• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So what do/did you study in college? Did you bother with college?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I had almost completed a degree in Industrial Psychology before I came to my senses. I went ahead and finished it, then went and got an IS degree with a Business Admin minor. Should have saved my time and money and gone to the local trade school. It would have served me better.

Breakstone

First Post
I'm wrapping up my first year (third quarter) of college at University of California Santa Cruz. Right now, I'm hoping for a Literature major with a concentration in Creative Writing. However, Creative Writing is a very competitive major (I think they let in something like 15 folks per quarter- yowzas!), and if that falls through then I'll most likely stick with Literature and concentrate on Modern Fiction.

One thing I'm always interested in is why people go to college. Personally, I'm here to take fun classes and learn new things that I've never had the opportunity to learn, and my parents (God bless 'em) support me for that (full in heart, and part financially. I'm working full-time during summers and part-time starting next semester to help pay as well!). The people I see having trouble in college (my roommate, for instance) seem to be very wishy-washy as to why they are here.

twofalls

DM Beadle
I don't have a college degree.

I took a few classes in English Lit, however my wife became pregnant and I needed to start bringing in money, so I abandoned higher education and went to work.

Reviewing my past, and the decisions I made back then I mildly regret not having finished my degree as it would place me in better positioning in the job market today. However I have many friends with degree's who make similar or less than I do today. All things considered, life has worked out well for me.

I have a close loving family, I consider that my greatest life achievement.

Oh, and my ponderous game book collection of course. ;)

ssampier

First Post
what a long, strange trip its been... or something

I have my AS and BS in Sociology with a minor in Information Systems. It took me five years to graduate since I changed my major and I had to retake some classes. I started as an AS business major. Then I changed to Technical Certifications - Novell. That didn't pan out (I received an B, C+, and D+ in my first three courses).

Then I changed to General AS. I didn't finish and I was tired of the small town I was taking my courses in, so I moved upstate to take classes at the university. There I started as a BS - Information Systems with a minor in Sociology. I grew tired of of Information Systems, so I flip-flopped my major and minor. Oddly enough, I work in technical support.

I paid school through government grants and loans (which I recently started paying). My mother helped me out as much as she could (niceties I couldn't afford, and picking up/dropping off at university).

In my four years I earned a double major in Art and Education and was two classes short of a minor in geology and three short of english (go figure).

and the next question-

nope- I'm not teaching. I work in a factory and a convience store. go figure :\

tarchon

First Post
Harmon said:
Just curious- how were you all able to go to college? Did your parents foot the bill, or did you, or was it through loans and such (financal aid).
Mostly a merit scholarship for undergrad (BS Physics & Mathematics, minor Chemistry) and I paid for grad school myself (MS Electrical Engineering, PhD Electrical Engineering). The folks chipped in incidentals here and there; no loans, though now that I know what the rates are like, I'm thinking I should have gotten some and invested more of my money instead. :)

drothgery

First Post
Harmon said:
Just curious- how were you all able to go to college? Did your parents foot the bill, or did you, or was it through loans and such (financal aid).

I went to a private college on financial aid and borrowed money (about 40% grants, 60% loans). Which is a pain to pay back, but college was fun, and I'm doing pretty good for myself now.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Well, right now I have a BS in Biochemistry, from SUNY Binghamton. I currently owe all sorts of money. I want to get a PhD eventually, which most schools will pay for your tuition if you do. Preferably I'd like to go to USC's Keck School of Medicine.

I've really begun thinking I made a huge mistake. I'm seriously thinking about going back to school for a music degree. I was going to minor in music, but conflicts between science and music classes made me choose one or the other. I don't know. Personally I'd rather just run off to Europe and bum around for like half a year, learn to speak a couple of languages very poorly. Experience life.

Yeah, I'm a little unstable right now. :)

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I have a Bachelor of Arts in English, History, and Studies in Religion, with Honours in the latter. I started a Master of Arts by research the year after but burned out.

Remove ads