• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, are we still going to be doing this when we're 70?

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
die_kluge said:
I mean, how many orcs does one have to slay in a lifetime before it becomes kind of old hat?

Until they are all in their orcie graves.

I mean, will I still have a thing for clerics 40 years from now?

According to my crystal ball, they'll be called "priests" again in D&D 18e (revised).

I am now 32. When I am 70 I will vote for the Skynet bill so the machines can take over and I will jack myself into the Matrix and spend my golden years as a human ranger.

robaustin

First Post
We were talking about this with my group a few weeks ago. We'll all be retired to Florida -sitting around the clubhouse of the retirement community playing D&D. Yeah its weird to picture - but if you think about what technological advancements will be made by then - will the young people of the time even be playing paper and pencil RPG's? Will we at that time be viewed as passe - for playing paper and pencil?

"You know sonny, there's nothing like playing with your imagination - none of that virtual stuff for me!"

"Oooooh grandpa - you're SO old fashioned. I just leveled up in Everquest 2040."

--*Rob

VorpalBunny

Explorer
die_kluge said:
So, I spend my free hours drawing up dungeons and populating them with monsters, traps, and puzzles. I'm 30 years old.

Do you think we'll all still be doing this when we're 70?

And won't dungeons, traps, and monsters be kind of "boring" at that point?

Reality Check: How old are EGG, Dave Arneson and the other "founding fathers"? Maybe not 70 yet, but I'm sure they'll be doin' their thing well past 70.

I for one, am looking forward to hearing "Grandpa, can we play a character in your D&D game this week?" or "Grandpa, can you run us through Keep on the Borderlands again? Pleeeeeaaaase??"

:D

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Let's see... I'm 21 now, so I'll be 70 in 2052... All of my grandparents except for one who died of smoking related cancers lived into their 80's, so I probably will as well, even without the progress in medicine and life-extending technologies that I'm expecting...

I'll be playing, but I won't be rolling dice. I'll just download my consciousness into a young Paladin on the Faerun server for awhile... or maybe a Jedi on the Star Wars server... that is, if I'm not too busy terraforming Mars or on board a generation ship bound for Epsilon Eridinae...

We've got a really weird century ahead of us, to say the least. By the time I'm 70, the line between fantasy and reality will probably be far thinner than it is now.

:)

der_kluge

Adventurer
So, if we're all still playing in 40 years, what kinds of fresh new products are publishers going to be putting out? I mean, they're already in a rut 3 years after D20 came out. How many more splat books can we possibly handle?!

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
26. And FINALLY getting to play....I spent 8 or 9 years around people who played, who wouldn't let me play with them (one group didn't allow girls and the other group didn't want anymore players), and come hell or high water I'm never stopping, now that I've started.

In fact, for my 70th birthday, I'm going to ask for whatever the newest edition players handbook is at that time. And I'm going to start up a RPG club at the ol' nursing home...

;)

~Sheri

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Re: Blasphamy!

Argent said:
I have been playing D&D since I was 16, I just had my 40th birthday and I still will be playing until I can no longer roll dice.
Really?

It never crossed my mind that you were older than maybe 16.

Remove ads