Sniktch's Story Hour - City of the Spider Queen (Updated 04/25)

Sniktch

First Post
Thanks, Broccli-head. I'm trying to move up our schedule, but a lot is up to Malobar, who runs one of our other campaigns. He might be leaving town this weekend, so we may get to play two weeks early, anyway.

I started another thread to deal with the beginning of our campaign, and how the characters made it from level 1-10. You can check it out over here.

I have Jack's correct sheet finally - I'll post it as soon as I get home tonight.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
hey Sniktch!

your link on the other thread doesn't link to this one (too many backslashes, i think)

just thought you'd want to know

Sniktch

First Post
Stumpwater Jack

Good call. The link should work now, it just brought me here.

As promised earlier today, here is the 10th level Stumpwater Jack:

EDIT: Character sheet moved to Rogue's Gallery

Last edited:

Milo Windby

First Post
Re: praise!

Broccli_Head said:
so far I really like the story. too bad you guys don't play the game but once every 3 weeks.

I am really intrigued by the characters especially, Artimas & Malobar.
I'm with BH, great story hour.

I too am curious about some of the characters, but more about the motives of the group as a whole. Why does a LG cleric willingly ally herself with a cleric of death that has shown NE leanings? I've always seen LG as an extremely limiting alignment that is generally compelled to follow a paladin-like code, albeit personal and self-motivated.

Grick fascinates me as well. I like the relationship portrayed between him and Quinn. I have a friend in another game that wants to move into the Drunken Master PrC. It's good to see the class RPed here. I hope he follows the same path Grick has taken and actually puts motive behind his class rather than just taking it for the benefits.

I'm looking forward to more. I'll have to go read your prequel now.

Sniktch

First Post
Lawful Good

Well, conflict is an ever present factor within our party, and a lot of it has to do with the dynamic of two lawful good dwarves hanging out with a necromancer. This shows up a lot more when Jack stays awake for the full session.

Why does the party stay together? We've always been of the opinion that alignments cover a fairly broad area, though, kind of like with real people. Rather than allowing alignment to constrain us into a role, we use it as a general guideline as to what our character would do in a situation. If I were to break them into categories, Quinn would fall into a "pure of heart" type of LG - compassionate, caring, tolerant of others' faults, and finding the good in everyone. She can interact with Artimas on a friendly level because she sees the good in him, or the potential for good. Jack, on the other hand, is a little more of a zealot, with a harsh personal code that is as unforgiving as it is merciless. Really just two different shades of white, and who is to say which is brighter?

Speaking of Artimas, he does not see his actions as evil, or where he does see his actions as evil he tries to counterbalance them with good. The teachings of Arawn taught him that after death the soul goes to the Realm of the Dead, and the body is no longer needed or cared for. The corpses he animates are tools to him, to be used to further whatever ends those with the power use them for. This is not an insult to the dead, as they have departed long ago. Intelligent undead are not tolerated by the church, and are either brought under church control or destroyed. And yeah, sure Artimas uses Grim Feast, Death Knell, and other evil spells, but the way he sees it, that is counteracted by the fact that he uses them to destroy evil beings.

The party treads a fine line and has come close to open blows several times, but something has always defused the situation before it went to far. Most recently they were all united by their hatred and fear of the deceased tiefling called the Mask, who used his hat of disguise and assassin skills to join the party and wreak havoc several times. Without this common enemy, it appears that Jack and Artimas are headed for a confrontation again, although everyone else would rather just maintain the status quo.

EDIT: I talked to Jack on the phone the other day and it reminded me of the whole alignment question. I thought of a couple of examples of the LG character hanging out with a character with evil tendencies from popular fiction. The relationship between Jack and Artimas could be compared with the relationship between Sturm and Raistlin in the Dragonlance series. Later in the series, we have a totally different LG w/ Evil dynamic introduced in the form of Raistlin and Crysania.

Last edited:

Jameumz

First Post
Alright, alright, here it is already. Phillistines.
This would probably look a lot cleaner with some extra HTML tags, but beggars can't be choosers.

Grick
Male Half-Orc Monk7/Drunken Master3 (Sixty-Six Drunken Demons of the Autumn Tower Boxing)
Height: 5'5" Weight: 194 lb. Hair: Black Eyes: Brown Age: 26
Abil: Str 20 Dex 16 Con 15 Int 12 Wis 18 Cha 10; BAB: +8/+3 or +8/+5/+2; AC: 26 (+3 dex, +2 deflection, +4 armor, +2 natural, +4 wisdom, +1 monk, [+2 dodge bonus with swaying waist]); HP: 86
Skills: Bluff +9, Climb +14, Hide +10, Jump +50, Listen +17, Move Silently +10, Tumble +8;
Feats*: Combat Reflexes, [Deflect Arrows], Dodge, Great Fortitude, [Improved Trip], [Improved Unarmed Strike], Mantis Leap, [Stunning Fist]
Class Features: evasion, still mind, slow fall (30'), wholeness of body (14hp), leap of the clouds, drink like a demon, bottle proficiency, stagger, swaying waist, stunning attack (DC 17)
Possessions: amulet of natural armor +2, bracers of armor +4, ring of protection +2, ring of jumping, slippers of spider climbing, +1 butterfly sword of sure-striking, 3 potions of flaming fists, 3 potions of cure moderate wounds, 2 potions of haste, monk's outfit, hidden boot flask, large clay jug, miscellaneous items (backpack, bedroll, etc.)

* Feats enclosed in brackets are class-based.

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Yeah, you better hurry and do something! You're going to have competition with Ziona's group (which includes Dr. Midnight, etc...)

Don't worry...I won't jump ship and will stay loyal!

:D

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Good start to the campaign! Fun characters too, although I'm betting you guys are going to miss a bit of long distance arcane spell-hurling at some point...

Nice to see genuine role-played inter-party conflict too. Hopefully they can get along to some extent...

I shall enjoy adding this story hour to my collection, as it were!

Remove ads