• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Snarling Wolf Stance & Immediate Actions

Psimancer

First Post
With the introduction of Martial Power II & the level 5 Ranger power 'Snarling Wolf Stance', it has raised the question, "Can an Opportunity Action and a Immediate Action both be provoked by the same trigger?"

Snarling Wolf Stance (Opportunity Action, Trigger: An enemy hits or misses you with a close or a melee attack)

Foxes Cunning (Immediate Reaction, Trigger: An enemy makes a melee attack against you)

Unbalancing Parry (Immediate Reaction, Trigger: An enemy misses you with a melee attack)

I cannot seem to find anything that would prohibit both from happening, but I would like to verify before the situation occurs in our game.

abyssaldeath

First Post
With the introduction of Martial Power II & the level 5 Ranger power 'Snarling Wolf Stance', it has raised the question, "Can an Opportunity Action and a Immediate Action both be provoked by the same trigger?"

Snarling Wolf Stance (Opportunity Action, Trigger: An enemy hits or misses you with a close or a melee attack)

Foxes Cunning (Immediate Reaction, Trigger: An enemy makes a melee attack against you)

Unbalancing Parry (Immediate Reaction, Trigger: An enemy misses you with a melee attack)

I cannot seem to find anything that would prohibit both from happening, but I would like to verify before the situation occurs in our game.
You can certainly do both. They are completely separate action that have nothing to do with each other.

MarkB

Legend
This is nothing new. A Fighter whose adjacent marked target makes a ranged or area attack that doesn't include him gets both an immediate action attack (from combat challenge) and an opportunity attack, and there are a number of circumstances wherein a Readied action (which triggers as an Immediate action) might coincide with an opportunity attack.

There's nothing in the rules to say that you must choose between these actions, and the general consensus is that you get both.

johnmeier1

Explorer
I don't have the book, but I am curious. Does the Snarling Wolf Stance give you an opportunity attack? I have a ranger with an Opportunistic Weapon and I am looking for ranger powers that give OAs. They must say "opportunity attack" to work.

interwyrm

First Post
I don't have the book, but I am curious. Does the Snarling Wolf Stance give you an opportunity attack? I have a ranger with an Opportunistic Weapon and I am looking for ranger powers that give OAs. They must say "opportunity attack" to work.

I suggest using the compendium to search for ranger powers with the phrase "opportunity attack"

As far as I can see, none of them grant you opportunity attacks.
Pursuit of the Wild Hunt gives your beast companion opportunity attacks, but that won't help you.

webrunner

First Post
Hypothetically if you have a monster do something, eg: attack, and that trigger (let's say "makes an attack against x") triggers an immediate reaction, an immediate interrupt, and an opportunity attack.. the timing is going to be hell to figure out

DracoSuave

First Post
Hypothetically if you have a monster do something, eg: attack, and that trigger (let's say "makes an attack against x") triggers an immediate reaction, an immediate interrupt, and an opportunity attack.. the timing is going to be hell to figure out

Not at all.

Either you have the interrupt and the OA go off, which means you choose the order, or you have the OA and the reaction go off, which means the order is OA, then trigger, then reaction.

Remove ads