Sore losers

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
But that is exactly what is happening.
"Everybody wins"... "everybody gets a trophy"... "not keeping score"... Kids are being taught that success is a bad thing, that one being successful means they are somehow taking something from somebody else.
It's sickening really.

When the kids you've got are young enough that you're focused on teaching them the fundamentals of the game, like in rec league soccer, there's no positive value in keeping score. It's just a distraction. Success is measured in remembering to pass the ball as much as anything else.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm aware of that trend, but let it be known that there is some pushback. One of our local athletic leagues is ending the practice of issuing participation trophies. Trophies are for winners only.

Team pictures, rec league jerseys, or some other kind of record-keeping token like a certificate are a more appropriate alternative.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I actually have some of my stuff from childhood & teenaged competition: jerseys, patches, pictures, medals, ribbons, etc. It suffices. I can still look at them and recall those days fondly. And my sporting life was a mixed bag of champions and utter disasters.

Besides, they're paradoxically more durable- all of my (few) trophies broke long ago. Sometimes, the blade of grass that bends before the storm is more likely to survive it than the mighty oak that stands rigidly against it.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
When the kids you've got are young enough that you're focused on teaching them the fundamentals of the game, like in rec league soccer, there's no positive value in keeping score. It's just a distraction. Success is measured in remembering to pass the ball as much as anything else.

My stepson played t-ball in a league where the score was not announced at the game's end. Can you guess what the kids' number two question was after every game? Hint: Question number one was whether or not they were going for ice cream.

The score was kept for the purpose of determining a playoff but they were not allowed to tell anyone what it was. Parents kept score on their own because, well, the score matters. It's, like, why you compete. You can learn fundamentals without competing.

My stepson played t-ball in a league where the score was not announced at the game's end. Can you guess what the kids' number two question was after every game? Hint: Question number one was whether or not they were going for ice cream.
What does having diabetes feel like?
The score was kept for the purpose of determining a playoff but they were not allowed to tell anyone what it was. Parents kept score on their own because, well, the score matters. It's, like, why you compete. You can learn fundamentals without competing.
Meh, most parents are more concerned with the scores and the game than the kids. Some parents are obsessed with the game and trying to relive their glory days through their kids. That's why you see these videos of parents at little league games getting into fights. If anything, not keeping scores can at least help to minimize incidents of parents flipping out over some stupid call. Also, your face!

Janx

Hero

I bet Wayne Gretsky kept score.

And he had more Assists than anybody else in the league.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Meh, most parents are more concerned with the scores and the game than the kids. Some parents are obsessed with the game and trying to relive their glory days through their kids. That's why you see these videos of parents at little league games getting into fights. If anything, not keeping scores can at least help to minimize incidents of parents flipping out over some stupid call. Also, your face!

Yeah, some parents suck at life. The kids, though, really wanna know who won. It's not like they don't choose to compete on their own in other ways. Competition is natural. Neutering the consequences - especially when they're incredibly light - is what's unnatural.

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
What we need is a bloated, tax payer funded gov't bureaucracy to get to the bottom of all this hurtfulness. It is hurtful when children that compete in games where there are winners and losers, are forced to be losers because the other team are winners and are better. We need the gov't to make everything "equal" so everybody wins and nobodys feelings get hurt. Because it is more important to teach children that effort and hard work mean nothing than it is to teach children that success can be achieved through hard work and perseverance.

Mod Note: Take the politics to some other website, please and thank you. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullgrit

Adventurer
My now 9 years old son has played soccer since he was 5 years old. Two seasons per year, (spring & fall). The first few seasons the score was not "officially" kept. The idea was that the kids are just learning the game; playing was really just training & practice. But the kids, every one, kept track and knew the score of every game they played. They knew when they won and lost, all on their own, without parents saying anything. Not keeping an official score was not to protect anyone's feelings, it was because the games were really just fundamentals training.

The last two seasons, there was an official score and even a tournament at the end of the season. There was no scoreboard or written record of the score shown anywhere, but again, still, the kids knew the scores.

The scores ranged anywhere from very close, like 3-3, to wide, like 8-1. No one got upset, no kid cried, no parent got angry. Couple hundred kids and parents, and nothing but good manners all around.

He also played a couple extra seasons on an indoor soccer league. In the beginning of one of the indoor seasons, the league official judged his team to be better than his age bracket, and so moved them up. The opposing teams in the upper bracket were full of kids head and shoulders taller than our kids. The game scores were close, but we parents worried about injuries. 7 year old kids playing against 9 year old kids -- a collision, or a ball to the face could be dangerous. There were a couple of accidents that got gasps from the parents on the bleachers. After the first two games, we talked the officials into letting our kids go back down to their age bracket, for safety.

In their own age bracket, our team dominated. I'm talking 20-0 score domination, (in soccer!). We parents admitted to being a bit embarrassed. Sadly, sometimes the other team would have only 4-5 kids, (of 10 total), show up for a game. Our team always had 8-9 show up every game. After a couple of games, our coaches, (volunteer parents), would lend the other teams some of our players to even out the skill level, and to give the other team players time to rest.

Through all of that, still no kid cried and no parent got angry. Everyone was a good sport about all of it.

So remember, for every news item and every apocryphal anecdote you've read or heard, there are thousands and thousands of kids and parents who handle playing, winning, and losing at various sports just fine.

But trophies: some kind of participation award is ok, but a real trophy should be only for winning something major. Here is more of my experience and opinion on kids' trophies.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Robin Hoodlum

Banned
Banned
What we need is a bloated, tax payer funded gov't bureaucracy to get to the bottom of all this hurtfulness. It is hurtful when children that compete in games where there are winners and losers, are forced to be losers because the other team are winners and are better. We need the gov't to make everything "equal" so everybody wins and nobodys feelings get hurt. Because it is more important to teach children that effort and hard work mean nothing than it is to teach children that success can be achieved through hard work and perseverance.

Mod Note: Take the politics to some other website, please and thank you. ~Umbran
What politics?

Remove ads