• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sound Burst and Sonic Damage Resistance

Marimmar

First Post
Hi!

My players found a buckler of sonic resistance last session and now I wonder if the wearer would be protected against the stun effect of a sound burst since the spell would be unable to damage him.

The spell description unfortunately only covers deaf subjects.

Thanx!
~Marimmar

The Souljourner

First Post
Up to the DM. I'd say that if the spell does no damage for any reason, then it can't stun the guy, but it's not clearly spelled out in the rules anywhere that I know of.

However, that would be something of a house rule... by the letter of the rules, the stun and the damage are separate effects, and preventing the damage in no way prevents the stunning.

-The Souljourner

Artoomis

First Post
An easy one:

Sonic Resistance: A suit of armor or a shield with this property normally has a glistening appearance. The armor absorbs the first 10 points of sonic damage per attack that the wearer would normally take (similar to the resist energy spell).
Faint abjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, resist energy; Price +18,000 gp.

Sound Burst
Evocation [Sonic]

.... Every creature in the area takes 1d8 points of sonic damage ....

Kind of answers itself, doesn't it?

Edit: Sorry, I misread the question.

Stunned? I'd say yes. The "stun" is a condition and not damage, and the distiction has meaning in the D&D world.

Last edited:

Marimmar@Home

First Post
Okay, I just thought that there might have been a relation between the damage and the stun effect that I might have missed. At least the buckler will absorb the only known source of sonic damage I've ever seen as player and DM. :)

~Marimmar

Darklone

3.5 has some more/improved sonic damage spells... sounds like you're a lucky D&D fan without nightmares about E-sub(sonic) sorcerers ;)

hong

WotC's bitch
Darklone said:
3.5 has some more/improved sonic damage spells... sounds like you're a lucky D&D fan without nightmares about E-sub(sonic) sorcerers ;)
One reason I don't use 99% of splatbook feats IMC.

I mean, if I'm going to break my game, I'm going to do it MY way, and not somebody else's.

Marimmar@Home

First Post
Just looked it up, sonic resistance is useful only against 3 monsters from the MM1 and a total of 4 spells. Indeed a powerful item. :D

~Marimmar

PS: I have put all monsters and spells into a database for easy reference, so no I didn't spend much time on looking this up. It took a lot of time to create the databases though. ;)

Marimmar

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Since you are talking from your great database, are you the only one who has access to it? :) If yes, why? If no, how can I get it? :)

Well someone else invested a lot of time to convert the SRD rtf documents into a spells and a monster database. He did it in SQL which I don't have much knowledge of, so I converted his work into FileMaker Pro 6 databases.

Currently only me and my friends have access to it to generate stat blocks for monsters and spell lists for their spell casters. I could send you the original sql tables but not my own work since it wouldn't fall under the OGL anymore due to some 'additions' I made.

~Marimmar

Remove ads