• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So, reading the DMG... 5e is E20

Sacrosanct

Legend
aramis erak said:
He specifically asked about 1E. Some 3rd party small press stuff did cover epic stuff for 1E. Stuff like level 40+...

The OP was implying 5e is like E20 because of things like this. GMforPowerGamers said it also showed up in 3e. I said it was even earlier and showed up 2e.

2e was very much TSR

helps if you actually follow the context, y'know.

Indeed.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Whatever 3.x book had those convoluted rules for epic level characters creating spells, with tons of math and so on... This is definitely way better than that was.

Rune

Once A Fool
Not that I disagree that 5e shares some resemblance with E6, but I think it's worth noting that the HD cap wasn't the most significant way that playstyle was changed (and neither was the inherent bounded accuracy of the system).

Both were important, but, in my opinion, the most important thing was that nothing in the game-world could cast a fourth or higher level spell.

aramis erak

Legend
Not that I disagree that 5e shares some resemblance with E6, but I think it's worth noting that the HD cap wasn't the most significant way that playstyle was changed (and neither was the inherent bounded accuracy of the system).

Both were important, but, in my opinion, the most important thing was that nothing in the game-world could cast a fourth or higher level spell.

I agree, that's a major point of E6 play and how it feels in play; but since others played E3 (no 3rd+ spells, and very few class abilities) or E10 (no 6th's but 5th level is in), saying it's E20 does capture that, procedurally, it's E20. Especially for those who are (like me) used to 30, 36, or 40 level rulesets (3E was no actual upper limit, but a class level limit of 20, for example, until ELH was released, and then extensions to class level 40. BECMI/Cyclopedia were level 36 capped, with some classes capped at 15 or lower, and if GAZ was in use, 22 for two classes.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads