Something Nice for the TMP

Ruthia

First Post
hhmm...ok lemme see. Is it sad that having been born there and living in the same state for all my life I have to look this up? *shakes head*

New York City (as found in Wikipedia New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Population (as of 2007)> 8,363,710
Area> 305 square miles, (790 km2)
Climate> Summers are typically hot and humid with average high temperatures of 79 – 84 °F (26 – 29 °C) and lows of 63 – 69 °F (17 – 21 °C), however temperatures exceed 90 °F (32 °C) can happen.
The average temperature in January, New York City's coldest month, is 32 °F (0 °C). However temperatures in winter could for few days be as low as 10s to 20s °F (−12 to −6 °C) and for a few days be as high as 50s or 60s °F (~10–15 °C). Spring and autumn are erratic, and could range from chilly to warm, although they are usually pleasantly mild with low humidity.
New York City receives 49.7 inches (1,260 mm) of precipitation annually, which is fairly spread throughout the year. Average winter snowfall is about 24.4 inches (62 cm), but this often varies considerably from year to year, and snow cover usually remains very short.Hurricanes and tropical storms are rare in the New York area, but are not unheard of and always have the potential to strike the area.

New York has five Boroughs Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, the Bronx and Staten Island. The first four are the highest in population, high enough that if they were their own cities they would be among the top ten highest populated cities in the USA.

The five boroughs: 1.Manhattan, 2.Brooklyn, 3.Queens, 4.The Bronx, 5.Staten Island

• Brooklyn (Kings County: Pop. 2,528,050)[77] is the city's most populous borough and was an independent city until 1898. Brooklyn is known for its cultural, social and ethnic diversity, an independent art scene, distinct neighborhoods and a unique architectural heritage. It is also the only borough outside of Manhattan with a distinct downtown area. The borough features a long beachfront and Coney Island, established in the 1870s as one of the earliest amusement grounds in the country.[80]
  • Staten Island (Richmond County: Pop. 481,613)[77] is the most suburban in character of the five boroughs. Staten Island is connected to Brooklyn by the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and to Manhattan by way of the free Staten Island Ferry. The Staten Island Ferry is one of the most popular tourist attractions in New York City as it provides unsurpassed views of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and lower Manhattan. Located in central Staten Island, the 25 km² Greenbelt has some 35 miles (56 km) of walking trails and one of the last undisturbed forests in the city. Designated in 1984 to protect the island's natural lands, the Greenbelt comprises seven city parks. The FDR Boardwalk along South Beach is 2.5 miles (4.0 km) long, the fourth largest in the world.

ok thats the basic Info Ariel. Anyone who knows more about the city wanna add in the feel of the place?

For example, Manhattan is the hub of business. Things like the Empire state building and Time Square are there. The Bronx is known by some as the bad area of town given it's gang activity. Anyone have something to add?

Magi_Trelian

First Post
*restrains self from uttering the traditional Red Sox fan's response to any mention of the NY Yankees*

Sports is a big part of NYC culture. For instance, there are two baseball teams: the NY Yankees in the American League, and the NY Mets in the National League (and previously there were also the NY Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers). In the World Series (the baseball season's final set of games), the best team in the American League plays the best team in the National League. This means it's possible to have both teams from NYC: a "subway series". It last happened in 2000.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Wow... that is incredibly useful! ^^

I laugh at the fact that you guys think 29 C is hot... And also re-iterates why I'm not visiting in winter... Do ya realise it's actually smaller in area than Sydney? Ya all really know how to pack people in.

*hugz*

I'll assume baseball over there is like footy over here. If you dont follow it/favour a team people think you're a lunatic who should be in an assylum.

Thanks...for all this. It's great!

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Incredibly useful, Ruthia, thanks!

Regarding the age - from what I've seen, people think even 17 is too young to be in The Meeting Place, because of it being a night club. I've seen people having their minor (since under 21 counts) characters sneaking past the bouncers, and I've seen people have their older characters commenting to said minors that they shouldn't be there or they'll get the place shut down.

Not to drag up the argument, 'cause I agree that just clarifying will work, I'm just sharing what I've observed.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Alright...so yeah the term nightclub is confusing. I'd like to put forward an idea. It's probably already what a lot of people think of when they think TMP. It's certainly what I think of.

Not too far from me (lol okay it's a bit of a way but that's irrelevant) there's a nice place called The Brewery. It's on the waterfront at Newcastle. By day it's a coffee shop/casual restaurant/nice place to go have a chat, and light meal, a few drinks etc. On Fri, Sat and Sun nights they put bouncers on the door and it becomes more of a nightclub (with music and dancing etc). That's pretty much how I see the TMP. It's a club, sure. It has music and dancing, sure. Can you be under-age and enter: yep most of the time. Do 17 yos get in: yes.

My question to you is, if this is (even slightly) futuristic, what's to say the age of consent laws haven't become lower (free-er less moral society?). I mean over here the laws are at 18 anyways...For me 17 yo is pretty normal to find in a club no matter what type it is.

Just my thoughts. File them under R for Rubbish if you think that's necessary.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
TMP functions in a future that is magically identical to our own in social values etc primarily because nobody knows for sure how the future will go and people can't resist the idea of writing a fictional future as an opportunity to jump on a soap box.

While this is arguably a huge part ofwhat makes Science Fiction writing great, it does create problems with conflicting views and values when you try to apply it to a large group.

For example: You may believe taht in the future there will likely be a lower age of consent for drinking, other people may believe that not only will the age limit remain, but there will be options for parents to put their children on chemical treatments to stop them from drinking alcohol etc.

While this kind of speculation does lead for great brainstorming and debate, and probably the seeds for some great science fiction writing any major changes to the setting invariably mean snubbing someone else and then the expectation that everyone who uses the setting will build characters around these ideas. That leads to more things for people to argue about instead of roleplaying.

So we keep everything magically similar to our own time line to make the setting as accessible and simple to manage as possible.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Lol it's no probs Gabe, I'm just tossing ideas around. At the rate the world is going I'm theorising the age of consent going up not down. :eek::eek: That's a worry.

But that aside I really do think there should be a min-age rule for the TMP. While I would personally love to see this in a time period format. Ie 8am-6pm all ages, 6pm-midnight 21+ (the age of consent is 21 in NYC isn't it?) Since we dont have a clock happening that isn't really possible. And you always go for the highest common denominator so 21 it is XD. Damn my logical brain. Of course, I can say this happily since my only TMP character is well over 21... :D:D

Magi_Brigid

First Post
There IS a minimum age limit unless someone under the age of 16 is accompanied by a guardian (more than once has Brigid looked at someone and said "Where's your parent?" with the indication that they're too young to be around). Given some of the insanity that we're all familiar with that goes on in TMP (largely based upon a horror overlay/backdrop to some activities in TMP), a minimum age is and always will be in the cards. I don't forsee it going up much past 16/17, however, though anyone under about 19-20 can expect to get some strange looks at times.

On a side note, I did set this up and haven't had the chance to toss it out there. Since there are/were quite a few WoD style characters that pop in and out of TMP, I was induced by a few regulars to set this up for the WoD characters in the setting.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/TMPWoD/start

Poke at me if you've got questions; I think I still have Magi Brigid (AIM) linked to my other SNs. I don't run MSN as much as I used to, so AIM and e-mail are still the best ways to grab me. And then those forums.

For those wondering, yes, Cassidy Beckett is one of my signature characters (and has been for quite some time).

Magi_Brigid

First Post
Cool. Do we need to run things by you before posting?

Uhm. I'm going to go with "depends on what it is." As control freaky as I can get, sometimes it's better to toss it out there for us to sort through in the mix rather than have me go all flippy prior to something getting put up (not that it happens all that often anymore....blame WoW, I've mellowed a lot). So unless it's something really random/strange/messed up/important hierarchical stuff....no, don't talk to me.

If you want to be the Keeper of the Sept on the Green or have a high position in the Prince's court....that we may have to talk about. So, good rule of thumb: If it affects the hierarchy, then please, try to talk to me. Even if it looks like I'm not on AIM, give it a try, since sometimes I'm all invisible while I'm in my office and attempting to do research or homework or the like.

It IS mixed oWoD and nWoD and we'll have to sort through it as we can (conversations between a nWoD mage and an oWoD mage come to mind).

Remove ads