• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Somethings to look at

The Cousin IT

First Post
Hey all, I have two things I need to talk about and would like your feedback on.

First of all is lack of classes that use mechanics instead of magic. The two "real" option are the Aritifacer from Eberron, but that class has the strange "infussions" which at least in my opinion aren't very well thoughout. They were trying to make a class that created objects instead of casting spells, but all that they ended up with was a watered down wizard that had a very limited amount of spells, just think about it. There really isn't any advantage in the Artifacer over a normal wizard. They are good at making items, but with a few feats any wizard can be just as good, and wizards can also cast actually useful spells, like um, FIREBALL. Being able to give armor a +3 enhancement bonus is nice at 3rd level, but in the long run the lack of offensive spellcasting just isn't balanced out.
The other more mechanical class is the Gnome Artifacer, and it is a joke, it really really sucks. IT GETS WANDS AS CLASS ABILITIES. No need to get in further about it.

So I have been working on my own mechanical class and I call it the "Engineer", it doesn't cast spells per say, but does create widgets that function almost identically to them. I've tried to keep the systems as close as possible, I've added the necessity of a "spark" to start the devices. This spark is a small amount of magical electricity, therefore making these devices subject to antimagic zone, and dispelling. In the end there isn't really much difference except from style between a wizard with the appropriate feats and my engineer, but I think that style is what counts most in an RPG. Its pretty long, around 5 or 6 pages, so i'm going to post it on my website, I don't know what the url is going to be exactly so go to www.geocities.com/vincentbauer3 and I'll add a clear link to this .word document. Please tell me what you think of it and how I could improve it, and I know that there's lots to improve.

Seconldy is character sheets. I've spent some time making a character sheet in excel. I know that you can already download one from planetadnd, but mine is much better. It automatically fills in lots of information for you, all that you have to do it tell it how many levels of what base class, your race, and your ability score rolls, (sorry i'm not crazy enough to program it for every nonPHB class) and it calculates your number of skills, BAB, class abilities, racial languages, size, speed, encumburence, what ever you could need it automatically calculates it. Only thing is that it isn't completely ready yet. I have yet to add much of the spell casting because it takes a lot of time to put in all the values for spell per day and such, its a 9 by 20 table that I have to program into the excel, so i'm just being lazy about that, and I'm going to program it with some house rules, sorry to all you traditionalist but why don't you go program your own sheets, so it will end up having the recharging spells for cleric and druids, and the spell points and such for wizards. It has a rudamentary bit for wizard spell points at the bottom so you can see how I work it in, but its not done yet. For this also look for links at www.geocities.com/vincentbauer3

Cool, just got back from Canada in time to see this. :) I'll check them out as soon as they're up. Especially the character sheet. If it's the same one you showed me, it'll be pretty sweet. :)

P.S. Tome of Magic kicks ass.

The Cousin IT

First Post
Yeah, I've put my characters from both the P's campaigns in it and I found a lot of problems, so I've fixed most of those. I need to see the unearthed arcana to finish with the spellcasting.

I NEED ARTWORK FOR MY CHARACTER SHEET
If anyone here is good at drawing and can make some cool sketches I would gladly add them to my sheets, I'm not sure of the legality of using D20 artwork. I know that the game rules are under OGC but I dont' know about the artwork so I don't want to get sued about some little character sheet.

Oh, and the site is up and running, the exact url is

http://www.geocities.com/character.sheet/

the files are .zipped, so use winrar or winzip to open them, you can igonore the other links.

Last edited:

The Cousin IT said:
Yeah, I've put my characters from both the P's campaigns in it and I found a lot of problems, so I've fixed most of those. I need to see the unearthed arcana to finish with the spellcasting.

I NEED ARTWORK FOR MY CHARACTER SHEET
If anyone here is good at drawing and can make some cool sketches I would gladly add them to my sheets, I'm not sure of the legality of using D20 artwork. I know that the game rules are under OGC but I dont' know about the artwork so I don't want to get sued about some little character sheet.

Oh, and the site is up and running, the exact url is

http://www.geocities.com/vincentbauer3/page3

its not much to look at right now but, oh well
Just so you know, pretty much everything in UA is on the Hypertext d20 SRD now. You probably don't actually need the book. :)

The Cousin IT

First Post
Oh, I hadn't variant rules section.

So how are we doing it?

Wizards-spellpoints
Clerics/druid-recharging
Bards-normal

are we keeping sorcerers normal or are we doing spellpoints?

I don't know if you noticed but I've changed the link to

this site actually looks like something and isn't a white screen.

The Cousin IT said:
Oh, I hadn't variant rules section.

So how are we doing it?

Wizards-spellpoints
Clerics/druid-recharging
Bards-normal

are we keeping sorcerers normal or are we doing spellpoints?

I don't know if you noticed but I've changed the link to

this site actually looks like something and isn't a white screen.

Looks pretty good, though you might want to do some more explaining, since how devices work isn't very clear right now. Ask Sadowski if you can switch your Artificer to one in his campaign so you can test run it.

By the way, wizards are still using the normal system, sorcerers are using spell-points, not the other way around.

P.S. Some time soon this week, mayber tommorow (Friday) we have to get the group together. :)

The Cousin IT

First Post
yeah, I know, I even got myself confused with the difference between the "items" and the "devices", and I don't really know the difference, so I need to think of something.

We really need to do something over the weekend, I got a job during the week, so that won't work, and Sad and I are going to Miami for three weeks around the 25th or something (weekend after next )

miami, ohio, for debate, just to make sure you didn't get the wrong idea

The Cousin IT

First Post
alright, i've updated most of the spell stuff, it now has the sorcerer spell points, and driud and cleric recharge,so I still have to do the bard and the wizard, and I don't really care about the ranger and palading spell casting because none of us usually stick with them long enought to actually get enough spells to actually make it worthwhile to automate it, but I might do it sometime.

I'm going to put this both in the patches section and I'll update the download.

The Cousin IT said:
alright, i've updated most of the spell stuff, it now has the sorcerer spell points, and driud and cleric recharge,so I still have to do the bard and the wizard, and I don't really care about the ranger and palading spell casting because none of us usually stick with them long enought to actually get enough spells to actually make it worthwhile to automate it, but I might do it sometime.

I'm going to put this both in the patches section and I'll update the download.
Cool. I'll lend you ToM if you want so you can do any other updates you might want. :)

The Cousin IT

First Post
I think that Sad is on vacation, he hasn't been answering my emails, but I don't know about peter, I talked to him earlier this week and he didn't say anything.

Remove ads