• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some interesting news about 4th edition

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Just like some people who say, the sky is falling, I have a bridge to sell...etc, etc.

And since I tried to be neutral on this suppose idea...I have to say something now.

The CARD IDEA is plain loonely...

That is all.

RangerWickett said:
Holy crap. How can people be taking seriously the idea that WotC would integrate the two games?

However, as a thought experiment, let us consider what that could entail.

1. Every year, Magic releases a new series of three expansions, called a Block. Each year, the new block is in a new setting, often a setting that is lavishly created and beautifully realized in art and flavor text, much of it handled implicitly so that the gamer's imagination takes over. One possibility is that every year D&D will release a new setting book based on the new block setting for magic, complete with adventures and add-on mini-books.

These campaign settings aren't designed for the long haul. They'll each just last a year, and then the game will move on, developing into something new. Using a planes-hopping model, though, it will be possible to integrate the different settings.

This, I feel, is a [smallcaps]Good Idea[/smallcaps]tm.

2. Some manner of randomization in the rulebooks. Perhaps you could have the core rules, and then books thereafter would have a random set of material.

This, despite my joking of it in the review of D20 College Life, is a stupid idea.

Warbringer

Explorer
Maybe this is being looked at the worng way.

Perhaps 4e is about a CCG supported by minis with a DM providing a storline behind it? The cards collected are usable just in a MTG setting, or combined with minis (based on card design) allows for a roleplay based game.

4e may be a crossover product that replaces neither D+D nor MTG but simply is a new game drawing on these elements. If anything, it would be an extension of the minis game.

Personally, I don't believe the OP, but I do enjoy the discussion that follows, sans the "that's stupid" arguments.

FickleGM

Explorer
So, this thread has taken its turns, hasn't it?

From some whacky kid trolling the boards (an assumption, not fact), to some members "forum slapping" him down, to semi-justification/acceptance of original poster by other members and back to the "forum slapping" with a mix of acceptance.

Even the tiniest (and most redundant) seed can grow into a tree... ;)

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Interesting soap opera, isn't it?

FickleGM said:
So, this thread has taken its turns, hasn't it?

From some whacky kid trolling the boards (an assumption, not fact), to some members "forum slapping" him down, to semi-justification/acceptance of original poster by other members and back to the "forum slapping" with a mix of acceptance.

Even the tiniest (and most redundant) seed can grow into a tree... ;)

Mystery Man

First Post
Rasyr said:
Just because you think it is a stupid idea, does not mean somebody else disagrees with you...

To use another double negative, I don't disagree with Mercule. I don't think he's not right on target either!

Xereq

First Post
The intergration of MTG planes, races, Magic mechanics, prestige classes, core classes etc could be very good for the game
It would bring the people who collect magic for the flava' into the realm of dungeons and dragons, and mabe get some DnD people interested in MTG
Overall I think that inclusion of ideas would be great, though i agree that random boosters of feats would be annoying.

I Play the trap feat EXPERTISE!!!11!!1! which allows me to increace my AC makeing your puny attack USELESS!!! Now i play POWER WORD KILL OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!!1one!!!1!

That said i do think that a boxed set of cards as game aids would be a good idea, stacking enhancements and condition cards for quick reference would speed up play, and thats what 3.5 is all about
It stands to reason that 4.0 will be faster still and that more game aids will become avialable
What i want to know is will base attack bonuses and hit points be dumbed down to magic Power/toughness Values?
will ability scores atrophy and finaly just become modifiers, as they are becoming less and less important?
Magic items are also becoming less fanciful and more power-gamerish giving a mod to this save or a bonus to ac/skill or dealing = xd6 more damage.
What dirrection is the game taking

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Herremann the Wise said:
Hmmm...
I don't believe this for a minute - checks date [it's the first of November, not April].

I used that one on our board one April 1st. Back then, people actually believed it and within a couple of hours, there was a big outcry going on. After I revealed that it was a hoax, people hated me :D

twofalls said:
Now, WoTC could unite 4th ed with Mr. Magoo cartoons and Barney Dolls and I'm not sure I would care less. Wasn't D&D made into a card game once already? Wasn't it called Spellfire? Didn't it die a quiet death?

Yes, there was a D&D card game, and I don't know what happened to it, other that they stomped it long before 3e was released.

Now, there is a collectible D&D game -> Dungeons and Dragons miniatures. Again, it's not a roleplaying game but a miniatures "war game", and though the figures can be used with D&D, they are not necessary.

They will never integrate any collectibility into the core rules of D&D. It just doesn't work (at least, it can't work while still remaining a role-playing game).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads