Sore losers

Crothian

First Post
Bullying is the wrong term and I imagine it was used just to get attention to the complaint. These type of blowouts are not that uncommon in sports and there should be some kind of mercy rule.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
It is funny, I saw the Simpsons this sunday. The three bullies were together and one of them suggested to go bully an adult instead of a kid. One of othe said, and I papraphrase; "won't this be criminal behavior instead of bullying?".

That is all.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A mercy rule would probsbly be a good idea. So would holding the athletic department responsible for playing in the proper division.

Because the one thing you generally CAN'T do in organized sports is tell your kids not to give it their best. It teaches the wrong lessons about competion and is a good way to get someone injured.

Besides, apparently the winning coach had pulled his starters and was letting the bench warmers play and wasn't using any pass plays, just running plays. Not much else he could do.

Something like this happened when SMU was playing the Aggies shortly after SMU's "Death Penalty" had been completed. The Aggies annihilated them. When SMU's coach was asked what he thought about the Aggies running up the score, he blew up at the reporter- "They didn't run up the expletive deleted score! They only used 4 different plays out of their expletive deleted playbook- we just couldn't stop them!"

Last edited:

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
Because the one thing you generally CAN'T do in organized sports is tell your kids not to give it their best. It teaches the wrong lessons about competion and is a good way to get someone injured.
But that is exactly what is happening.
"Everybody wins"... "everybody gets a trophy"... "not keeping score"... Kids are being taught that success is a bad thing, that one being successful means they are somehow taking something from somebody else.
It's sickening really.

Kramodlog

"Everybody wins"... "everybody gets a trophy"... "not keeping score"... Kids are being taught that success is a bad thing, that one being successful means they are somehow taking something from somebody else.
It's sickening really.
A score of 91-0 means "everybody wins"? I thought you stopped smoking the wacky tobacky?

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Losing - even losing badly - is a possibility whenever competition happens. If you don't like or can't handle losing - even badly - then don't compete. It's kinda part of the deal. Anyhoo, the real responsible party here is the district as they decided to place a 4 time state champ in a division full of chumps. Expecting them to play down to the level of their competition isn't a solution. Either expect the other teams to raise their ability or move them to a more competitive division. But yeah, it ain't on the school, it ain't on the coach and it ain't on the kids.

Ahnehnois

First Post
If a competitive game ends that way, it's probably a game that shouldn't have been played to begin with. I don't see that the winning team did anything wrong. You play to win.

Kramodlog

If a competitive game ends that way, it's probably a game that shouldn't have been played to begin with. I don't see that the winning team did anything wrong. You play to win.
In the context of school, you should play to learn. Sports teach very little and this match even less.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It's sickening really.
I'm aware of that trend, but let it be known that there is some pushback. One of our local athletic leagues is ending the practice of issuing participation trophies. Trophies are for winners only.

Remove ads