• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Edition Players Handbook....Meh

Turanil

First Post
Fact is, WotC is trying to sell us crap. Faux Leather (plus ugly looking cover) for 75$, and just errata. Even if I am not obliged to buy it, and knew it would like that (so no deception), I can still say I find this disapointing. Really disapointing. It's not the standard WotC should have. But maybe their goal is to slowly go down in quality, until they entirely disappear like TSR of old.

JustKim

First Post
Breaking news, I just bought my fifth copy of the Player's Handbook, and it seems mostly identical to the first, second, third and fourth copies I already had! I'm so disgusted, if WotC doesn't start putting all new material in the same old books I may stop buying Player's Handbooks altogether!

Romnipotent

First Post
A little bit of perspective

Its interesting, but a skilled enough leather worker will charge you $25-$40 (Australian dollars) for a appropriate sized leather cover (a book slip, not a rebinding etc), getting your own pattern/design is just a matter of talking to the person. As for a leather bound gold embossed full page front and back print, well thats funny (looked into it for some other things) costs you around $1400 AUD for the first book and about $40 for each other. Of course you're talking REAL leather...
Then again you have a worthless PHB then because its no longer official and all special.

What I would prefer to see is thorough editing. Not "special" editions that really have nothing but fanboy value. Planar handbook for one, had some wonderful... syntax errors. Wording changed around for simplicity; DR 2/Bludgeoning - DR 2 VS Bludgeoning, bypassed by slashing and piercing.

Maybe a reasonably priced PDF, not RRP for full print version on pdf (can o worms). I'd really like to see a Horse Miniature in the minis game, with a place to set the medium or small mini, maybe a inset recess on the base.
What would thrill me is Flumfs!

Turanil

First Post
JustKim said:
Breaking news, I just bought my fifth copy of the Player's Handbook, and it seems mostly identical to the first, second, third and fourth copies I already had! I'm so disgusted, if WotC doesn't start putting all new material in the same old books I may stop buying Player's Handbooks altogether!

Really??? :confused:

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Heck, I buy five copies of all my gaming books. Sometimes six. I keep hoping that there will be a misprint in one that will allow me to powergame better.

Last edited:

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Kirin'Tor said:
I too would like to know what your issue with it is...we knew it would be Faux Leather, we it wasn't 4th Ed (but it does contain errata), we know it's meant as a collectible (IE you may choose not to use it)...what were you expecting?

That's exactly what I expected from the collector's edition. Exactly what we were told.

And exactly why I saved my $75.

Meh, I said.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads