D&D (2024) Sort weapon table by...

Sort weapon table by...

• Weapon name (leave it as is)

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • Damage

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Traits (i.e. put all two handed together)

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Mastery

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I say sort them by name. When I'm outfitting my character, odds are good that I've already decided what the weapon of choice will be (a longsword, a warhammer, a quarterstaff, whatever) and I'm only looking at the table so that I can fill in the blanks on my character sheet. Having to read through a whole table trying to find the longsword in a sea of 1d8 damage entries, only to find it in the "versatile" section instead, would be frustrating for me.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I say sort them by name. When I'm outfitting my character, odds are good that I've already decided what the weapon of choice will be (a longsword, a warhammer, a quarterstaff, whatever) and I'm only looking at the table so that I can fill in the blanks on my character sheet. Having to read through a whole table trying to find the longsword in a sea of 1d8 damage entries, only to find it in the "versatile" section instead, would be frustrating for me.

Which is why all weapons should do 1d6 damage adjusted by weapon group and traits - then the pre-emptive choice isnt max damage, its fighting style/traits instead

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Should be sorted by armorer's preference: weight. The heavy ones up front for easier dispatching to troops. Or by how the weapons racks are sorted.

(Then by name, like in civilized society.)

aco175

Legend
Did the class descriptions change what weapons they give? They should still be sorted by simple and martial. This can be followed by melee and ranged, all in order by damage or alphabetical. All the new things are just more descriptors and can be placed at the end with the rest.

Weapons should be sorted by traits and armour by AC. And weapons with the same traits should all do the same damage, so whether you pick a great sword or a great axe is just an aesthetic choice.
I also think races classes should all get the same abilities with just different names. That should also be an aesthetic choice...

I really hate having everything the same.* Races and classes should be distinct (other than a few plusses here and there). So having masteries concept is a boon for the game. It makes choices a bit more meaningful.

If you however want to go down to only aesthetic choices, 13th age has you covered. It does weapon damage by class.

*I really think it was a downgrade from FFXI to FFXIV where the difference between species is just a few insignifican modifieres, where it was a big dofference in HP and MP before. (And you still could make any class work a bit different but almost perfectly, with either choice amd a bit of items and buffs).

mellored

Legend
That only works if you already know the names on the list.

If you look for a Corseque, Guisarme, Hookbill, Voulge, Yari, ect... you're going to have trouble finding what your looking for.

Or your search for a dao, katana, gladius, saber... not going to have an easy time.

If you look up 2 handed reach, then you can see glaive and halberd.
If you look up one handed finesse, you'll see the short sword and rapier.

Last edited:

Remove ads