• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Solo Adventure (See inside for rambling details)

Land Outcast

Explorer
1st: thanks for the suggestions

2nd:

Why not take a level in ranger?
The Ranger abilities (track, favored enemy, wild empathy) would see little or no use from the character... Also, there's the fact that skillpoint progression wouldn't be conserved (as soon as I take a Fighter or whatelse level, I'll have to pay 2 skillpoints per rank).

Thug said:
Add the following skills to the fighter's class skill list: Bluff, Gather Information, Knowledge (local), and Sleight of Hand. The thug gains skill points per level equal to 4 + Int modifier (and has this number x4 at 1st level).

Well, that's directed towards a more socially-active character than my concept (Gather Information, Knowledge (local), and Sleight of Hand don't quite fit... at all). As it is, I wouldn't have use for 6 skillpoints per level (well, of course I could use the 6 skillpoints, but I prefer taking Open Minded or a similar Skillpoint-granting feat if I want more skills).
If instead it granted Bluff, Heal, Hide, Move Silently, and Survival, (and didn't take away the shield proficiency, 'cause I'm bored of playing and seeing Two-Handers) then I'm sold.

In short: I'd like the last proposal (underlined) to be considered.

Note that I'm not grabbing the Ex-Paladin Level to get the Armor proficiencies I'd lose. The idea is that my character didn't even get to complete his training, turned away from paladinhood, and continued on as mercenary (totally disillusioned with Solamnic ideals) to then become an "errant knight in hiding" (rediscovering some worth in the objectives of the original Solamnic ideals, if not in their means to achieve these).

-----------
Why not taking a Breastplate simply?
2 reasons:
number 1: costs 200gp, my character would have sold it in lieu of other equipment
number 2: reduces speed to 20 feet. He doesn't want to go around evidencing he's in armor, and sometimes it's time to run.

If it was a convenience choice I'd grab a Chainshirt for 100gp.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
If you want to do major change to a class, I think you should more speak with Lord Raven.... or maybe you can look at the Scout and do half figther, half Scout...

For the armor, considering that a breastplate is a breastplate and it is bulky by nature, making it a light armor doens't seems to make sense to me. After all, as you explain it, it was once part of a full plate mail, and a full plate mail is not reknown for his mobility.

Land Outcast

Explorer
If you want to do major change to a class, I think you should more speak with Lord Raven....
Of course, I'll wait for his imput :)

For the armor, considering that a breastplate is a breastplate and it is bulky by nature, making it a light armor doens't seems to make sense to me. After all, as you explain it, it was once part of a full plate mail, and a full plate mail is not reknown for his mobility.
Yep, makes sense. Perhaps I'll just go for a simple Chainsirt then (wouldn't make much sense to have survived with a Solamnic Breat Plate, would it?).

Lord_Raven88

First Post
I'm happy to treat all skills as class skills, as long as you can reasonable justify it, it's fine by me. You still only get the normal number of skills points for your classes

Also with equipment don't worry too much about starting 'steel' and all that, just choose what items you want and could reasonable expect to have. And give yourself a few steel pieces to play with.

However no magic items! like Velmont has suggested I'll look at giving you each something special. So select something that has been passed down to you, or something you found and I'll work something special up for you.

Also I'm thinking about starting this about 25 years after the Cataclysm so lets put the year at AC 26.

Land Outcast: Feel free to have Breastplate, but bear in mind Solamanic Breastplate is very 'noticable'. Also There are no Paladins in Krynn as the Knights (which are Prestige Classes) take there place.

Kaodi: I like your background, however part of this campaign is going to be about the rise of the 'Seeker' movement :] which ties in nicely with the Female Wizard who is hunting for Velmonts character. Obviously I'm not going to be going by canon for this, so expect a few twists.

Below are details for a 3rd level Mystic.

d8 HD, BAB +2, F+3 R+1 W+3. 1 Domain.
Spells: Wisdom for spells.
Spells per day: 6 - 0th, 5 - 1st. (Plus bonus spells due to wisdom)
Spells Known: 5 - oth, 3+d - 1st. (Like Sorcerers)

Land Outcast

Explorer
Ok, balancing options and comments, then...

Race & Class: Human Fighter 3
Attributes: Str16/Dex14/Con14/Int13/Wis10/Cha10
WP: 14
VP: 22
Starting money: 240 steel pieces

AC 16 (+2 Dex, +4 Chainshirt)

Equipment:
Shield [?]
Chainshrt
Longsword
Dagger (x2)
--------------------------
I'll decide about the shield and see to adventuring gear... later

Feats:
1>Improved Initiative
1>Combat Expertise
1>Improved Disarm
2>
3>

Skills:
Bluff (6 ranks)
Hide (6 ranks, +2 Dex)
Move Silently (6 ranks, +2 Dex)
Survival (6 ranks)

Velmont

First Post
Kaodi said:
Skills are 2 + Int / Level I assume for Mystic, and choice of spells are otherwise from Cleric list?

Yes. Class skill are: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (Arcana, Nature or Religion), profession, Spellcraft

Choose spells from the general spell list of cleric. You choose one domain, you know automatically the spell of that domain. You also gain the domain special abilty. Sun domain give turn undead, not greater turning, as Mystic doesn't turn undead naturally. There's also new domain: Alteration, Community, Forge, Insight, Liberation, Meditation, Mentalism, Necromancy, Passion, Pestilence, Restoration, Storm, Treachery.

Also, just a note like that, Mystic are known to be existing during Age of Dreams and Age of Mortals, so there could ahve been some in others ages...

Kaodi

Hero
OK...

Human Mystic 3, Chaotic Neutral (w/good tendancies)
Str 13 Dex 14 Con 12 Int 14 Wis 15 Cha 11
WP 12 VP 21
Feats: Endurance, Silent Spell, Still Spell
Skills: Concentration 5 ranks, Heal 1 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 4 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 2 ranks, Listen 2 ranks, Spot 2 ranks, Hide 3 ranks, Move Silently 3 ranks, Bluff 3 ranks, Sense Motive 1 ranks, Survival 4 ranks
Spells Known (Plant Domain)
0 - create water, detect magic, light, guidance, mending
1 - cure light wounds, endure elements, obscuring mist + entangle

Not sure what I would do for equipment yet. Probably just leather armour, with a quarterstaff or spear and a shortbow if Mystics are proficient in their use, as well as a dagger. Other than that, just normal gear I guess.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Still some detail to complete...

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Eton Grizt
[B]Class:[/B] Warlock
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Chaotic Good
[B]Deity:[/B] None

[B]Str:[/B] 12 +1 ( 4p.)     [B]Level:[/B] 3        [B]XP:[/B] 3000
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 +2 ( 6p.)     [B]BAB:[/B] +2         [B]WP:[/B] 14 
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 ( 6p.)     [B]Grapple:[/B] +3     [B]VP:[/B] 20 (3d6+6)
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2 ( 6p.)     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Dmg Red:[/B] 1/Cold Iron
[B]Wis:[/B]  8 -1 ( 0p.)     [B]Init:[/B] +2        [B]Spell Res:[/B] N/A
[B]Cha:[/B] 16 +3 (10p.)     [B]ACP:[/B] -2         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] 0%

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +4    +0    +2    +0    +0    +0    16
[B]Touch:[/B] 12              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 14

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      1    +2          +3
[B]Ref:[/B]                       1    +2          +3
[B]Will:[/B]                      3    -1          +2

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Eldritch Blast            +4     2d6           20x2
Dagger                    +3     1d4+1      19-20x2
Crossbow, Light        +4     1d8        19-20x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Solamnic, Ergothian

[B]Abilities:[/B]
Invocation (Least)
Damage Reduction: 1/Cold Iron
Detect Magic

[B]Invocation(LE/DC)[/B]
Eldritch Blast [2d6] (1st/14)
Beguiling Influence (2nd/15)
Entropic Warding (2nd/15)

[B]Feats:[/B]
HuB: Skill Focus (Use Magic Device)
1st: Point Blank Shot
3rd: Precise Shot

[B]Skill Points:[/B]        [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 6/3
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Bluff                      6    +3          + 9(+15)*
Concentration              4    +2          + 6
Diplomacy                  0    +3    +4    + 7(+13)*
Disguise                   4    +3          + 7
Intimidation               4    +3    +6    + 7(+13)*
Sense Motive               6    -1          + 5
Use Magic Device           6    +3    +3    +12
*If Beguiling Influence is up.

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Traveler's Outfit		   5.0

Chain Shirt			  25.0

Dagger				   1.0
Crossbow, light			   4.0
 Bolt x20			   2.0

Backpack			   2.0
 Blanket			   3.0

Pouch				   0.5
 Flint and Steel		    -

[B]Total Weight:[/B]42.5lb      [B]Money:[/B] 2steel 3silver 12copper

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                43    86   130   260   650

[B]Age:[/B] 25
[B]Height:[/B] 5'7"
[B]Weight:[/B] 147lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Blue
[B]Hair:[/B] Black
[B]Skin:[/B] Tan
Appearance: XXXX

Background:
The Cataclysm have left ruins, poverty and suspicion everywhere. The gods have turned on us. All that have been standing in the light is now in the shadow. Knight of Solamnia are hunted like bandits. Priest are seen as charlatan since no true cleric have been seen since the Cataclysm. Anyway, they have done nothing to prevent it either. Ansalon is trying to rebuild, but great glory of Istar is at the bottom of the blood sea. but all these problem go over my head, I don't care much, I have enough of my own.

A wizard is hunting me. I'm an heretic worst than the seeker, worst than the knights to him. I wield magic and I'm not a member of the tower. To them, there is only one way to wield magic, it is by being a member of there order. And in this dark age, there is just no one to oppose them. So my fate it is to flee them. If there was less trouble, I could just stop to use my powers, but I've stop to count the number of time I would haev died if I didn't had them.

My powers... I wield magic, but I don't know where it come from. It is not from a book, I can barely read. I'm not even sure I draw it from the two moons... or is it three? The third moon is said to be seen only by the black robe wizard. My powers, they always have been with me, as far as I remember, but even there, I don't remember much of my childhood. It seems my memory are fading away. It must be the age. I was an orphan as long as I can remember. I have been wandering the streets of Palanthas. I was mainly begging. but one day, I use my power in a deseperate attempt to get rid of a few thugs who wanted the few steel I had. Just in front of a magical shop. That was clumsy, but that was survival. The wizard who was coming in saw me. I heard he was seeking me in the following days. I had my contacts, and it was clear he didn't wanted me good, so I decided to left Palanthas. It's been now five years I am wandering Ansalon. I've heard twice during that time the wizard was still seeking me. Moving around is my bets defence for now.

But during travels, you make some strange meeting. My travel companions are rare, but two of them have stick with me... or it me who stick with them. Wathever. At least, they won't bring me to the order of high sorcery, and if they are suspicious about my power, they havn't told it yet.

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Eric... had a surname, long ago
[B]Class:[/B] Fighter 3
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Neutral Good
[B]Deity:[/B] None

[B]Str:[/B]  16 +3             [B]Level:[/B] 3        [B]XP:[/B] 3000
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 +2            [B]BAB:[/B] +3         [B]WP:[/B] 14 
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2            [B]Grapple:[/B] +6     [B]VP:[/B] 22 (3d10+6)
[B]Int:[/B] 13 +1            [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Dmg Red:[/B] N/A
[B]Wis:[/B] 10 +0            [B]Init:[/B] +2        [B]Spell Res:[/B] N/A
[B]Cha:[/B] 10 +0            [B]ACP:[/B] -1         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] -

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +4    +1    +2    +X    +X    +X    17
[B]Touch:[/B] 12              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 16

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      3    +2          +5
[B]Ref:[/B]                       1    +2          +3
[B]Will:[/B]                      1    +0          +1

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Mwk Longsword              +7     1d8 +3     19-20/x2
Dagger                    +6     1d4 +3     19-20/x2
Dagger (thrown)           +5     1d4 +3     19-20/x2
XXXX                      +X     XdXX+X     XX-XXxX

[B]Languages:[/B] XXXX

[B]Abilities:[/B]

[B]Feats:[/B]
HuB: Improved Initiative
1st: Combat Expertise
1st: Improved Disarm
2nd: ???
3rd: ???

[B]Skill Points:[/B]        [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 6/3
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Bluff                      6    +0    +0      + 6
Hide                       6    +2    +0      + 8
Move Silently              6    +2    +0      + 8
Survival                   6    +0    +0      + 8

[B]Equipment:[/B]
Mwk Longsword
Light Wooden Shield
Chain Shirt
Dagger (x4)
-
Backpack
Bedroll
Flint & Steel
Hempen Rope (50 ft)
Grappling Hook
Paper
Quill & ink
Torch
Shovel

[B]Total Weight:[/B]XXlb      [B]Money:[/B] XXgp XXsp XXcp

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               XXX   XXX   XXX   XXX   XXX

[B]Age:[/B] 35
[B]Height:[/B] 5'9"
[B]Weight:[/B] 160lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Green
[B]Hair:[/B] Black
Appearance: XXXX

Background:
Raised in a solamnic family, a young man about to become a squire, but five years after the Cataclysm, the consequences of the great calamity stepped between him and knighthood, also changing his view of the world, including a love/hate of Solamnic Knights and Solamnia.

Father murdered by peasant uprising... mother whereabouts unknown.

Scion of a Solamnic family, think someone who was convinced that what the knights strived for could be reached through other means than the Oath And The Measure... but still holds a place within his heart for Est Solarus Oth Mithas.

My character didn't even get to complete his training, and continued on as mercenary (totally disillusioned with Solamnic ideals).

A mature man already thinking in possible retirement, but something awoke him (or led him into a dream), a show of mercy in a battle. For fifteen years all he had seen was brutal slaugther. After his band crushed the opposition, he abandoned the battlefield leaving it to the scavengers.

Now, five years past, he has rediscovered some worth in the objectives of the original Solamnic ideals, if not in their means to achieve these. He has become an "errant knight in hiding" and was able to survive the last half deacade while acting against those who wield a scourge against people, be it the scourge of war or that of faith.

---------------------------
---------------------------

Any suggestions for a nimble sword-and-boarder?

Last edited:

Remove ads