• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Song of Rest Abuse?

Zardnaar

Legend
Song of rest seems like a cute little bard class ability that buffs your healing rate with hit dice a little bit. However we have been talking about a mono class party for fun and games mostly to see what would happen.

Now if you had a 5 person party made up of 100% bards at level 5 song of rest restores an extra 1d8 healing to HD based healing. With 5 bards though if you spent a hit dice to regain hit points would you gain an extra 5d8 hit points per hit dice?

Last edited:

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Yeah, weird things happen when a party decide to all play the same class - no matter which class that happens to be.

If the results are somethings the group doesn't like, then the group should adjust things. I personally don't see any problem with letting all the bards play their song of rest together and enhancing its effects, but then the challenges in my campaigns are not defeated simply by having more hit points.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, weird things happen when a party decide to all play the same class - no matter which class that happens to be.

If the results are somethings the group doesn't like, then the group should adjust things. I personally don't see any problem with letting all the bards play their song of rest together and enhancing its effects, but then the challenges in my campaigns are not defeated simply by having more hit points.

Yeah we have theory crafted all Rogue parties and all cleric parties as well. IDK why its just fun talking about D&D with the players.

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
I suppose you could use the rules from the "Combining Magical Effects" sidebar on page #81 of the basic rules. You only benefit from the most potent effect. Although, it calls out spells and not magical abilities in general, but it could be an argument against it stacking--along with other class abilities such as Aura of protection, but that discussion isn't the focus of this thread. But despite any arguments, I'd probably let it fly at any table I run. I'd love to see a Band of Bards as an adventuring crew.

Remove ads