D&D 5E So...Volo, Xanathar...who's next?

Mercurius

Legend
We have Volo's Guide to Monsters and soon Xanathar's Guide to Everything. While it is only a two-year pattern, it seems possible--even likely--that in 2018, we'll see X's Guide to Something, with "X" being some personage from the Forgotten Realms who is some variation on scholar, wizard, and explorer.

Of course who it will be depends upon what it is a guide for, which inevitably makes this a speculation thread for what 2018's theme book was (not my original intention, but oh well). We actually can get a sense of that, now that we know what "Dust" and "Midway" are and are not. This also assumes that WotC will continue the pattern of three books a year, two adventure books and one other/theme/splat book. Further, the adventure books have now broadened to include compilations (Tales) and hybrid gazetteers/story arcs (Storm King, Tomb).

So my guess would be that 2018 will see a similar product line:
*Another compilation of adventures, probably classics updated to 5E
*A story arc/gazetter combo
*A theme/splat book

OK, what we did not see from Xanathar and Tomb is: planes. That would be my first guess. The story/gazetteer hybrid would work great for Sigil, and the theme/splat book could be the equivalent of the Manual of the Planes. But who would be the individual involved? Are there any obvious personagesfor Somebody's Guide to the Planes? In particular, a female? I think in today's cultural context, WotC will be sensitive about being inclusive, not wanting to have three dudes in a row if at all possible. At the same time, I don't really see The Lady of Pain's Guide to the Planes.

I suppose it is also possible to see some kind of psionic theme for 2018, as the mystic will evidently not be in Xanathar. Maybe they combine it with the planes, or maybe it is an aberration-themed story arc, or maybe we'll get Dark Sun.

As a side thought, I wouldn't be surprised if the first half of 5E's cycle (assuming that 6E will correspond with the 50th anniversary in 2024, so 2014-18) will focus on the Realms, and the second half will be the "Planes and other worlds." Maybe, maybe not. If this is the case, 2018 could be a planes theme, but from the perspective of some Realms explorer, then 2019 could be the first in a series of other D&D worlds - so Dark Sun and psionics.

OK, go for it.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
If we don't see the planes next year, I'll be shocked. It's time for the D&D multiverse to take center stage. They've waited too long as it is, IMO.

MiraMels

Explorer
My money's on Clanless Mehen's Guide to Parenting. Forget the planes and the fancy fourth-tier nonsense, I want a down-to-earth guide to Realms as experienced by the people living in it.

Quickleaf

Legend
Xanxost.

Guide to Lemon Cello. And Edible Planar Stuff.

b3a8675b0f1ecd88d3044b1907d6db94.jpg

gyor

Legend
Nezram the World Walker is an Archwizard who is known for traveling the planes and planar magics, he came back to Faerun after the Spellplague, and was involved in over throwing the Imaskari Wizards, so he'd be an interesting choice for a Nezram's Guide to the Planes.

Ed Laprade

First Post
Nezram the World Walker is an Archwizard who is known for traveling the planes and planar magics, he came back to Faerun after the Spellplague, and was involved in over throwing the Imaskari Wizards, so he'd be an interesting choice for a Nezram's Guide to the Planes.
Actually, anyone else would be an odd choice for a Nezram's Guide to the Planes. ;)

OK, what we did not see from Xanathar and Tomb is: planes. That would be my first guess. The story/gazetteer hybrid would work great for Sigil, and the theme/splat book could be the equivalent of the Manual of the Planes. But who would be the individual involved? Are there any obvious personagesfor Somebody's Guide to the Planes? In particular, a female? I think in today's cultural context, WotC will be sensitive about being inclusive, not wanting to have three dudes in a row if at all possible. At the same time, I don't really see The Lady of Pain's Guide to the Planes.

They haven't even had two dudes in a row - beholders don't really have a defined gender...

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
They haven't even had two dudes in a row - beholders don't really have a defined gender...
Case in point: Xanathar is referred to as an "it" throughout Volo's Guide (which has a long write-up on the Xanathar Thieves' Guild). Since Beholders are created from dreams and madness, I believe they are asexual, as they never bear children in any physical sense.

Remove ads