Sorry Folks, I just can't get into 5e

MPA2000

Explorer
I've seriously tried, but I cannot get into to anything beyond Basic D&D and AD&D1e. D20 just does nothing for me. Every version that came out, I tried to read the game rules and be part of the interest but the game is so different than Basic/ADD1e that it might as well be an entirely different game altogether.

I really tried more so with 5e because I was under the impression that the creators made this so it would interest the Mystara people, but it doesn't. It's like playing football one day and waking up in a place where football is now called soccer and you were expected to jump in and learn the rules.

Or maybe it is like being happy with my vinyl records and cassette tapes (ask your grandparents!), and then the music industry decides to only print CD's forcing you to make life changes in how you purchase and listen to music.

signed,

Lost in Indiana

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You are allowed to like what you like. There is no need to apologize for it.

Yes, the world *is* going to move on. Sorry. At this point they are beyond the point of vinyl-CD changeover. The rest of the world has moved on to digital downloads.

But, your turntable still works, and you can keep on playin' that way.

Slit518

Adventurer
I've seriously tried, but I cannot get into to anything beyond Basic D&D and AD&D1e. D20 just does nothing for me. Every version that came out, I tried to read the game rules and be part of the interest but the game is so different than Basic/ADD1e that it might as well be an entirely different game altogether.

I really tried more so with 5e because I was under the impression that the creators made this so it would interest the Mystara people, but it doesn't. It's like playing football one day and waking up in a place where football is now called soccer and you were expected to jump in and learn the rules.

Or maybe it is like being happy with my vinyl records and cassette tapes (ask your grandparents!), and then the music industry decides to only print CD's forcing you to make life changes in how you purchase and listen to music.

signed,

Lost in Indiana

Question -
Wasn't Advanced Dungeons & Dragons or Dungeons & Dragons 2nd edition similar to D&D 1e?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I didn't like 4e. I also didn't go into 4e forums to tell everyone I didn't like it.

Do what you like to do. Don't worry about what other people are doing.

What's the point of your post? You don't ask a question. You're not reporting on some current event...

What do you want from us? Or are you just trolling?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I didn't like 4e. I also didn't go into 4e forums to tell everyone I didn't like it.

What's the point of your post? You don't ask a question. You're not reporting on some current event...

What do you want from us? Or are you just trolling?

People are allowed to not like things you like. They're also allowed to say that. If you're not interested in this thread, there are many other threads to choose from.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

I feel for you. Personally, for me it is frustrating because although I don't like aspects of 5E, there are parts of it I love. Others here might not believe it, given the nature of my posts and such LOL, but it is true. Was there anything in it you did like or find novel? Anything that if you move back into the familiar you can take with you to make other versions better for you? I know, even if I give up on 5E someday, it will influence how I run my 1E/2E hybrid that I and my players before have loved for so many years.

Please, give it some thought. If you read this, I am genuinely interested in your point of view and response.

dave2008

Legend

signed,

Lost in Indiana

Not sure why you are apologizing. Where you doing something of worth for the 5e community and now you can't? Nothing to apologize for that you didn't like an edition.

I didn't really like 2e or 3e/3.5e (didn't play them even). In fact, I only liked 1e/BECMI because that was all I knew at the time. When I got back into D&D with 4e, and I found my old 1e/BECMI notes (and I joined enworld and the WotC forums), I realized that the version of 1e/BECMI that we played barely resembled the official "rules," 15 pages of house rules will do that! So I guess I didn't really like those either. I don't think I need to apologize for that though.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
I feel for you. Personally, for me it is frustrating because although I don't like aspects of 5E, there are parts of it I love. Others here might not believe it . . .

Oh, I definitely believe it. One of the things I really like about 5e is how it shed 3rd and 4th edition's poorer innovations and kept the good stuff. And even 1st and 2nd's. It's kinda like a reboot of the whole AD&D franchise, but without Chris Pine . . .

. . . I think I lost the thread of the thoughts.

Remove ads