gulped it. His fingers closed over the rough stopper of the vial - which he had memorized after his last fiasco - and he drew it forth as he gathered his legs beneath him for another, final push toward his unconscious bundle of scales, wings, and claws.

A heartbeat later, a crossbow bolt sprouted from Ander’s thigh and pain lanced throughout his body. The young ranger fell forward as his leg no longer supported his weight and, as he slammed into the floor, Wishbone’s Brew slipped from his fingers. The vial slid across the floor, coming to rest next to the dragon’s limp form.

Ander looked back as he ripped the bolt from his leg, and saw a fifth goblin enter the room, by far the largest goblin that he had ever seen. A tarnished, pitted, and ugly crown sat atop its equally pitted and ugly face.

This goblin king stepped fully into the room like a nobleman who had just shot a prized deer, and shoved its crossbow into the hands of one of the armored warriors. The warrior, who had just found his footing and was unprepared for such a move, was bowled over by the powerful thrust and again ended up as part of the pile of goblins on the floor.

Ander pulled himself to his feet and faced the goblin king, who drew a curved sword as he approached. Unlike his heavily armored minions, the goblin leader had no problems on the slippery surface of the dragon cell and soon his swift blade was upon the woodsman.

Ander dodged and weaved as best as his bleeding leg would allow, but the Worm-sized king was more than a match for the wounded warrior. The ranger managed to avoid most of the sword blows, allowing only a few nicks and cuts, but the Thrice-Cursed-Fiend often punched, kicked and even bit at the woodsman as well. Ander also knew he was running out of time, even now the other goblins were beginning to untangle themselves from their pile.

“We are all on the other side of the pit trap, Ander. Hurry before they cut off our escape route.” The feloine’s voice was accompanied by a crossbow bolt shot into the leg of one of the armored goblins as he tried to rise, knocking him back to the floor. A volley of Aurora’s missiles followed knocking another goblin back into the tangled mass on the floor.

Ander blocked a weak sword blow with his staff, but the goblin king had lured him into dropping his guard and landed a stiff punch to his wounded leg. That leg buckled, dropping him to his knees: he knew that a fatal blow couldn’t be far behind.

With speed and strength born of desperation, the woodsman pushed into the goblin as it swung its killing blow. The sword bit deep into his shoulder but Ander pushed on, shoving his attacker back across the room. The goblin backpedaled, trying frantically to find some footing on the ice-covered floor to stop the ranger’s somehow surefooted charge.

Ander pushed until he neared the armored goblins, which had once again regained their feet, and then he gave one last heave, launching the king through the air towards its followers. The goblin leader stumbled backward over the throng, sending them all sprawling once again to the floor.

Ander wasted no time, quickly turning and sliding for the door, grabbing the loose vial as he came to a stop. The angered shouts of the goblin king sounded behind him and the twang of Ashrem’s crossbow before him mixed in a confused cacophony as he tore open the stopper and downed the contents of the vial. He felt his muscles tighten as energy flowed through his body. With renewed vigor, he effortlessly hoisted the small dragon’s frame and stepped back to leap the pit.

With one step and a magically enhanced leap, the woodsman felt himself flying through the air. As he crossed the gaping pit, Ander felt a sharp pain: first in his back and then his chest, and then he was across, landing solidly on the hard stone floor. His momentum carried him forward, so he continued to run, aware now that Theo and Pack were also engaged with attacking goblins at the far end of the hall. Aurora was carrying Meepo and attempting to cast her magics to help the company secure their retreat.

Aurora glanced at the ranger as he moved toward them, and suddenly stopped in the middle of her casting, concern in her eyes. Ander watched as she bit back a sob and her skin turned a sickly white. Knowing that he did not have time to explain his many nicks and cuts, he attempted to sooth the maiden and then call for Ashrem to catch up, but when he tried to speak only a bubbling cough came out, nearly choking him.

Ander glanced down almost in fear and saw that a crossbow bolt jutted out nearly two fingers breadth from his studded leather jerkin. The woodsman nearly swooned, realizing that Wishbone’s magical potion was the only thing keeping Gauntlet from sending one of his dark servants to reap his soul. He also knew that the powers of the potion were very short lived, and that that god – the Lost Hand of Tyr – would soon claim his own. Guantlet’s drow may take me, but they will not have my friends. Spitting blood, the woodsman burbled what he knew to be his final command.

“Run!”

Ashrem watched helplessly as Ander shot by the crouched feloine, running with his magically long strides toward the rear guard. The feloine had seen corpses in better shape than his closest friend; Wishbone’s Brew was the only thing standing between the woodsman and death’s door.

The scout cursed silently as he stowed his crossbow in his magically large rucksack and drew out a potion of his own. He knew that Ander would not stop, even at the cost of his own life, if he thought he could lead the company to safety. The only way to stop him was to catch him, an impossible feat, without magical aid of his own, when the ranger was using his magical boots. Ducking under another crossbow shot, the feloine tore the stopper out and drained the contents of the vial. Then he felt his fur tingle as his heartbeat quickened and he felt Wishbone’s Brew of Speed take hold. For a moment, his vision swam, as if he was badly drunk on cheap wine. With a shake of his head, he fought off the feeling and sped off after his dying friend.

Pack was scared, and he didn’t know why.

The swinging swords, blood-soaked floor, and dead bodies weren’t helping, but the bard knew that they weren’t the cause of his fear. The halfling had sparred too often with Worm to be scared of a few goblins, no matter how bloodthirsty. Something worse than goblins lurked just outside of his awareness.

The halfling dodged another swipe and thrust weakly back, once again sinking his lucky dagger to the hilt. Yanking the blade free, Pack danced around, almost absentmindedly relying on the mimicked footwork of his bigger sibling. You need a name, lucky dagger. I can’t be a hero if my blade doesn’t have a name. How about Flicker?

The dagger struck but failed to pierce yet another goblin’s leather. Nope, not Flicker. How about Riftrunner just like Morthannan’s famous sword? The goblin’s armor again turned the blade aside, and Pack moved to his left as he knew Worm would want him to, avoiding the goblin’s clumsy return swing. You’re right: it wouldn’t be right to have two Riftrunners in history.

The bard’s dagger jumped out to his right, intercepting a kick aimed at the aging priest to his side. It was as if Worm stood over him, moving his arms as he had done so many times before when teaching the little halfling the knife fighting tricks he knew. ‘Because you never know when you might need to use a weapon to defend yourself or your family.’ The huge half-orc’s words rang in Pack’s mind, just as they had when he first spoke them, and he realized that he had never understood what they meant.

Pack unthinkingly ducked under a wild swing and countered with a swing of his own. While he did so, he began to really look at his surroundings: Theo was to his right, grunting with each swing of his heavy weapon, and he heard Aurora’s reassuring voice chanting behind him. Over his shoulder, he saw a pair of eldritch dragon heads blow by and hit the goblin in front of him, singeing the goblin’s already orange skin and knocking him backwards. Then the bard looked down at his feet, and nearly retched.

The goblin bled from a deep stab in its belly as he waited painfully for Gauntlet’s Drow to take him to his final rest. All the while, the goblin stared accusingly at the halfling. In horror Pack watched himself, with Worm-like efficiency, stoop down and bury his blade deep in the goblin’s throat, putting him out of his misery. It felt as if Worm still controlled his movements, ‘Never fight until you have to, but if you have to fight, fight to win. And if you’re fighting someone who wants to kill you, the only way to stop them is to kill them first.’ The goblin gurgled as blood flowed from his wound, and tears began to flow down Pack’s cheeks.

His legs moved him up and over the body to come even with Theo, who fought to put down the last of the goblins cutting off their escape. As he did, he could almost hear the gurgling of the goblin continue, as if it still accused him from the grave. Then he heard Aurora gasp behind him and turned to see a dead man walking toward him carrying a limp dragon over one shoulder. It gurgled one word.

“Run!”

He had already taken several steps before he realized that the bolt-skewered figure running beside and then before him was Ander, hefting the tiny dragon over one shoulder as he trailed blood out of his horrid wounds. Soon Theo and Aurora reached him and then passed him, their long strides taking them swiftly by the halfling. Pack looked back over his shoulder to see Ashrem running up toward him and then, suddenly stop. The feloine ripped free his sword and cried out to bard, “Go on ahead Pack! There are too many of them!” Then he began swiping at the air, cutting and thrusting as if locked in battle. Pack, however, saw no goblins at all.

“Too many of what, Ashrem?” Pack continued to move as he questioned the feloine. “Hurry, before they catch up!”

“They have already caught us,” the scout growled back. He paused, ducking under an invisible swing before skewering an equally invisible foe. Then, cursing loudly, he broke and ran toward the halfling. “My weapon is ineffective, Pack. These skeletons are just as dangerous as those bramble blights. Run.”

“What skeletons?” Pack asked.

“RUN!” The feloine roared like a great cat and Pack bounded forward as quickly as his short legs would carry him. He rounded the corner with Ashrem a few moments behind, and sped into the room where the goblin’s practiced archery just in time to see Theo rushing out the far side, heading for the goblin’s halfwall. Out of the other door, the one that led to the hall with pillars, poured the goblin king that Pack had seen in the dragon’s room, leading another half dozen huge armored warriors.

Pack sped off toward the exit, only to see the goblins moving to cut off his escape. In an instant he knew he was doomed – they would catch him before he got through the door. Suddenly from behind him, he heard Ashrem’s roar. “Pack! Hold still!” The bard stopped cold, trusting the feloine had some plan to save them both, and turned.

Ashrem was leaping through the air directly at the halfling. His eyes were hard, and the snarl he wore on his face would have scared a barbarian. In his arms, he held his rucksack. “Drop the dagger Pack. It cannot go where you will be.”

The halfling stared as the feloine drew closer, unable to interpret the shadow warrior’s sudden strange request. He couldn’t part with his lucky dagger: Pack knew that all heroes had their special weapon. He stood there, with feloine and goblins bearing down on him, motionless and confused, but Ashrem made the decision for him and ripped the dagger from his hands. With a smooth motion the great cat flung the weapon away.

Stunned, the halfling watched helplessly as the dagger arched in the air and disappeared into the charging horde and Ashrem opened his backpack wide and held it out before him. The scout put the pack over Pack and rode it down until the halfling was swallowed whole, which seemed impossible to the bard.

In the silent darkness, Pack shivered: alone. I never even gave it a name.

Next Time!

"The Greater Good," or "Meepo Claus is Comin' to Town!"

Last edited:

Badger

First Post
*checking pulse*

System growing weak...need update soon...world fading to black...*dramatic swoon*

Help me Obi Wan Enkhidu...this thread is our only hope...

Happy New Years everyone..hope it was a safe and festive one had by all.

Badger

Dawn

First Post
Okay, the holidays are over. It’s time to entertain the masses while they have lunch and pretend to work.

Needing that update!

Bubbalicious

First Post
Enkhidu said:
Just wanted to say that the next post is in production, and should be brought to market just before the end of the holiday shopping season.

Or,

we're still working on it, but look for it later in the week!

Yeah, but he didn't say what holiday!!!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Rel is patient
Rel is kind
But post an update
If you don't mind

See?! I'm writing (awful) poetry over here! This is what it's come to! You guys need to post an update. I feel a haiku coming on here.

BTW, Dawn, you should check out our NC Game Day thread in the General forum.

Dawn

First Post
No, not a haiku!

We’ve been patient. We’ve been good. We deserve an update.

Thanks, Rel. I’ll head over to check out the posting.

Enk&D'Shai

First Post

Rel should never do
that which he has done to us:
writing mismatched poems

We are NOT posting in haiku.

Three syllables used
is not the standard haiku.
Use five, seven, five.

Look, I'm not kiddin' here.

Worm is really strong,
his half brother Pack is not.
HULK should be happy.

By the way folks, sorry about the long time between posts - the holidays can really be murder on a guy. Oh, and whatever D'Shai is too.

Pirates on the sea,
eyepatches, and swashed buckles
make me say"Arr, mates!"

Will you stop doing that!

The Tip O' the Day:
"Never let your inlaws stay
on a holiday."

See what I have to put up with?

Enjoy!

I almost forgot - it's Enk's fault!

He swam in a sea of pain, foundering in its madness. Red waves washed over him again and again, choking the life out of him as he struggled to keep his head above the foam. Worse, a great weight lay on his back and chest: pushing him down, dragging him towards the death awaiting him below in the darkness.

He swam for his life, away from dangers he knew and toward dangers unknown, knowing that even if he were to escape from his unseen foes, his doom still drew nigh, and his strength would soon falter, and he would be dragged into the depths of pain, never to breathe the clean air.

He swam in fear, and brought his head up in one last desperate cry…

Ander’s voice croaked as he opened his eyes and shuddered. “Ander’s awake!” The halfling nearly sprinted across the floor to the woodsman’s bed and grabbed the young man’s larger hand with both of his smaller ones.

“I may be awake, but am I alive?” the ranger asked weakly.

“Most assuredly, my friend,” said Ashrem, “though it was quite a close thing.” The feloine sounded haggard, as if he hadn’t slept in days.

“You gave us quite a fright, lad.” Theo’s usual rumble had a note of relief in it. “But tis good to see you awake again.”

“More like its good to be…” Ander stopped mid-sentence and had a short coughing fit.

“Don’t strain yourself, Ander!” Aurora’s voice sounded as if it was about to crack, “It would be a shame to lose you, when I… we, just got you back.”

“Ha, She’s right, lad. Lie back and rest for a while.”

“Someone want to tell me what I missed?”

“Oh! Me! Me!” Pack jumped up and down as the words flowed out of his mouth like a waterfall. “First you grabbed the dragon and tried to pick it up and then you drank a potion and then the goblins came and fell on the ice and then…”

“Pack, Pack! I was there for that, “Ander broke in. His voice seemed strained, though he wore a weary smile on his face, “what happened after?”

“Well, you told us to run and then…”

Theo’s rumble interrupted the halfling, “Pack, as colorful as your recollections are, let’s cover all of that as we agreed while Ander slept. And, now that he is awake, I’d say that this is as good a time as any. Do you feel up to it, son?”

The woodsman looked up at the older man. “Feel up to what?”

“A Cloud Council, Ander, a Cloud Council.”

Meepo paced back and forth in the small pantry. Grismth was late, though that suited the kobold since his mind was still reeling with the past days events. The Rora Angel and the outsiders continued to confuse the kobold: he knew that the Angel was here to teach him the Scorched god’s ways, but they were so very different from the clan’s teachings.

He was most disturbed by the actions of the Soultaker and the outsiders especially where they concerned the Lifemate. By clan law, when the Lifemate collapsed from an obviously mortal wound after reaching the clan hold, he should have been stripped of his belongings by other warriors eager to gain his gear and weapons. Instead, the Angel followers worked together as a team to save the Lifemate.

Meepo remembered jumping down from Rora’s arms and watching as the small Wailing One stepped out of the Soultaker’s backsack and pushed his fingers and a rag cloth deep into the wound while the Soultaker himself pulled the iron arrow from Lifemate’s chest. At first Meepo had thought that the dark warrior was escorting the life essence to the scorched one, but then the armored Thunderer laid his glowing hands to Lifemate’s chest. Again and again the Thunderer bellowed until finally, just as Meepo’s had after Cal’s hugs, the wound began to close. Afterwards they sat around the warrior, anointing him with water and covering him with blankets, and Meepo knew that they felt scared like he had when Cal was missing. More concerning to the small kobold was that he had felt the same way about the large warrior: he didn’t even take the Lifemate’s carved fighting stick which was lying right next to him.

Meepo had heard that while he was away, getting Cal back into her cage and reporting to Yusdrayl, the heroes didn’t even leave their room or allow visitors in. The Queen had banned him from seeing the outsiders until after the celebration feast, which was to be held in two torches time, even though she had talked with them since then. It hadn’t taken long for him to realize that he missed being with the odd outworlders and hearing their strange speak. He was able to understand many of their words now and he liked it when the Angel spoke to him.

“Strange ones those outsiders, yes?” The soft voice startled Meepo and he turned and growled at Grismth’s dark shape as it emerged from behind the storage shelves. Many in the clan did not like the stealthy kobold, but Meepo had found his shadowy gifts and goblin contacts quite useful in finding food and trinkets for Cal.

“You get them?” the Angel-touched kobold asked.

“Yes Dragon-Keeper, but not without price,” the kobold sneak replied, motioning for Meepo to follow.

The pair walked out of the small room through the great hall where the clan could be seen hanging goblin heads in preparation for the victory feast. Both he and Grismth paused and glanced suspiciously around before entering a small side room usually reserved for prisoners. The room was now empty, except for a large pool of blood and a bag in the far corner.

Grismth walked over to the large bag and reached inside…

Theo looked around the makeshift circle, meeting each member’s gaze. Pack stood to his left, followed by Ashrem. The feloine stood close by Ander, who lay in his bed, and Aurora, who nearly hovered over the ranger, flanked the woodsman on the other side. Then the aging cleric glanced down at the simple wooden rod in his hands and spun it, gazing at the intricate knot-work. After a few long moments, he cleared his throat and began.

“As I have already told you, this is a Cloud Council. Since the foundation of the faith, this council has stood as the true testament of Zuras’ will and the true voice of the church. Like the thunder, each member will have his voice heard; and like the lightning, we shall swiftly carry out our decision.

‘With Zuras’ voice, so shall we speak, and, if we speak true his guidance shall be granted. As the Thunderhead I shall mediate, but first I shall explain the proceedings.

‘I will begin by speaking the facts as they have been presented to us; once I have done that the Storm shall begin. This rod that I hold in my hand is called the Spark. It ignites the session and allows you to speak freely, without fear of repercussions and without judgment on your opinion. When it is your turn you shall take the Spark, state your name, and voice your opinion. Once it is in your hand, it is your duty to speak on the topic presented to either try and sway others to your side or reinforce someone else’s opinion. When you are finished, you will pass the Spark to next member and assume the duty of listening. At no time may you interrupt or question another member, though while you hold the Spark you may pose a question to be answered by someone down the chain. Once the Spark has come full circle to me, I shall calm the Storm by stepping down as the Thunderhead and speak my own opinion until the call for vote comes. At this time, the Spark will again be passed: but on this pass each of you will be required to vote or abstain before passing it on. When again the Spark reaches me I will vote and announce the path we will undertake.

“Are we ready to begin?” The solemn nods of his companions told the priest that they understood the serious nature of this meeting. So with a deep breath he gripped the spark and began.

“Often in life we are forced to make difficult choices. None are more difficult than that which lies before us. As a reward for our efforts against the goblins and the return of their clan ‘totem’, Yusdrayl has kept her promise and informed us that the kidnapped children were taken by the clan’s old master in order to be sacrificed under the new moon. The new moon rises in a little more than a two weeks and the Master’s castle is deep within the Icemist Mountain and many dangers stand between us.”

Theo glanced at the bed-ridden woodsman, ensuring that he had a chance to soak up this new information before he continued. “Overland, we would be hard pressed to even reach the mountain in that time as the snows have already started to fall up there, not to mention the barbarian tribes, polar worms, and ice trolls.” Theo watched as Ander’s face set itself in a steely mask, and the ranger took a breath as if to say something, but Theo continued in order to stop the interruption. “We, however, have been given an alternative route: the same route that the kobolds themselves took to arrive in the underground castle we stand in now.”

“Deep beneath this citadel is a trade route that the goblins and goblinkin use to avoid surface detection - a route that leads right into the Master’s lands. We have been given, by Yusdrayl, a key.” As if on cue, Pack dug out and held up a large golden key.

“That key,” the priest continued, “will open a door to a way that will lead us around the kobold’s enemies, down through the Citadel, and out to this underground road. But this is where the dilemma presents itself.”

The older man looked around at his younger companions and paused. For much of the time Ander had been out, the remaining four had quietly argued back and forth about this problem. As he scanned each face, he saw more than a few glances at woodsman, as if each person hoped he would be able to make a final decision. Even I am looking to him, I suppose. “The lands beneath the citadel are also home to a demon. A demon trapped in the soul of a tree. A demon that has been awakened, and even though it remains trapped, it is spreading his evil across our lands.”

“What!” Ander cried, before Aurora laid a gently restraining hand on his shoulder.

Theo rushed through the rest of his speech: “Even now, this demon spawns unholy children in the form of walking brambles. It looks as if the twiglings we fought on our trip here were more of its children. Even as we rest here this blight is blanketing the land and nearing our homes. So here is the decision we must make – do we go and destroy the tree on our way to save the children, or do we go directly to the children and bypass the tree?” Theo paused a moment, and handed the Spark to Pack.

“This one very costly, had to trade to get it from goblin leader hands. You could got much more for less. It not special, no smell like magic” Grismth proclaimed as he drew a small dagger from the sack.

“It special.” Meepo smiled as his partner handed him the small thin blade. The kobold warrior knew that the small Wailing One would prance and wail when he handed him back his precious fighting instrument, for he had heard him crying about it while they anointed Lifemate.

“And Magic.” He said lastly as the image of the Wailing One continued its dance in his head.

Theo looked expectantly at the halfling, and for a moment, the bard seemed lost. Then, with a deep breath, as if ready to deliver a long and flowery speech, he began. “I am Roscoe P. Tosscobble, called Pack by my friends. You know, we’re heroes, the Heroes from Icemist. This is what heroes do. We’ve fought goblins and subdued a dragon. People are going to tell stories about us. I don’t want those stories to be about how we let a demon corrupt the land. We should go after the demon, and do it right now, because that’s what heroes do.” Then the halfling held out the rod to Ashrem, continuing the circle.

For a moment, Ashrem simply looked at the halfling and then the rod, as if expecting the normally wordy halfling to have more to say. Then, with a sigh, he held out his hand and accepted the Spark.

“This one very easy. Very nice too.” The sneaky kobold muttered from deep within the bag breaking Meepo from his trance. The angel touched kobold watched as Grismth emerged from the bag holding a pair of white gloves. The claw coverings seemed to shimmer in the torchlight much like the icy scales on Cal’s back where the plates came from to mold the gloves in the first place.

“Soft scales from hatchling make good claw covers. I keep this one for all payment?” the shifty thief asked with a smile. Meepo’s quick snatch of the pair seemed answer enough as the sneak growled and turned back toward the bag. Meepo knew that if he let Grismth keep the gloves then Soultaker’s claws might take more for payment when he found that the present was meant for him. The Soultaker claws too sharp for any other covering but these.

The aging priest could tell he had perplexed the scout by making sure he would have his turn in the Council before Ander, for Ashrem simply stood there, glancing first at the rod in his hands, and then at the ranger to his left. One day that cub will learn to make his own decisions.

“I am Ashrem the Feloine.” The scout barked out his name as if answering a roll call, but his voice softened as he continued. “In many ways, I agree with the idea of taking the fight to the demon. However, I do not believe that fighting the demon now is tactically sound. Demons are among the most terrible and fell of opponents, and we should not take the existence of one lightly: if we were to fight this demon, it is quite possible that some of us will be incapacitated and bedridden, much like Ander. Worse, we could be killed to a man, and the children would then be sacrificed with no hope of rescue.”

“Though I find it distasteful, I believe that our first duty is to those we promised to help. We should therefore go straight to where the children are being held, and then deal with this matter in a more strategic fashion.” Then, with military precision, the scout laid the rod in Ander’s hand.

“This also cost much, not many outsider weapons down here. Fewer made of iron.” Meepo could tell that Grismth was still offended about the gloves from the hissing breaths between each word, but the dragon-keeper paid no heed to it and instead focused on the large sword the sneak pulled from the sack. The blade was taller than either kobold, but only slightly thicker than the small Wailing One’s dagger: it was truly a weapon more fitting than a carved stick for a warrior of the Lifemate’s status, despite the many small nicks and spots of rusts. Now Dung-grubbers will fear Lifemate the sword-wielder, not shoot at the stick-basher.

Ander sat for a long while, looking at the rod resting on his belly. He had set it there and brought a hand to his forehead, rubbing it as if it hurt. Theo studied him as he did: the ranger had recovered from his wounds with the aid of magical healing, but the aging cleric was unsure if the damage done to his spirit had healed as quickly. Having seen his fair share of soldiers fall in the wars, Theo knew how hard it could be for a young man to be faced with his own mortality. He’ll be fine in time, no doubt, young men are resilient. Finally, Ander lifted the Spark.

“I am…” the woodsman began to hack and cough uncontrollably. When his wet coughs finally subsided, he continued, “I am sure you all have been talking about this for sometime, so I hope what I’m going to say won’t be ground you already covered. As I see it, there are two choices – we can either go straight north to the mountains and save the kids, or we can go to our deaths and fight a demon. That seems to be what you two have already said.”

“But from what I’ve seen, we don’t really have a choice.” Well, he certainly made his decision quickly, so quickly he didn’t follow the Cloud Council forms. I wonder if he was as asleep as he seemed… “When we were ambushed by those twig men, we beat them pretty handily, but can you imagine if we had half a dozen kids in tow? All it would take is one more ambush like that and we would lose some of them, maybe even all of them. Plus, if this demon tree keeps making more twig men, then there will be even more of them when we go back home. No, the way I see it, we have to take out this demon tree if we want to have any hope of getting those kids home.” As soon as he finished, Ander handed the rod to Aurora and laid his head back as if exhausted from his speech.

“These will be for the Angel, yes?” Meepo almost dropped the Lifemate’s gift when he saw the shiny jewels that Grismth now held out in his clawed hand. The two small gems sparkled as they caught the torchlight, bending the streams out at odd angles. The gazing kobold lowered the sword to the stone floor and put his hand out to receive the perfect gift.

“They not money stones but markings make them fun. They cheap too. I win them in bone throws, knew you would like.” Grismth proclaimed puffing his chest out in emphasis as he handed the stones to the dragon keeper.

Meepo stared at the perfect stones, shifting them so that the light played and danced off the cut edges. After a moment’s wonderment the kobold stopped and noticed that each stone was grooved with small designs on each facing, and no two designs were the same. He also noticed that the larger of the two stones was not cut into a perfect box like the first but had more sides. Meepo could tell that the thief was right in saying that they were beautiful though not made from precious stone. He smiled knowing that Rora Angel would appreciate them even if Cal would have spit them back in his face.

“I am Aurora.” Theo watched the young lady intently. As long as the priest had known the girl she had seemed as skittish as a doe, but recently she had begun to show a more, well, forceful side. He liked it; it reminded him of his wife. I tell, you, girl, when this is all over, if that boy next to you doesn’t do something to make an honest women out of you, then I’ll beat him and then I’ll beat you for not making him!

“I know that some of you thought, for whatever reason, that I shouldn’t have come along when we first started out. There are times I think you’re right: maybe I shouldn’t have. But I do know that if we walk past this abomination without destroying it or somehow warning Icemist of the danger they are in, then I’ll wish that I never did come along.” Aurora let steel creep into her voice as she spoke.

“You speak of tactics, Ashrem, and I can tell you I don’t know anything about them; but I can tell you no amount of tactics will be enough to stop this demonic tree if we allow it to gather its strength or break free from its prison. Ander, you talk about saving the children and having to protect them from these things as we race home, and I agree, but I also add: what if we have no home to race to? The nearest village, Winterlocke, is a week’s march away during the height of spring, and by the time we get the children and get back, we won’t have time to flee south before the snows start should this creature have destroyed or invaded Icemist.”

“I also might remind you that these twiglings might be the cause of the Barbarian troubles. Have you forgotten the concerns that Chris the Reeve has about Festival should the problems with the missing livestock not be solved and the clans declare war on each other? Icemist depends on Festival to support it and I believe that if we defeat this abyssal tree and show proof to the clans that their livestock is safe, we can save festival as well as the children.” Aurora paused a moment and regained some of her composure.

She continued in a quieter tone. “We know the children are safe until the new moon. We also know that the demon is trapped within the tree. In my studies at the Academy in Tor, I learned that when the demons were defeated in the Great War the Veil which allows access between planes was permanently closed. This means that nothing can cross, summoned or otherwise. All the demons who were here when it happened are now stuck here, and more importantly it means that this is now their prime plane. More precisely, it means that they can be killed…permanently.”

“If this demon is trapped within the soul of the tree, then if we kill the tree, we kill the demon. Forever.” With that, Aurora passed the Spark back to Theo.

“Ah, last gift here.” Grismth said as the door to the room was banged opened by two new kobolds caring a large object draped in a worn tarp. Meepo stowed the gems in his waist sack and ambled over next to the twin workers. He knew what was under the tarp but he still found himself getting excited over this last gift. It was really intended for the whole group but since he had no gift for the Thunderer, he decided to present it to him.

Pulling hard the dragon keeper yanked the heavy oilcloth off, revealing a large sturdy wooden door. It was still a mystery why the Rora Angel and her outsiders were so interested in doors: the Soultaker was always checking and testing them. The Angel had even interrogated him about them on two separate occasions, including one where she seemed to think a door would help them beat the goblins behind the guarded wall. The Thunderer would surely be pleased by such a great outworlder status symbol!

Theo absentmindedly traced the worn patterns on the Spark. “I am Theobald Hillshire of Icemist.” He said the words without thinking, more from habit than anything else, and then scanned the faces of his companions. “I have been thinking about what I should say, now that I hold the Spark. I could tell you stories about how a single demon would rip through a company of men during the Demon Wars so you could understand just how dangerous this demon could be. I could tell you about the hordes of refugees and how only one in five made it safely through demon occupied lands, the rest going to feed some demon’s belly.”

“I could tell you those things, but I’m not going to. Instead I’m going to say that I agree with Aurora. My nephew is still back in Icemist, as is his lovely wife. Until you brought it to mind, lass, I don’t think I ever really know how much danger they could be in. Zuras strike me if I let my family die for my folly.”

“And now it is time to vote.” Theo handed the rod to his left.

“We should go to the demon tree and defeat it if we can.” The rod passed clockwise.

“Yes, to the tree.”

“Tree.”

“We destroy the tree.”

Theo accepted the rod from Aurora. “I suppose that makes it unanimous, then. This Cloud Council is now ended, and Pack’s Heroes from Icemist,” the old man favored the bard with a wink, “will destroy the demon tree underneath this sunless citadel.”

Next Time!

"Let Sleeping Dragon's Lie," or "This Ain't No Sleeping Beauty!"

Remove ads