• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sometimes, It feels good to be a writer.

I don't know if I should post this here, since I guess it could be construed as product pimping, even though I don't really pimp anything I write.

But there isn't really a place I can go to and really talk about this sort of thing, with a group of people who know what I mean.

I just got a pdf of a book I wrote a while ago that was just published, and I've got to say I'm really, really proud of the way it turned out.

Joe Goodman really came through on it, and it just looks so very nice. And reading through it was actually a pleasant experience for me. Usually, I second guess everything I've written, to the point where I end up convinced it's absolutely awful crap, but this time I really felt good overall.

There are a few errors, and a few sentence structure mistakes I wish I'd caught, but I really like the way it turned out, and I especially like all the little flavor bits.

Anyway, I guess that's it. Sometimes, I feel pretty lonely writing stuff, so I just felt like expressing myself just this once.

Does this happen for you sometimes? When you've looked back on something you've written, and been pleasantly surprised that your initial good feeling hasn't faded? You know, some bit of your campaign, or some module chunk?

Patrick Y.

Crothian

First Post
So, what book is it?

I'm not a published wirter, I'm not that cool. But sometimes I look at old things I've writen and really get a cool feeling about it. Or I'm like, god that sucks and they I improve it.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Very occasionally. Although, ironically, the things that I'm most satisfied with are usually the same things that I want to go back and re-work to make them better.

Crothian said:
So, what book is it?

I'm not a published wirter, I'm not that cool. But sometimes I look at old things I've writen and really get a cool feeling about it. Or I'm like, god that sucks and they I improve it.

I usually end up feeling the latter, couple with knowing it's already published and there's nothing I can do. But it's nice to see that occasional bit I just won't second guess.

The cool feeling is really great. It makes me feel happy.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Arcane Runes Press said:
Does this happen for you sometimes? When you've looked back on something you've written, and been pleasantly surprised that your initial good feeling hasn't faded? You know, some bit of your campaign, or some module chunk?

Kinda. Just yesterday I finished updating my portfolio. Looking back on 15+ years as a graphic designer I found myself admiring work that I hadn't seen in over a decade.

It's a nice feeling.

Warden

First Post
I get those feelings of doubt too, so I try to get things sent off to the editors before I start changing my mind too much. The real reward comes when someone else -- not being paid by you, that is -- compliments your work with a comment. Reviews are good too, but comments are not requested. It feels better to know that someone thought enough of your book to publicly approve it and recommend it to others. That's always a call for a cigar.

StupidSmurf

First Post
Arcane Runes Press said:
I don't know if I should post this here, since I guess it could be construed as product pimping, even though I don't really pimp anything I write.

But there isn't really a place I can go to and really talk about this sort of thing, with a group of people who know what I mean.

I just got a pdf of a book I wrote a while ago that was just published, and I've got to say I'm really, really proud of the way it turned out.

Joe Goodman really came through on it, and it just looks so very nice. And reading through it was actually a pleasant experience for me. Usually, I second guess everything I've written, to the point where I end up convinced it's absolutely awful crap, but this time I really felt good overall.

There are a few errors, and a few sentence structure mistakes I wish I'd caught, but I really like the way it turned out, and I especially like all the little flavor bits.

Anyway, I guess that's it. Sometimes, I feel pretty lonely writing stuff, so I just felt like expressing myself just this once.

Patrick Y.

There is stuff that I've done that I still look back at (either professionally or in my campaign), smile and go "Damn, I hit that one out of the park." Conversely, there's stuff that I wished I could redo totally. :)

Pride in one's work is a good thing. If you think your work sucks, then how do you expect anyone else to like it either? Giving yourself a pat on the back sometimes is just what the doctor ordered! I've had to learn that myself, as I've seen so much ego and swagger in my life that I've purposefully gone out of my way not to blow my own horn when I had good reason to. Basically, I went to the other extreme. So yeah...revel in it!!! ;)

Arcane Runes Press said:
I've written a lot of stuff over the years, none of it intended for publication, and every time I look back on it I am amazed by how awful my writing is.

On those rare occasions where I bother to go back and clean up the clunky style, the result is easier to follow but has lost the spark which made it worth reading in the first place.

Congratulations on being published, and I hope your modesty wanes and you reveal what it is you have written.

Remove ads