Some Ideas, if you please.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Another good idea! I don't think it'll use the PCs, especially given the spell power requirement. However, a few select powered wights or bodaks appearing as none other than the cleric's kidnapped (and now half-animus) father and brother....that would be nice and EVIL.

And I've got a new idea for a kind of undead that I'll stat out today, which will actually be on the good guy's side (courtesy of the Temple of Wee Jas), called a Tatterdamelion (essentially, imagine a creature like a flesh golem who is possessed by different ghosts, who shape change the body and it's abilities to echo their forms in life, depending on who is in dominance of the form).

I'm really looking forward to tonight. This will be the first time I've hit the party with threat upon threat at these kind of power-levels.

Rackhir

Explorer
Well, I haven't been following the campaign, but I don't think they've ever faced an archer. You could say hit them with one, perhaps riding on a griffon (perhaps an advanced feindish anarcic one) orbiting the city and raining arrows on them. You could probably dig one up in the rogues gallery somewhere and just tack on some DWS levels.... :D

It worked for Piratecat.

Some Xill would probably work well for harrasing the rogue planewalk and tumble should give her a taste of her own medicine.

Some advanced Umber Hulks could be interesting given the mage's tendancies.

Tendriculos are a nice plant monster that could easily be "Gulthiaized" and still has some nice different abilities.

A swarm of stirges is good for making even high level characters lives difficult. Since they have a touch attack and str drain.

There is always the classic purple worm for the underground assault.

Imp Invisible Medusa's make for an interesting challenge.

Mind Flayers work well with undead since they are immune to their Psionic Blasts.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Heh, I was wondering when you'd chime in. Oh, I have plans for some hot archer-on-archer action. :D

The stirges are perfect for this, though, especially if I add some acidic tendencies.

I can tell you haven't been following the campaign, if you think Scorch isn't totally about hiding. :) He's in mirror imaged, shielded, mage armored Grick from almost 24/7. Still got killed, though. Good ol' Finger of Death.

Mind you, I've been meaning to tap your brain for some deviltry. Black Archer type deviltry. :D

Rackhir

Explorer
Well, I was actually thinking more about his tendancy to use the Umber Hulk form. It might cause some confusion with the other players if they see "Scorch" popping out of the ground.

You have my email if you want some more help.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

Well, it's over. Quite a battle, indeed. Took most of the night, and featured tons of beasties, and the SSoM throwing everything they had at it, and laying down a whole new level of smack.

Some amazing events occured. Look for a full report, if you're interested, in the story hour on Monday.

Thanks, again. :)

That is one tough party you are DM to there.

If I may ask, what size Bulettes did you end up using? I expected Aethramyr would do a good job against them, but they seemed in the story to be little more than speed bumps. Not that I'm disappointed or anything - I'm glad the suggestion proved useful - I was simply surprised at their inability to hit, and therefore be much of a threat.

That Paladin, here sure does need a'killin, doesn't he?

I liked the way you sowed panic with the modified gutpuppets, and those Evil Acidic Cubes were both effective and a bit disturbing. Strange creatures indeed.

WizarDru

Adventurer
SpaceBaby Industries said:
That is one tough party you are DM to there.

If I may ask, what size Bulettes did you end up using? I expected Aethramyr would do a good job against them, but they seemed in the story to be little more than speed bumps. Not that I'm disappointed or anything - I'm glad the suggestion proved useful - I was simply surprised at their inability to hit, and therefore be much of a threat.

That Paladin, here sure does need a'killin, doesn't he?

I liked the way you sowed panic with the modified gutpuppets, and those Evil Acidic Cubes were both effective and a bit disturbing. Strange creatures indeed.

Gracias. And thanks to all who contributed. It was a hell of a battle, and not one soon forgotten. There were some simply brilliant moments, there.

For those who are curious about what happened and how it played out, you can read all about it here, in the latest Story Hour entry.

The bullettes were half-acidic elementally templated and advanced to 16 HD, as I wanted them to remain Huge, not any larger. Their problem wasn't so much that they couldn't hit, as they never got a chance to, really. That one bullette was only one of two hits scored during the battle, as the Meepites tossed things down with reckless abandon. Aethramyr nearly got gored....but he had Expertise going at +5, and they just missed, even when doing a leap at +13. The other one managed to resist a Dominate from Scorch (Natural 20!), but not a Hold Monster. The other just got hit with Destruction, and that was that.

Valanthe's 11th-hour Shadowblast wreaked havoc with my plans. A 3-front battle suddenly became a 2-front battle, and two of the heaviest hitters, the shadow beasts, were reduced to gibbering tentacle masses just hanging in the air while the battle proceeded. Mind you, I was more than happy to let it happen. It's always great when someone does something like that.

And yes, that Paladin needs killin', bad.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Are you one of my players?

GO AWAY! AMSCRAY!

Really, leave the thread.

You know better.
Go! Go! Go!
Mine! Mine! Mine!
I'M RICH! I'M A HAPPY MISER!

Phew.

Now that they're gone, let's talk. You guys helped me out big time with my last big challenge, so I'm going to do it, again. Only this time, it's not monsters I'm after, per se.

In a nutshell, here's what I'm looking for: my own Personal Tomb of Horrors. I don't want overt lethality, though...but I do want crazy-mad dungeoneering, to push their limits, somewhat.

Here's the sitch and a little background:

The players will soon be travelling (in whole or part), to the Crypt of the Shadow-Taker. The Shadow-Taker is a terribly powerful Lich who has present when the Bakluni called down the Invoked Devastation on the Suel Empire. In point of fact, he was partly responsible for egging them on to do it. He's a Big Bad Evil Guy that's been responsible for thing that have been happening to the players for almost two years now, though they didn't know it. He's worked through so many agents, he's never had a direct hand in it, but he's been there.

Long story short: The ST is a servant of the Shadow King, a Bigger BBEG. ST has built himself his place of power on top of a powerful holy spot to the followers of Pelor, known as Pelor's Pyre. He is also responsible for cursing some NPCs that the party is friendly with, which will be two of the reasons the party will be coming to kick his ass in.

His crypts are meant to be very, very easy in the beginning, ramp up a little harder for a few moments, and then go from zero to deadly in a matter of moments. In fact, I want the whole first level to be easy, with one hideous death-trap smack-dab in the middle of it, to throw the players out of their element. Then ramp up the challenge to salsa spicy, and leave the final battles like Scotch Bonnets on the tongue.

I'm looking at this to be sort of a book-end to the Sunless Citadel, so to speak.

So where do you come in? You may have guessed. I need high-level dungeon bad karma. I want devilish death-traps, cool set pieces and things to make the party nervous and intimidated. I want evil fungus, crushing walls and undead attacks. I want underdark floods, and ways to make metagaming roll over and beg for mercy. I want to give my players a roller-coaster ride, and I know some of you folks are virtual fonts of ideas.

Concepts of importance:

1. The Crypts (similar to the forge of fury) are in separate but connected multiple locations...they can and will have differing looks and feels. They will be deep underground and recall a good deal of travel to traverse.

2. The Shadow-Taker is smart and paranoid. His achilles heel is the Pyre of Pelor. He draws power from it, but it needs to give him some sort of blind spot. I haven't determined exactly how, yet. He has distanced himself from direct action, and entrenched himself deep in the earth in his underdark crypts, waiting until he's all but forgotten by the living to really start mucking about with people.

3. I want to generate challenges for ALL party members. Devilish traps, undead, floods of weaker creatures, obstacles requiring creative thinking (and casting), a few uber-beasts, and things to creep the party out and/or amuse them (be they fungal paladins or fake umbral-blots).

4. Advice on handling some of the high-level powers is certainly appreciated. What I don't want to do, however, is short-change anyone. I don't want blatantly obvious anti-archer or anti-mage tricks, I want things that will inconvience the same though. If the players completely disable things, GOOD. For those who follow my story-hour, I was happy when they defeated a WinterWight, and so were they, I think. I don't fudge rolls, and I don't want to cheat the players by thinking I was playing it soft. But with that trust is the expectation that I'll play fair, too. An anti-magic trap is great, but an anti-magic dungeon is NOT.

So Bring it on! Tell me what you've got. WizarDru's ENWorld Idea Buffet is now open!

Kugar

First Post
I had a nasty trap using a 50 HD ooze I could dig up.
You're in Malvern? That's not that far at all. I have some Grimtooth books including the Dungeon of Doom which has NASTY traps. E-mail me if you are interested in borrowing them.

Kugar

WizarDru

Adventurer
Kugar said:
I had a nasty trap using a 50 HD ooze I could dig up.
You're in Malvern? That's not that far at all. I have some Grimtooth books including the Dungeon of Doom which has NASTY traps. E-mail me if you are interested in borrowing them.

Kugar

Truthfully, I'm in Frazer, but the post office tends to disagree. Exton, heck, you're just down the Swedesford from me. :)

That sounds like I could make use of that. I just don't want to throw another Gelatinous Cube at 'em. The main reason I'm hesitant to use another ooze is I *ahem* "borrowed" Piratecat's evil Ooze, Sluuth. Don't want to overplay that card...on the other hand, I haven't used a pudding or mold since Forge of Fury, and that's good eatin.

Remove ads