• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So what do/did you study in college? Did you bother with college?

Zander

Explorer
8 years of college!

BA, psychology, Johns Hopkins U. - graduated in 3 years with "Honors"
MSc, social psychology, London School of Economics
Visiting grad. student, politics and sociology, Jochi U., Japan
PhD, politics & sociology of Britain & Japan, Oxford U.

Just curious- how were you all able to go to college? Did your parents foot the bill, or did you, or was it through loans and such (financal aid).

My father paid for my first 2 years (community college), I got loans for the remaining 3 years (and only have 7 more months to go until they are paid off, 10 years later!) I also worked full time pretty much the entire time I was in college. Not a lot of time left over to spend doing the typical college things like drinking, drugs, sex, hanging out, or gaming. :(

Raging Epistaxis

First Post
Undergrad: 13 credit hours short of BS in Zoology with a minor in Chemistry. I had only one more core curriculum course to take, and had finished my minor, so the last semester was going to be one hard class and the rest for 'fun'. Got accepted to vet school early and didn't feel like finishing the degree and incurring another semester of bills. My parents and I split expenses for undergrad. I worked year round, part time during school and full time in the summer.

Vet School: BS in Veterinary Science and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM). Worked the first three years and got a scholarship, student loans for the rest. Which I just paid off last month!!! :D After 11 years of paying them back. Now just have two more years and my wife's will be paid off as well.

Current gaming group
Myself: (1.83x)BS, DVM
BS, BS, MS, DVM (wife)
BA - anthropology, history?
BS - something computer, now going through grad school for geology
?? but I'm pretty sure she has at least one degree
BA - history/anthropology

Last edited:

The husband and I will be paying for our student loans for much, much longer than 10 or 11 years (ahhh, Geroge Washington University - you're SO expensive!). I envy you for the small amount of time you'll be paying/have payed. *shudders*

Angcuru

First Post
Whatever the situation, it's better than the one my father was in. He was going to Kean University on government financial aid, and 1 semester away from his Bachelor's in Advanced Mathematics, Affirmative Action showed up and lowered the amount of income (increased the amount of need) needed by white males to qualify for financial aid, cutting my dad off. He worked the next 25+ years as a carpenter/general contractor, and messed up his back very badly along the way. Doctors say that if he happens to suddenly bend the wrong way, he'll be paralyzed for life. :mad:

Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
However - filling out your FAFSA is a good start. You may think you're parents make too much, but you'd be surprised what you can get.
It's an odd feeling to be relieved that my father had a negative income in the past year. :\

AIM-54

First Post
Got my BA in International Relations from Boston University (one of the most expensive private schools in the country :uhoh:) and will receive my MA in European and Eurasian Studies from the George Washington University in two weeks :D.

My BA was paid through a combination of parents, scholarships and loans (mostly the latter two), while I'm doing the MA entirely on loans. I'm going to be paying those things back forever, but I have zero regrets. I had a blast in college (as much for the extra-curriculars as anything else; I founded a theater group and was heavily involved in it and the intramural sports program on campus, as well as being an avid college hockey fan) and have enjoyed my classes in graduate school. Nevertheless, I'm happy to be finishing up and look forward to being able to make some money for once.

I figure I have a fairly high likelihood of picking up a PhD at some point in the future (both my parents are PhDs, one in Economics and one in Religion), as it's a good career move, but I don't intend to do it for some time yet.

JamesDJarvis

First Post
I studied Applied Mathematics and Computer Science a long time ago, not "punchcards" a long time ago but "pascal and fortran" a long time ago. The funny thing is I ended up becoming a proffesional artist.

kenobi65

First Post
I'm probably an outlier here: Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Master's degree in Market Research.

Harmon said:
Just curious- how were you all able to go to college? Did your parents foot the bill, or did you, or was it through loans and such (financal aid).

A mix. My parents helped, I worked at a work-study job (student aid you have to work for), I got a couple of small grants, and a small loan from the credit union got me through undergrad. I had a reseach assistantship that covered graduate school. Though, all of this was 20 years ago, when my in-state tuition at the University of Wisconsin was under $1000 a year, so it was a lot more affordable than it is now, even when you take into account inflation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads