So Draconomicon looks awesome. Should WotC put out more books on other monsters

Aeolius

Adventurer
Kamikaze Midget said:
I'd *HEART* an Underwater Adventures book....I think there's been something like this in the brooding stages for a long time (so many aquatic versions of monsters!)...but I haven't seen it yet...

Like THIS perhaps? ;)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Hm...not bad, but it seems to have some pointlessness to it, too...

HC or soft? Could be okay, but I was thinking more like an FRCS of the undersea...an aquatic campaign setting....which this is close to....but I think I could pen something not unlike it myself (which is my main motivation for buying stuff. ;))

Aeolius

Adventurer
Kamikaze Midget said:
HC or soft? Could be okay, but I was thinking more like an FRCS of the undersea...an aquatic campaign setting....

Hardcover, 256 pages.

As for an aquatic campaign setting...sounds vaguely familiar (points down to link in signature) :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Kamikaze Midget said:
Constructs might not have enough variety...but it could be great...once built and programmed, there's not a lot you can do with 'em...

So, you go into great detail about how you program them, and the behaviors that would result.

Vaxalon said:
WotC shouldn't do ANY more monster types.

They should leave that kind of book to the D20 publishers.

Any particular reason for that position? WotC leaves many things open to the d20 folks for reason of profitability. If it is profitable, why shouldn't WotC do their own?

haiiro

First Post
Draconomicon is the next thing on my list (along with GR's Mindshadows), and it does look fantastic.

I like niche monster books, as long as the niche is big enough. FFG has done three good ones -- Twisted Lore, Giant Lore and Draconic Lore -- and more in that vein would be just fine by me. Even if I'm not theming a campaign around a particular type of creature, there's more than enough info to pull away bits and pieces for more general use.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
You've sold me on your campaign setting....but the amount of free-form means that rules are light...if I were to port this into my Sunday game.....eep! :)

Altalazar

First Post
I think that would be a great idea.

I agree with those who think that a single creature with not as many variations and types as the dragon would spread such a book rather thin.

A way around that would be to use other, similar diverse groups, such as Giants, that have been suggested.

Another possibility is having books on whole "Monster Ecosystems" as it were - that are all related together - like a group of races one always finds in the same location, including the interactions between them, and so forth. Such interactions could vary from master/slave for certain evil humanoids to full partnerships or trading partners. This would be good for those races that do not have a rich variety like dragons or giants, but would give plenty of material for a good-sized book.

While even more general themed books, like on undead, might be useful, I'd like to see books focusing down a little more on the day-to-day details of individual races. Like the details you'd see on a field report of "Life Among the Orcs" to give a real flavor to what is otherwise just a few paragraphs in the Monster Manual.

wolfen

First Post
I'd like to see a book on Undead, HOWEVER...

What about a book on creatures that magic users can create, etc.? Undead falls into this category, but so do Golems -- and perhaps a variety of other things. Can you make an Owlbear, for example? I dunno. But it would be cool to see what they could come up with. In other words, a book that not only discusses the Undead etc., but goes into detail regarding the creation of them and constructs, etc. so that wizards of various schools might benefit...

wolfen

Remove ads