So Draconomicon looks awesome. Should WotC put out more books on other monsters

Krug

Newshound
They should print one about the guys who really run the universe. Koboldnomicon. Can you picture the Todd lockwood art in that one? :D

myrdden

First Post
Umbran said:
Only if they can keep the quality and diversity of stuff in the book high. Dragons are a particularly rich subject. Many types, many ages, many different behaviors. Effectively, it's not a book about one type of monster, but of many different monsters.

Other books should keep that in mind. A single entire book of the same size on mind flayers, or sahuagin wouldend up with the good content spread kind of thin. A book on "classics", on giants, on humanoids, on underdark critters, on mind flayers/githyanki/githzerai, on aquatic critters, a book with a broad base that follows a theme, might be welcome.

I agree with you completely. I would not be in favour of a whole wack of books covering specific monsters but rather a few books that focused on a "monster genre". I think a book detailing the undead might be a good choice. But then others have already done it (Slayer's Guide...) so what could WotC bring to the table that already isn't there?

Myrdden

Mercule

Adventurer
My gut reaction was "no", but with minimal thought, I could see a hardcover with each of the broad types (Abominations, Fey, Constructs, Undead, Giants, etc.).

I probably wouldn't buy the Abominations, myself, but I think it would sell well enough. Otherwise, I'd be all over Fey, Undead, and Giants.

It's probable that some of the types could be broken down into race-books (liches, vampires, trolls, hobgoblins, orcs, etc.), but I'd resist that urge from a market perspective. Sure, some people might buy a 256 tome on trolls, and some a 256 page tome on ogres, with some customer overlap, I think that a single 256 tome on Giants would sell more than the other two together. Of course, since I wouldn't buy a book on any single giant type, but would buy a combined book, my preference shows.

After the core rulebooks, I'd put Draconomicon in my top 3 list for 3E WOTC products based on quality of material and presentation, though it'll get a little less use 'cause we don't have a dragon in every session. I'm quite happy with the purchase -- thanks johnsemlak for Sharing the Love (tm)!

This isn't ground that Mongoose hasn't already covered, but I'm with other posters in that I'd pick up a well-executed book on a monster type. I'd personally find Giants and Fey (maybe Undead) interesting; IMO there's too much variance in the other creature types to make for a unified "type" book; they're better off with a "Slayer's Guide" approach for a single monster like Beholders of Mind Flayers.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Aeolius said:
In lieu of that, how about a book on hags?

While I know you've got a hag-o-rama going, I don't think the product would sell very well. In order to work, I expecta monster book needs to be focused, small, paperback, and cheap, or large, broad, hardcover and expensive. The third party publishers seem to have the former covered. That leaves the latter open ground for WotC.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
I think WotC should do a select few and the slayer guides are a mixed bag. I own many of them and will continue to get the ones that interest me but Mongoose doesn't seem to have the same quality control standards that WotC has.

I think WotC should do the following:
Undead
Giants (including trolls)
Goblinoids
Fey
Constructs
Outsiders

I'd buy a Fiendonomicon or an Undeadonomicon. I think beyond that, though, you're really starting to get into too specialized a market for mass appeal the same way Draconomicon was.

Harlock

First Post
Heck, I'd settle for some "Suggested Uses/Ecology" entries in the MM... I know, I know, not everyone wants that kind of thing, but I think it's incredibly fun and if you choose to ignore it, more power to you. I'm all about the Rule Zero.

JPL

Adventurer
Undead would work great.

Giants might work, too. I think 2nd Edition's Giantcraft has some good stuff.

After that, it thins out quite a bit. Maybe a joint book on mind flayers and beholders?

Some of the lesser races would perhaps be better served by a Polyhedron feature a la "Knights of the Lich Queen." I wouldn't want 250 pages of githyanki [or hobgoblins, or hags], but that Poly game was just perfect.

Remove ads