D&D (2024) Sort weapon table by...

Sort weapon table by...

• Weapon name (leave it as is)

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • Damage

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Traits (i.e. put all two handed together)

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Mastery

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
I am once again advocating that the heavy property should be implemented as a STR requirement for better weapons of the same design/tier,
a 1-h simple weapon would be d6 and a 1-h heavy(STR:15) simple weapon would be d8
a 1-h martial weapon would be d8 but a 1-h heavy(STR:15) martial weapon could be d10

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
I am once again advocating that the heavy property should be implemented as a STR requirement for better weapons of the same design/tier,
a 1-h simple weapon would be d6 and a 1-h heavy(STR:15) simple weapon would be d8
a 1-h martial weapon would be d8 but a 1-h heavy(STR:15) martial weapon could be d10
or just have heavy not usable by small characters without penalties.

CreamCloud0

or just have heavy not usable by small characters without penalties.
i mean yes that too, but i suggested the thing i did as i felt like it would offer more choices and options into the weapon table as IMO it's very lacking in them.

for any STR based character even the higher requirements will quickly become a non-issue, but for DEX based or more casting oriented builds it offers a decision point about if you want to reasonably invest in a nonessential stat to be rewarded with better quality of weapons available to you, plus it adds a little value to the often-dumped STR.

if there was a 1-h d10 finesse heavy(13) weapon would a rogue or dex ranger value that extra damage enough to invest in 13 STR over just using a d8 rapier, maybe, maybe not, but the choice exists for them to decide.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
i mean yes that too, but i suggested the thing i did as i felt like it would offer more choices and options into the weapon table as IMO it's very lacking in them.

for any STR based character even the higher requirements will quickly become a non-issue, but for DEX based or more casting oriented builds it offers a decision point about if you want to reasonably invest in a nonessential stat to be rewarded with better quality of weapons available to you, plus it adds a little value to the often-dumped STR.

if there was a 1-h d10 finesse heavy(13) weapon would a rogue or dex ranger value that extra damage enough to invest in 13 STR over just using a d8 rapier, maybe, maybe not, but the choice exists for them to decide.
as long as we have general proficiency in weapons, there is no need to gate it with STR, having low STR is already a penalty for melee combat.
there is a difference between 12 and 16 STR and using a same weapon.

also, "heavy" and finesse do not sound like they belong as properties of the same weapon.

on the other hand, you can make all weapons finesse and just have all weapons with STR requirement.

I.E. dagger 6 STR, pike or other large reach weapon 18

CreamCloud0

also, "heavy" and finesse do not sound like they belong as properties of the same weapon.
i dunno, 'you require a certain amount of strength in order to properly weild this weapon with any precision' makes sense to me, 'this is a graceful weapon to weild but it's still a heavy hunk of metal'.

Horwath

Legend
i dunno, 'you require a certain amount of strength in order to properly weild this weapon with any precision' makes sense to me, 'this is a graceful weapon to weild but it's still a heavy hunk of metal'.
maybe, this whole let's make small characters medium(almost) with non real advantages/disadvantages got us this "heavy" property.
just reduce damage die of all weapons by 1 step for small characters and that is it.

maybe, this whole let's make small characters medium(almost) with non real advantages/disadvantages got us this "heavy" property.
just reduce damage die of all weapons by 1 step for small characters and that is it.
Why do small characters need a penalty? It's not like small characters get any real advantages. Humans can be both small or medium now if memory serves.

A point of damage is pretty insignificant, so why have a piddly minor tax for someone wanting to play against type? For realism? It's D&D! Even the meat enthusiasts agree HP aren't all meat. If the v-tude crowd needs something to massage their imaginations, how about smaller character's smaller weapons slip under bigger creature's guards easier, balancing out.

Horwath

Legend
Why do small characters need a penalty? It's not like small characters get any real advantages. Humans can be both small or medium now if memory serves.

A point of damage is pretty insignificant, so why have a piddly minor tax for someone wanting to play against type? For realism? It's D&D! Even the meat enthusiasts agree HP aren't all meat. If the v-tude crowd needs something to massage their imaginations, how about smaller character's smaller weapons slip under bigger creature's guards easier, balancing out.
there should be advantages; stealth, athletics(except offensive grapple), acrobatics are good points for having small character advantage over medium one. +1 AC is also a good point, smaller target, harder to hit.

Remove ads