Some Ideas, if you please.

mypetrock

First Post
Another idea: What if instead of suppressing magic, the bestiary absorbs it and sends it back like spellfire from FR? The sanctum would almost seem to be an antimagic zone, but then ZAP! it isn't quite.

mypetrock

WizarDru

Adventurer
I should probably clarify what the bestiary IS, to give a better idea of what it might be. For a long time now, the ShadowTaker has been, well...taking people. The Taken, essentially, are people he or his agents capture....and then he uses in one of two different ways:
  • As dominated agents
  • As meat-puppets
I mentioned before that he hadn't left his crypts PHYSICALLY for centuries....that doesn't mean he hasn't journeyed beyond their walls. He just doesn't use his own body to do it. The central part of the bestiary is...well, his 'body closet'.

Those who've followed the Story Hour will be familiar with the Tebhar'in ("those who cannot be wed"), better known as Zira bint Tebara and Zara bin Tebara. They are the exception to the rule of the closet, directly tied to the operation of the Pyre, which actually protected them and caused an unexpected result (which led to their freedom, though they don't actually know it).

The Shadow-Taker has perverted the power of the Pyre indirectly, by using it to create this 'body closet', which is essentially a 'bubble' demi-plane that is coterminous with the plane of positive energy. The bodies are stored there in stasis, until he calls for them, and imbues them with his persona, or dominates them and then sends them on a mission.

I fully expect the Bestiary to have holding pens for nasties, too, of course: nasties that are designed to be released when intruders come 'a callin'.

The Forge and the Furnace, I haven't developed, quite as much. I'm trying to avoid using fire and flame elements, as I've pretty much used them as much as I care to, what with Durance Vile, the plane of Fire, City of Brass and remaining Red Dragons. That's enough fire for anyone. :D

I'll have to read up on Spellfire in the FRCS. It's one of those things I've never actually paid much attention to, but this could definitely hold some possibilites, too. I really want to try and keep the players off of their guard, as much as possible. Every different Crypt should change the rules, so that they have to constantly adapt.

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
Well, tomorrow night is the first installment of the Crypt of the ShadowTaker that will actually find the heroes in the actual dungeon. I've got several things planned, and some of the foul traps listed here are sure to make an appearance.

First villains to appear will be some classed Greater Barghests (such as GB Rog 12, a GB RG2/ShdDcr7, a Psion 12 GB, a Fighter 12 GB, and two more) collectively referred to as the Bargainers.

Here's another challenge for the group:

Bzzzt; Behir/Air Elemental: CR 12?; Size G; HD 27d10+243; hp 399; Init +1; Spd 40 ft, climb 15 ft, fly 100 ft.; AC 21 (10 Touch); BAB +25; Atk: +43 melee (2d6 + 14, Bite), +26/+26/+26/+26/+26 melee (1d6 + 12, Claws); SA Air Mastery, Breath weapon, improved grab, swallow whole, constrict 2d12+14; SQ Electricity immunity, Poison Immunity, Sleep Immunity, Paralysis Immunity, Not subject to critical hits, Darkvision 60', DR 10/+1, scent, can’t be tripped; AL N; SV Fort +20, Ref +21, Will +11; Str 34, Dex 20, Con 25, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 12.
Languages spoken: Common
Skills and Feats: Climb +18, Hide +5, Spot +7; Cleave, Power Attack, Breath Weapon, Constrict, Improved Grab, Scent, Swallow Whole, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Blind-Fight, Flyby Attack.

Does this look correct to you? I have no idea about the CR. It's a base CR 8 creature, advanced from 9HD to 27HD, then with the air elemental template from Dragon 307 applied to it. Theoretically, that makes it...umm, CR 12? Is this right? If so, how to make it nastier? If not, what is the accurate CR for it? Ideas?

Last edited:

mypetrock

First Post
Furnace

I'm not sure if you are still needing ideas for the Forge and the Furnace.

For the Forge, you should colocate it in a lawfully aligned plane and fill it with constructs. Use Blade Golems (LotIF), Iron Golems, Stone Golems, Steel Predators, and some of the new Golems from FF and MMII. Use the Axiomatic template to spice up your creations. Add in a formian colony for fun. Play up the banging and clanging of a Forge to the point where the sounds become a sonic attack. The heat in this case should be a dry, parching heat that gradually saps the characters strength. All metal should be effected by a continuous heat metal spell. And every once in a while a player who touches metal causes a massive static electric shock to go off.

The Furnace should avoid open flames in exchange for sudden bursts of steam. I'm picturing the furnace on a somewhat-chaotic plane - something like Brazil (the movie, not the country). The denizens of the plane are a mix of water and fire creatures - steam mephits, air elementals with a heat attack in addition to their slam, and scalding water elementals. The presence of heat here is a humid, dripping, oppressive heat. Plus you might be able to annoy your players by telling Kayleigh and Valanthe that their hair is frizzed up to epic proportions. After all this is an epic level adventure.

mypetrock

Remove ads