• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sniper PrCs?

atomn

Explorer
Are there any WotC PrCs geared towards sniping (that are available to crossbowers, ideally and are for non-Evil characters)?

Which makes for a better sniper, a Rogue for the Sneak Attack damage or a Fighter for the better feats and BAB? I would guess Rogue but I'm sure someone here has some good advice & experience.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kwitchit

First Post
Crossbow Sniper feat from PHB2 (1/2 Dex to crossbow damage, extra sneak attack range)
Arcane Archer might work, but might not be what you are looking for.
Order of the Bow Initiate (CW) is the sniper class. It's meant for normal bows, but all its abilities work with a crossbow if you have Weapon Focus: crossbow.

atomn

Explorer
Kwitchit said:
Crossbow Sniper feat from PHB2 (1/2 Dex to crossbow damage, extra sneak attack range)
Arcane Archer might work, but might not be what you are looking for.
Order of the Bow Initiate (CW) is the sniper class. It's meant for normal bows, but all its abilities work with a crossbow if you have Weapon Focus: crossbow.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I was looking for more mundane (non-magical) so I'd stear away from the Arcane Archer.

The prerequisite I saw says WF: Any straight bow. Was the OotBI errata'ed to allow Weapon Focus: Crossbow or is that a house rule? (It seems like a valid house rule to me.)

Storyteller01

First Post
3.0 Deepwoods Sniper wasn't errated. It should still be usable. Other than that D&D isn't really geared towards snipers. There are some interesting house rules though.

I'd also recommend second world simulations Crossbow Master. It's a third party source, but it seems to be what you're after. Enworld has it here as a PDF, and you should still be able to find it used.

Last edited:

Kwitchit

First Post
atomn said:
The prerequisite I saw says WF: Any straight bow. Was the OotBI errata'ed to allow Weapon Focus: Crossbow or is that a house rule? (It seems like a valid house rule to me.)
Neither nor. You need WF: any straight bow to get in, and then WF: crossbow to use the abilities with a crossbow. That's a waste of a feat, but it will give you the crossbow snipage you want.

Alternatively, if I was DMing I'd allow you to get in to OotBI using a crossbow. That may just be me, though, as I often monkey with these kinds of requirements if the change is for reasons of flavour rather than power (and most ranged powerbuilds use a longbow).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads