• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, the DM Wants His Girlfriend to Play....

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Have one of the other players jump up and yell 'I waste her with my crossbow' and another yell 'Dibs on her stuff!'

Then let her know that it was a joke.

As others have said, just treat her as any other player. If you can do that then all should be fine. I just wish my girlfriend played, the only time I got her into a game was a LARP, she had fun, but no great urge to do it again. (Changeling LARP....)

The Auld Grump

Digital M@

Explorer
Having your GF joing the game is no different than having a good friend join the game. avoid saying "Scmoopy" and you should be fine. Your relationship/friendship is different with each person at the table and you manage to keep things rolling, it will be no different by adding your GF.

Largomad

First Post
So far my group is about my fiancee, two of her friends (that are married) a couple of old time friends and another girl (So its a 5 to 1 girls/guy proportion in the players side). Sometimes it could be hard to DM if there is a conflict between your fiancee and one of the other players (belive me it could be quite a pain :) ) . Except that, the game runs as smoothly as other game groups I have DM before.

Atavar

First Post
Thunderfoot said:
A question here is, how many people have you ever turned away and for what reasons?

Our group has turned away a new player, once. It was mainly due to his playing style not matching the group's.

I have not had a chance to get a nice, long look at my GF's playing style, but she's had a nice long look at ours. From what I have read in the play-by-post game she played in she seems to concentrate on the role-playing end of things more than the group does, but that may have been because of the nature of PBP games.

On a side note, one concern of our group has nothing to do with the fact that the new player is my GF. In short, she'd be the sixth character, and the party already seems to have too easy a time with encounters with five characters. A sixth player may not be necessary, in their minds.

Later

Atavar

SavageRobby

First Post
Oryan77 said:
Well, my wife is a player in our group and she loves to cook for everyone. She also looks great in a skirt. I was just thinking that's probably why no one has told me to kick her out :p J/K

Same here. :)

Our group contains 3 women, 2 are wives (one mine), and one is a fiance. One of the wives (not mine) is a total gaming newb, too. It hasn't caused any problems to-date, and the group has been together over 5 years now.

The three best pieces of advice here have been:
a) don't favor your GF
b) don't overdo not favoring your GF
c) don't overthink it

BTW, as a general thing, I've found the female players to be a bit more roleplaying oriented, and the male players to be a bit more combat oriented. Since we have a fairly even mix, that works well for us.

Phlebas

First Post
SavageRobby said:
BTW, as a general thing, I've found the female players to be a bit more roleplaying oriented, and the male players to be a bit more combat oriented. Since we have a fairly even mix, that works well for us.

2 female players IMC are the tank ("Can i hit him now") and the TWF ("Can i flank & full attack him now").

Its not that they don't Roleplay, its just they seem happier when large amounts of damage are being rolled......

just goes to show generalisations don't.....

[End thread hijack]

Gnome

First Post
My wife is in my group, and if there were any doubts about favoritism, these were banished when her character was killed. :lol: It wasn't me trying too hard to not show favoritism, either; just the way the dice landed.

In reality having her in the group has caused no issues whatsoever, so I agree about not overthinking it based on my experience at least.

Atavar said:
Our group has turned away a new player, once. It was mainly due to his playing style not matching the group's.

I have not had a chance to get a nice, long look at my GF's playing style, but she's had a nice long look at ours. From what I have read in the play-by-post game she played in she seems to concentrate on the role-playing end of things more than the group does, but that may have been because of the nature of PBP games.

On a side note, one concern of our group has nothing to do with the fact that the new player is my GF. In short, she'd be the sixth character, and the party already seems to have too easy a time with encounters with five characters. A sixth player may not be necessary, in their minds.

Later

Atavar
In that case, it is your fault. :) Actually, you fall in that iffy zone between increasing and doubling the monsters. I run a table of 12, so frankly ,I've had some practice at this. Just increase a normal encounter by half and things should 'feel' right for the group. Hopefully she will be kickin' butt with the best of 'em before too long. :D

Remove ads