• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some interesting news about 4th edition

Kae'Yoss

First Post
And about "sources". You cannot really believe any source that is not directly responsible about the stuff they're talking about.

I know someone (not very well) who knows some guys from the RPG scene (mainly people from TSR/Wizards), and even he was wrong when he told me that after the old WoD has gone down, they're going to do WoD20.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Sample game:

Take the 3.5 PHB and cut out the Skill, Feat, and Spells section leaving a booklet of Stats, Classes, and Combat Resolution (moving several manuevers to cards as well).

Take the 3.5 DMG and cut out the PrC, NPC, and Magic item section.

Combine to form - Rule Book 4.0

The Feats, core spells, Skills, core magic items, and special manuevers (and maybe a card called Adventurer Gear) become a standard non-collectible set of Player Cards 4.0.

The Player's Kit is the Rule Book 4.0 plus a 200 card set (4.0).

The Monster Set is the MM 3.5 on 3x5, or 4x6 cards plus archetype NPCs -- non-collectible.

Expansions add to Player decks. Monster Expansions are like FF, MMII, MMIII, MM IV etc.

Your character sheet consists of Stats, HP, and Class/Levels. Your class and level determine what cards can be in your deck.

For example, casters have primarily spells in their deck (up to the standard x/day limit) while skill and feat characters have ability uses. The rest is filled in with magic items or for gear types - mundane gear bonuses.

At any given time, you have a hand of abilities from your deck that grows with levels (say Level/2+2) between 2 and 12. This speeds play by limiting your choices to what's in your hand.

The monsters have a set hand printed in their card.

Maximum deck size is 60 and is refreshed when you 'rest' for the day.

Spells and other 1/day items are discarded after use but everything else gets put back in the deck.

At level 1 you could run a deck of 2. Game play basically follows current move and action play but combined with the cards.

Expansions might add uncommon or rare cards but the appeal would be the standard common set. Players would trade their commons based on character role - so the fighter could get a handful of say Cleaves and the mage Magic Missiles.

Alternately the Monster expansions can take the same format as DDM.

Play:
1. Roll initiative, high starts then clockwise
2. Draw from your deck
3. Play card or discard (to cycle to a more useful card next turn). Buff or ongoing spell cards stay on the table.
4. Resolve a standard action plus move, or full action. Roll dice, do damage, etc.
5. Next

On the DMs turn just do 3. (Choose ability if any) and 4. for each creature since NPC/monsters don't have Decks just a preset list.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
While that sounds like it would work, I wouldn't buy an RPG with collectible elements in it. Sure, I buy minis, but I see the Minis game as a seperate line and I can use them to supplement the line.

I don't think this is the direction that D&D is going for a second, but should this come to pass, color me uninterested in D&D 4.0.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
The_Universe said:
*sniff sniff* this smells like fecal matter. From a male bovine. Yes, definitely male bovine fecal matter.
You know if you find a cowpie when it first hits the ground, you can set it on fire immediately with a match. :)

Staffan

Legend
Steverooo said:
Escusez moi? Mike Mearls did a long series of "spells of color", based upon M:tG, right here on these boards, did he not?
I think you're confusing Mike Mearls with Michael Morris.

Mike Mearls = caffeine-powered robot now working for WOTC.
Michael Morris = Guy who did the Art of Magic stuff, and also tech guy for the site.

Eternalknight

First Post
I agree with everyone who has stated that adding collectible elements into D&D would be plain wrong. I also agree that having cards for things like feats, spells, combat actions etc would be plain cool, like the freebie PDF posted earlier in this thread.

Having a setting for D&D based on Dominaria would attract my attention immediately. As stated earlier, the vivid artwork and snippets of flavour text from the cards combine in people's minds to create evocative settings. Unless things have changed within WotC, it will not happen though. When WotC bought TSR, there was talk of doing a Dominaria setting. The D&D brand was all for it, but the Magic guys poo-pooed the idea. So unless they are now more agreeable it won't happen.

On the other hand, the cards themselves are great for making new D&D spells, magic items, monsters and prestige classes out of: http://mtgd20.blogspot.com/ :)

I will reserve my opinion on the original poster; I have seen several threads on several different forums recently talking about 'how cool Ravnica would be as a D&D setting' and things like that. I think that that may be wear the original post stems from.

skinnydwarf

Explorer
DungeonmasterCal said:
If the eventual 4E incorporates Magic: the Gathering into its ruleset, I'll just stick with 3.5, thank you.

I'd have to look at how they implemented it first, but *if* this rumor is true, especially if said cards are collectible... well, let's just say I'm glad that there's an OGL- and that I have enough d20 material to last me forever (or can get it on ebay in the *rumored* dark times of 4e). :)

twofalls said:
Wasn't D&D made into a card game once already? Wasn't it called Spellfire? Didn't it die a quiet death?

Yes to all questions. :( I'm still sad. I loved spellfire. Not so much because it was a great game (it wasn't), but because it was the only D&D type game I could get my brother interested in. We really bonded for the 3-4 years that we played Spellfire. When it went the way of the dodo we started drifting apart until now I only see him a couple times a year. So bring back Spellfire, I say!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads