• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So, reading the DMG... 5e is E20

pemerton

Legend
I loved the epic destinies of fourth edition and would love to see that return and this actually seems like a step in that direction.
Within the context of bounded accuracy, the level-bonuses and stat-gains in the 4e Epic tier have to be set aside. That leaves hit point gain, plus a slew of powers/features: the features from epic destinies (Level 21, 24, 26 utility power and 30) plus epic feats. (There is also the substitution of higher-level attack powers in place of lower level ones, but 5e doesn't really have an analogue for that either.)

To emulate that in 5e, it sounds like you would want "feat packages" or "boon packages" - so building on the current DMG approach with new feats/boons that emulate some of the key epic features that you want to carry forward into this edition, arranged in thematically unified bundles.

kerleth

Explorer
I though someone had mentioned things like gaining fire immunity and such. Also, is it just me or does + Ability Score Increase not equal + 9th level spell slot?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't know about E20, but stuff like this first started appearing in late 2e in the High Level Campaigns book. Not sure if it happened in 1e.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
There are a broad range of cool options for these boons, none of them particularly carefully balanced against each other or designed with the normal attention to class niches. One is proficiency in ALL skills, for example; another is that you don't age naturally; another is that you can turn invisible as an action at will if you're in low light.

The key point is that it explicitly says that the DM chooses what you get, so you can't min-max or step on the other party members' toes without his active help.

aramis erak

Legend
I don't know about E20, but stuff like this first started appearing in late 2e in the High Level Campaigns book. Not sure if it happened in 1e.

Not in TSR released stuff.
But TSR enumerated spells to "maximum spell ability"... (Cleric, Mage = 29th; Druid = 15th; Paladin = 20th; Ranger=17th)... however, some classes have open ended XP progressions (Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Cleric, Wizard, Thief), while some have X & Up notations...

E6 was a style of play proposed for 3E... stop level up at 6th, and instead grant just additional feats every so many XP. Which said, I've seen people claim to play E3 (stop at 3rd), E10 (stop at tenth) and E12 (Stop at 12th)...

Noting that the boon system applies to level 20 characters, and level 20 is anything over 355,000XP... Calling it E20 is not really a misnomer. And, since Epic play (level 20 play, essentially) now grants feats or boons, and allows breaking the 20 cap on attributes... yeah, it's E20... It does exactly what the E6 proposal did - sets a cap on level and thus hit dice, but allows continued growth via feats.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Ahhhh, I remember fondly ascending to Godhood in Basic D&D with the Imortals boxed set. I still remember running out of the Toys R Us to moms van and ripping the plastic wrap off of that gorgeous gold boxed set. So many options and cool things you could do. And then that first adventure where you got dumped in Manhatten, NY to deal with some issue of godly importance. Good times...

Sacrosanct

Legend
Not in TSR released stuff.
But TSR enumerated spells to "maximum spell ability"... (Cleric, Mage = 29th; Druid = 15th; Paladin = 20th; Ranger=17th)... however, some classes have open ended XP progressions (Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Cleric, Wizard, Thief), while some have X & Up notations...

E6 was a style of play proposed for 3E... stop level up at 6th, and instead grant just additional feats every so many XP. Which said, I've seen people claim to play E3 (stop at 3rd), E10 (stop at tenth) and E12 (Stop at 12th)...

Noting that the boon system applies to level 20 characters, and level 20 is anything over 355,000XP... Calling it E20 is not really a misnomer. And, since Epic play (level 20 play, essentially) now grants feats or boons, and allows breaking the 20 cap on attributes... yeah, it's E20... It does exactly what the E6 proposal did - sets a cap on level and thus hit dice, but allows continued growth via feats.

2e is in fact TSR

Remove ads