so much for cutting the cord costing less in the US

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Good to hear there’s stuff worth watching. I have 3 months free I need to redeem soon for buying a new phone, just waiting for my holiday vacation to see what there is to watch on it.
I only watch the Apple originals. I wouldn't get Apple TV to have a huge catalog of content from various studios.

The first show I watched on Apple TV was "Prehistoric Earth" which I binge-watched with the family.

The first show I personally got into was "For All Mankind", it almost jumped the shark for me with a lot of the interpersonal filler, but has kept enough alternate history of the space race goodness to keep me current.

Then I got into "Foundation" and I would totally subscribe to Apple TV just for this show, even if it were to subscribe and then cancel when a season ends, and resubscribe when a new season starts. It has been a looong time since I read the books and I'm not the type to get overly worked up when a TV series doesn't hew to the source fiction. I know a lot of fans of the book hate the show, but I've really enjoyed it. But I also liked the Witcher on Netflix. Apparently I don't have discerning tastes in TV. :)

My wife and I both enjoyed "Severance."

I also like "Silo". Again, I wouldn't subscribe to Apple TV just for this, but I am into it enough to make sure to watch new episodes as they are released.

I currently watching "Monarch: Legacy of Monsters". I enjoy it enough but I don't rush to watch every episode as its released. I kinda let a couple build up and watch it when I have to chunk of time. I wouldn't subscribe to Apple TV just for this show.

"The Velvet Underground" is a good rockumentary if you are into that.

On my to-watch list is "Wolfwalkers" an animated show based on Irish folklore.

Same. An extra $6 or w/e to remove ads is worth it. I just wish Max would understand if I’m paying for ad-free, that includes their ads they include for their own shows.
Most of the streaming services will have short adds for their other and upcoming shows at the beginning of episodes. But all of them give you the ability to skip over them. Even if they didn't, it doesn't bother me as much (maybe a bit when I'm binge watching). What I really can't stand is having ads in the middle of a show. I don't care how great a show on network TV is. I'll wait until its available on a streaming service before I'll watch it. Having a show interrupted with ads completely ruins TV for me. I'd give up on TV altogether before watching TV with ads in the middle of shows.

Zardnaar

Legend
That’s ultimately the trick with streaming: rotate subscriptions. Netflix is the only “permanent” sub we have and thats because its included in our cell phone plan. Otherwise we currently pay for Peacock because my wife has some shows she’s watching on it, but once she’s caught up, we'll drop it and subscribe to something else to see what there is to watch. We probably won’t resub to Max until Last of Us or House of the Dragon have a new season, so that will be a chance to catch up on things we missed between seasons. We don’t typically have more than 2 subs with Netflix being essentially free.

Close to what we do. Netflix is basically $3. Would drop Disney+ for Paramount+ if it was an option at least until new Star Wars show.

Was gonna say the show previews can be skipped and I don’t consider them ads.
The last time I watched a show on Max, they couldn't be skipped. It was the final episode of The Last of Us and they had a pretty lengthy promo for their platform. They seem to run the longer unskippable promo at the end of a season. Probably worth mentioning this seems to be for first run content, the back catalog either doesn’t have them or they’re skippable.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The last time I watched a show on Max, they couldn't be skipped. It was the final episode of The Last of Us and they had a pretty lengthy promo for their platform. They seem to run the longer unskippable promo at the end of a season. Probably worth mentioning this seems to be for first run content, the back catalog either doesn’t have them or they’re skippable.
Hmm how are you watching it? Phone, laptop, or TV? I can’t remember it being unable to skip unless it’s the appointment release date and time.

Hmm how are you watching it? Phone, laptop, or TV? I can’t remember it being unable to skip unless it’s the appointment release date and time.
On a Roku and yeah, during the release time and date. For shows we really like, we typically watch them on release to avoid spoilers. Usually that’s on a Sunday night and our weekly PF2e game is Monday, which usually has us talking about the last week for 15 minutes or so prior. Easy to get a spoiler there.

Similar development over here in Europe. For our family the effect was that we cancelled most streaming services (we had active subscriptions to Netflix, Disney+ and Paramount+) - Amazon Prime is exempt from this so far, but that's due being used to the free priority shipping. But with the recent price hike, I am also reconsidering this.
There's also the more long-standing issue that the shows we have enjoyed got less and less, so price is not the only factor. We'll probably re-subscribe for a few month here and there, but right now it doesn't seem worth having permanent subscriptions.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Similar development over here in Europe. For our family the effect was that we cancelled most streaming services (we had active subscriptions to Netflix, Disney+ and Paramount+) - Amazon Prime is exempt from this so far, but that's due being used to the free priority shipping. But with the recent price hike, I am also reconsidering this.
There's also the more long-standing issue that the shows we have enjoyed got less and less, so price is not the only factor. We'll probably re-subscribe for a few month here and there, but right now it doesn't seem worth having permanent subscriptions.
Yes, the lack of quality content and price increase has me ready to cancel my sub.

The first show I personally got into was "For All Mankind", it almost jumped the shark for me with a lot of the interpersonal filler, but has kept enough alternate history of the space race goodness to keep me current.

I currently watching "Monarch: Legacy of Monsters". I enjoy it enough but I don't rush to watch every episode as its released. I kinda let a couple build up and watch it when I have to chunk of time. I wouldn't subscribe to Apple TV just for this show.
Those two shows make me strongly consider subbing to Apple TV,I've seen the first season of "For all mankind" blue-ray at walmart and I love Alternate history

Remove ads