• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak Attack + Hide

JoeFaust

First Post
Can a rogue in hiding launch a sneak attack on an opponent? i.e., Does a hidden rogue count as "invisible" as per Table 8-8: Attack Roll Modifiers on page 132 of the PHB?

If so, I assume the opponent gets a "reactive" spot check to attempt to see the rogue. If he succeeds, does the opponent still count as surprised and/or flatfooted, and thus the rogue gets the sneak attack anyway?

--JoeFaust

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Crothian said:
Yes

The spot hide rolls should already be rolled, that detemines if the person is hiding.

It rather determines if the person is hidden from the observer (I know I can be pedantic...)

For the original question: Unlike "Hide in Shadows" from AD&D, 3e hide is an opposed roll, opposed by spot. If the enemy can spot you, you're obviously not hidden, and if he can't, you'll be able to sneak attack him (don't forget that you'll probably have to sneak up on him, so there's another roll - move silently vs. listen)

hong

WotC's bitch
Roll on 4E, I say, when Hide + Move Silently will be combined into "Stealth", and Search + Spot + Listen will be combined into "Perception".

Hong "so many skills, so little time" Ooi

dcollins

Explorer
Joe, I think you also want to look in Song & Silence. My understanding is that it has additional detail for sneak-attacks-from-hiding, as well as how difficult it is to remain in hiding after the first attack.

Pooka

First Post
Hi !

Wonderful, I had nearly the same question. I think invisible here just means not seen by the one you want to attack. Otherwise how could you ever snipper someone in a dark alley ....
:D

And if your opponent is involved in a fight with your companions you should be able to sneak attack.

What a about a shadowdancer and her hide in plain sight ability (point blank and precise shot)?
Thats a supernatural ability. When I´m hidden somewhere take a shot on an opponent, I should be able to hide again, shouldn´t I?
Will he recognise me at all, when he is still fighting with my friends?

Pooka

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Hiding again will impose a -20 penalty on your hide check, AFAIK.

Hide in plain side simply allows you to use hide even if there's nothing to hide behind, all you need is a shadow.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads