so much for cutting the cord costing less in the US

GreyLord

Legend

My total monthly is 35 dollars USD ,this includes prime and wal-mart plus which are both discounted for me due to being on Medicaid/Medicare.
You get a discount from disability? How does that work?

I have to admit, I don't know what my streaming bill is right now. I have it paid automatically each month.

I think it probably is something around $260 looking at general costs (not including Prime, but I get Prime for shipping, not the shows. I almost never watch anything on Prime) annually.

So, that's something like $21.75/month? Definitely cheaper than I used to pay for Cable.

You get a discount from disability? How does that work?

I have to admit, I don't know what my streaming bill is right now. I have it paid automatically each month.

I think it probably is something around $260 looking at general costs (not including Prime, but I get Prime for shipping, not the shows. I almost never watch anything on Prime) annually.

So, that's something like $21.75/month? Definitely cheaper than I used to pay for Cable.
I scanned my EBT card for prime( after taxes: $7.52/month ), then my Medicare or my Medicaid card ( I think I scanned both cards, but it was months ago) for Wal-mart plus (6.96 per month included taxes, I plan to switch to a yearly after the new year and i've moved into my permeant place), I guess i could have scanned my EBT card for walmart+ too. It basically cuts the price in half for prime and walmart plus.

The only reason why i know what mine is because I needed to figure out a budget, I'll be cutting Max after this month,I only subbed to catch up on Doctor Who and then kept it for The Gilded Age which airs it's season finale tonight.

I scanned my EBT card for prime( after taxes: $7.52/month ), then my Medicare or my Medicaid card ( I think I scanned both cards, but it was months ago) for Wal-mart plus (6.96 per month included taxes, I plan to switch to a yearly after the new year and i've moved into my permeant place), I guess i could have scanned my EBT card for walmart+ too. It basically cuts the price in half for prime and walmart plus.

The only reason why i know what mine is because I needed to figure out a budget, I'll be cutting Max after this month,I only subbed to catch up on Doctor Who and then kept it for The Gilded Age which airs it's season finale tonight.
That’s ultimately the trick with streaming: rotate subscriptions. Netflix is the only “permanent” sub we have and thats because its included in our cell phone plan. Otherwise we currently pay for Peacock because my wife has some shows she’s watching on it, but once she’s caught up, we'll drop it and subscribe to something else to see what there is to watch. We probably won’t resub to Max until Last of Us or House of the Dragon have a new season, so that will be a chance to catch up on things we missed between seasons. We don’t typically have more than 2 subs with Netflix being essentially free.

MarkB

Legend
That’s ultimately the trick with streaming: rotate subscriptions. Netflix is the only “permanent” sub we have and thats because its included in our cell phone plan. Otherwise we currently pay for Peacock because my wife has some shows she’s watching on it, but once she’s caught up, we'll drop it and subscribe to something else to see what there is to watch. We probably won’t resub to Max until Last of Us or House of the Dragon have a new season, so that will be a chance to catch up on things we missed between seasons. We don’t typically have more than 2 subs with Netflix being essentially free.
Yeah, this is how I've been watching Paramount+ and Apple TV+, except that I wound up cancelling Apple before I'd watched everything because I had a lot of trouble getting their in-browser video software to actually play content consistently on my PC.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have Netflix, Prime, Disney, Paramount, Apple, SkyTV (all packages except sports)… yeah that adds up to a lot. I suppose the BBC license fee also counts though it’s not technically a subscription. I don’t even want to add it all up. I’m afraid to!

ichabod

Legned
I think I may have a more radical version of cord cutting than most people. My streaming bill for the last month was $7.98 for watching two movies on Vudu. For year to date it's $47.88.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Also, for two weeks around Black Friday (yall just missed it) Amazon will offer several streamers for 2 bucks a month for two months. I blast through everything I need on P+ and Starz in that time for the cost of one month of one of them. Maybe even less.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yeah, this is the way. Though I am not great on keeping on top of it and there have been periods where I've paid for a service I haven't watched for several month.

Amazon Prime is the one I'm always subscribed to because I have Prime for shipping anyway and use the Amazon visa card, which I started using instead of Airline points card as I get much more value out of the Amazon rewards than the increasingly depreciating value of airline miles.

I get Netflix from a family member, who added me to her family plan, so I always have that. I got Apple TV as a promo when I bought a computer and there have just been enough shows in the backlog to keep me subscribing to it. I cycle Paramont and HBO Max subscriptions based on the one or two shows on each I want to see.

I don't miss network TV at all and haven't had a TV antenna, dish, or cable TV in over 15 years. Even before that, I was living abroad and while my wife would watch local TV, I would just by DVDs or shows on iTunes when the seasons were released on disk.

I no longer have any tolerance for advertisements and refuse to pay for any streaming service that includes them.

I got Apple TV as a promo when I bought a computer and there have just been enough shows in the backlog to keep me subscribing to it.
Good to hear there’s stuff worth watching. I have 3 months free I need to redeem soon for buying a new phone, just waiting for my holiday vacation to see what there is to watch on it.

I no longer have any tolerance for advertisements and refuse to pay for any streaming service that includes them.
Same. An extra $6 or w/e to remove ads is worth it. I just wish Max would understand if I’m paying for ad-free, that includes their ads they include for their own shows.

Remove ads