• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Edition Players Handbook....Meh

Nightcloak said:
Actually, Monte points out that you don't need the AE to play an AU campaign - because it is not a revision. It's just a collection of existing books, including AU, printed in full color with new art work for the fans. Some extra goodness is thrown in like epic level progression and some new options for classes with sub-choices (like the witch or champion). In other words, it is a special edition in the proper sense of the word - A book for the core fans. It would be great to have, but you don't need it at all to play AU. This differs greatly from the release of 3.5 in that you were expected to update to actual rule changes.

Heck, I'm probably going to be BUYING AE. I do understand the sentiment, but it just seems so much like Monte Cook gets hailed as a god among gods when he does anything and when WotC does something no matter how much they TELL you about it...people end up complaining about it. Yep, looking at that, it IS the overzealous fans that bother me more than anything.

If the SEPH was a collection of the core rules and player options, printed with new art work, with extra choices for characters and epic pregressions thrown in then it would be special and this debate wouldn't be taking place ;)

Hey hey hey!! NO! BAD! SEPH canNOT be used because it actually spells something. I'm sorry but we will be sticking with the awkward and painful sounding SEPHB. ;)

Turjan

Explorer
Nightcloak said:
Sorry about that Turjan, you posted while I was typing :)
I really need to learn to type faster...

LOL :D;)! That's an interesting remark :D!

Nightcloak said:
Except I am a MC fan.

Well, I respect his good grasp for mechanics, though I don't care for his flavor texts. Anyway, I thought his criticism of 3.5e was spot on. I know the effect 3.5e had on me and my buying habits, and I'd really like to know whether this was a common reaction or not.

You don't have to be a fanboy to see the reason behind his remarks, even though he might also have had some personal squabbles with the situation.

SSquirrel

Explorer
JustKim said:
Breaking news, I just bought my fifth copy of the Player's Handbook, and it seems mostly identical to the first, second, third and fourth copies I already had! I'm so disgusted, if WotC doesn't start putting all new material in the same old books I may stop buying Player's Handbooks altogether!
Heh they don't care, they already have at LEAST $100 of yr money, possibly as much as $150.

Only CE version of a book I have is the 20th anniversary CoC. I sue it when I game, but I don't get to play CoC anymore cept like once per year so oh well heh.

Hagen

SSquirrel

Explorer
Chun-tzu said:
No, no, that's the Extended edition, coming out just in time for Christmas. Then, next summer they'll release the Unrated edition. Rumor has it we'll see naked nymphs and demons again, but I'm betting it'll just have all the iconics dressed like Hennet, in leather and spikes.
Don't forget each quarter of 2006 will have a new cover featuring a different class. Wizard Edition will be the first and it will cause vast arguements about whether it's really for Wizards or if it's based on th euse of the word "Wizard" as a synonym for "Cool" in The Phantom Menace *grin*

Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
While I like AU, I've got a serious problem with AE being compared to the Special Edition PHB. Why? Well, WotC didn't talk about a revision coming too early and then turn around and throw out the SEPHB. Has everyone forgotten the huge deal with Monte Cook's rant about 3.5? I'm sorry, but after that, turning around and revising AU(even WITH added content from other books) with barely a year passing is just not comparable. Though I guess my problem is more with the fans who went crazy against 3.5 because "Monte said we don't need it!"(even though that's not what he was really saying), and now he does his own 'revision' of sorts and everyone loves it without a second thought.
My original reaction was in line with yours. When I first heard about AE, rumors from GenCon I believe, I said to myself and anyone nearby "WTF!?" Then I decided ok I'll let Monte address this on his site. he did and he had a good set of reasoning for it all. I know many people who whined that AU was all black and white. I know many who would have loved for the Diamond Throne material to be included etc etc.

I view AE as my new AU PHB/DMG/Gazetteer. My players can now keep the copy of AU for looking up spells and such and I'll still have my copy of AE for all the situations I need it. Besides, as was guessed from the original art posted and confirmed later, dragons are returning to the east and thus a large shift could be coming to the campaign.

Plus, AE is only $50 not $75. I'm an AU fan and I dig most of the stuff MOnte has done recently (don't own any of his older stuff really), but I'm far from a fanboy. I just dig solid rules and interesting material that makes me go "Dayum! I hafta roll up one of these!"

Hagen

diaglo

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
Isn't that like taking apart a Lamborghini Diablo and turn it into one of those kiddie's red pull wagons?

:lol:

don't mock the Radio Flyer.

with an active imagination you can go anywhere in one of those. :D

diaglo

Adventurer
Orius said:
Nah, he buys 3.5 stuff and then talks about how much better the three little books are.

nah, if you paid attention and read the story hour in my sig you'd realize i've been playing all versions of D&D.

i just happen to know which one is best for me.

OD&D(1974) is the only true game. All the other editions are just poor imitations of the real thing. :D

Nightcloak

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Heck, I'm probably going to be BUYING AE. I do understand the sentiment, but it just seems so much like Monte Cook gets hailed as a god among gods when he does anything and when WotC does something no matter how much they TELL you about it...people end up complaining about it. Yep, looking at that, it IS the overzealous fans that bother me more than anything.;)

This is a good point and you are right. Monte is treated like a celebrity while WotC gets kicked around at times like the red-headed step child. Considering WotC saved D&D from TSR, IMHO, they do deserve better from some folks.

I think this is do to them being the power house that produced 3E. Us hard core gamers are just that demanding of them :cool: But the third party companies don't carry the same gravitas so to speak so it's easy to get excited about new and interesting products and cut them some slack on the little things.

Hey hey hey!! NO! BAD! SEPH canNOT be used because it actually spells something. I'm sorry but we will be sticking with the awkward and painful sounding SEPHB.

Doh!
Obviously my editing standards need some help also :D

woodelf

First Post
haiiro said:
No offense intended, but what were you expecting? The ad copy said faux leatherbound PHB, with errata -- which is what it is.
Damn, i sure hope you (and they--you're exactly quoting their ad copy) actually mean "with errata corrected". "Errata" is the list of errors in a product, not the list of fixes--to refer to something as "having errata" means that it has [known] errors. I don't know that there is a special term for the list of corrections to that errata, other than "corrections" or "revisions".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads