So what does everyone think of the new Bladesinger?

Frostmarrow

First Post
Bladesinging is darn cool. However, it will always be a less than optimal choice for those who like to wade and cut swathes through opponents.

Psiblade

First Post
I would play the bladesinger because I like both the abilities and fluff. The abilities work best for someone who wants to add a little spellcasting to their fighting not the other way around. I happen to like lightly armored warrior types who can perform multiple types of actions from tumbling to spellcasting. :)

-Psiblade

ForceUser

Explorer
I played a 3E bladesinger and found her powerful, but not overly so. She certianly didn't outshine the party's fighter. I'm disappointed to hear that they removed the bonus feats - why did they do that?

Aaron L

Hero
ForceUser said:
I played a 3E bladesinger and found her powerful, but not overly so. She certianly didn't outshine the party's fighter. I'm disappointed to hear that they removed the bonus feats - why did they do that?

I was very dissappointed at the loss of bonus feats as well. As it was, the straight fighter always overshadowed my bladesinger, and now he's lost the ability to whirlwind attack.

Stephenls

First Post
I think the new bladesinger quite likely needs better spellcasting to compete on an even footing with the eldrich knight. Instead of advancing at 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th, I'd probably make it 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, and maybe 10th.

Or else it needs the Song of Celerity ability more often. Not at will (what were they thinking?) but perhaps a number of times per day equal to one-half the character's bladesinger levels, rounded down.

As it is, the bladesinger might as well be called the "Why not just play an eldrich knight?"

EDIT: Eldrich knight, not mystic theurge. What was I thinking?

Last edited:

Dark Jezter

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
Bladesinging is darn cool. However, it will always be a less than optimal choice for those who like to wade and cut swathes through opponents.

Heh, before 3e, that wasn't true at all. The 2e AD&D bladesinger was sickeningly overpowered. In fact, I know a few DMs who refused to incorperate anything from The Complete Book of Elves into their campaigns.

Arravis

First Post
Has anyone used Claudio's Battledancer (poster earlier in this thread) in their campaign? I think this might be more of what I'm looking for than the Bladedancer in Complete Warrior...

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I haven't seen it in action but it certainly isn't subpar. Eldrich knight got the boot from my game since it ended up being too good, this one seems a bit weaker but not by much.

that extra attack is incredibly good. 1 extra attack at the highest bab at -2 to hit, but you get your full str in all attacks, and you only have to worry about imporving 1 weapon. That be really nice, on a look at me I'm just one bad assed fighter prestige class that would be a high light ability.

Lack of feats sucks, but casting in light armor rocks. The ac bonus compensates for the no shield thing which I hope they kept.

1 quickened spell per day is useful but not amazing.

take 10 on concentration rocks, it removes the posibility of failure when casitng in mellee.

And 5 caster levels isn't much for spellcasting but if you focused on fighting its a lot better than a paladin or ranger will be, with an almost as good fighting ability if not better.(of course I think the pali sucks so not sure that means much)

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Regarding the new bladesinger, do you still have to be based around the concept of a one handed weapon duelist, or can you use something like a two-bladed sword?

Anybody seen a good two-bladed sword using mini?

Remove ads