S'mon's New XP System

S'mon

Legend
That would seem tho to strongly shift towards the short rests or do you limit those?

I limit them to 3/day, but I have rarely seen more than 2/day in practice, usually followed by everyone taking a long rest.
I also have an Overnight Rest that restores 1 hp/level and lets casters swap out one memorised spell.

5ekyu

Hero
I limit them to 3/day, but I have rarely seen more than 2/day in practice, usually followed by everyone taking a long rest.
I also have an Overnight Rest that restores 1 hp/level and lets casters swap out one memorised spell.
So that's maybe 3/day at an hour each vs a week for long rest.

Ok.

S'mon

Legend
So that's maybe 3/day at an hour each vs a week for long rest.

Ok.

Yup. Since PCs are either taking a short rest or a long rest that restores everything, in practice I've not seen any issue with spamming short rests by say resting for 3 days with 9 SRs, although it could happen - in theory Fighters could Second Wind 9 times and get a lot of hp back while other PCs only got level x 3 back. But in practice if the PCs can rest 3 days they can nearly always rest 7 days and get everything back.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin

So nothing for spontaneous casters?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
This is extremely similar to an idea I had the other day:
a) 100 XP to level up, regardless of your level.
b) Easy encounter: 5 XP. Medium: 10 XP. Hard: 20 XP. Deadly: 40 XP.
c) If you prefer quest awards instead of encounter awards, just pick the % of a level you think it's worth. Like, "This major quest is worth 2/3 of a level" = 66 XP. If you want, you could scale this up/down based on character levels, e.g., "This level 8 side quest is worth 60 XP at levels 1-6, 50 XP at levels 7-9, and 25 XP at levels 10-20." (You could do a smoother curve or just a direct linear scaling of [base quest XP * quest level / party level], but that gets kinda mathy and defeats the point of a simple "every level is 100 XP" system.)

Divide these numbers by 10 and you have [MENTION=463]S'mon[/MENTION]'s system, almost exactly (except I would be slightly more generous with the Deadly encounters because, uh, they're deadly).

5ekyu

Hero
Yup. Since PCs are either taking a short rest or a long rest that restores everything, in practice I've not seen any issue with spamming short rests by say resting for 3 days with 9 SRs, although it could happen - in theory Fighters could Second Wind 9 times and get a lot of hp back while other PCs only got level x 3 back. But in practice if the PCs can rest 3 days they can nearly always rest 7 days and get everything back.
I wasntvthinking as much about spamming multiple rests but simply building for short rests and going for multiple runs based on that. If the group runs two raids a day and say brings warlocks, fighters, even some druids then their ongoing sustainable capabilities go thru the roof over a 7 day period as opposed to what they gain at a singlexweek off.

Of course, the GM csn msnagevtime and pacing thru story and threat to make sure this doesn't get out of whack- tending to give long rest breaks often enough to make it not an issue in play. Thsts the same way the base rules play out too - GM pacing/story letting it not be a problem.

I'm currently playing 3 campaigns, in 2 of them (1 of these I DM) we don't use XP anymore at all.
It's just "intuitive milestones" we use, in case we forget the players will remind the DM.
But surely not always granting players' wishes for leveling.
The DM knows best at which level he needs the PCs, so it's a mix of keeping the suspense, fitting it to the adventure, and keeping the players happy.
No need fiddling with xp.

Deserved leveling is imo one of the best parts of the game. Sometimes maybe the xps would not add up, although it feels like they deserved it.

Remove ads