• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some ideas for an "open" cosmology?

Information

First Post
Previously, my cosmology had been "closed", to use a term furnished by the great one, Upper_Krust. With the acquisition of Deities and Demigods, I want to use all of the non-Greyhawk deities in the book within my own cosmology.

What I want to do is have the Olympic, Pharoanic, and Asgardian deities all grouped on three separate planes.

What should I call each plane? The Olympian Realms, the Pharoanic Realms, and the Asgardian Realms? Or should I take planes (such as Arborea, Hades, Ysgard, etc.) from the Manual of the Planes and simply graft them onto my cosmology?

I don't want to have more than one plane per pantheon... I could take layers of various planes in the MotP and make them newly formed planes...?

Any suggestions?

Crothian

First Post
You might just want to have didfferent people call it different things. While most commoners refer to the home of the Olympians as simply the Olympic Realm, the scholars know its true name is Aborea. Or you could just have their realm be called Mount Olympus.

Hi Information mate! :)

Glad your enjoying D&Dg! Hopefully by the time I have digested Call of Cthulhu (which arrived on my doorstep this morning! :D ); D&Dg will be mine!

Information said:
Previously, my cosmology had been "closed",

Each to their own I suppose!

Information said:
to use a term furnished by the great one, Upper_Krust.

High praise indeed...but I think I can live with it! :D

Information said:
With the acquisition of Deities and Demigods, I want to use all of the non-Greyhawk deities in the book within my own cosmology.

What I want to do is have the Olympic, Pharoanic, and Asgardian deities all grouped on three separate planes.

Why stop there, have an open cosmology...okay, okay, I 'm getting ahead of myself! ;)

Information said:
What should I call each...

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THEIR NAME IS!* :D

*In the guise of the Rock - incase someone thinks I'm laying the smackdown! ;)

Okay, enough wrestling inspired quips (couldn't resist, sorry).

Information said:
...plane? The Olympian Realms, the Pharoanic Realms, and the Asgardian Realms? Or should I take planes (such as Arborea, Hades, Ysgard, etc.) from the Manual of the Planes and simply graft them onto my cosmology?

I don't want to have more than one plane per pantheon... I could take layers of various planes in the MotP and make them newly formed planes...?

Any suggestions?

Well, you could set the whole thing within one Triplanar Mythological Envelope. Have the planes 'bleed' into each other, like the elemental planes.

Doesn't Asgard itself comprise of three planes (off the top of my head Asgard; Jotunheim and Muspelheim)

Assign Muspelheim to the Pharoanic Pantheon, emphasising the baking sunlight, scorched desert conditions.

Assign Jotunheim to the Olypian Pantheon, emphasising the rugged hills and mountains that were the former domain of the Titans.

At least that would be one way (off the top of my head) to bring them into close proximity, relatively speaking.

I suppose you could always incorporate the Asgardian 'Nine Worlds' cosmology and have the pantheons vie for control on each strata!?

ax0n

First Post
[PR] Netbook of Planes Anyone?

For those of you interested, the Netbook of Planes is developing an open cosmology. In fact, we're developing several open cosmologies. We're always looking for contributors to help out so if you have any ideas please send them in.

Information

First Post
Re: Re: Some ideas for an "open" cosmology?

Upper_Krust said:
Hi Information mate! :)

Well, you could set the whole thing within one Triplanar Mythological Envelope. Have the planes 'bleed' into each other, like the elemental planes.

Well, what I have in mind is one plane per pantheon, in addition to the 20+ planes I have already (!). I know Forgotten Realms has a single plane for the Pharaonic pantheon (Heliopolis?). Something like that.

In my campaign, Krusty, names ARE important... ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads