• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Specific effects of hiding?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Well, they aren't visually undetectable. They're visually undetected.

They are visually undetectable with that spot roll.

dcollins

Explorer
Caliban said:
And would any of you actually play it that way?

I do. My assumption with invisibility is that it allows you to get right in someone's face and attack with impunity (hence the attack bonus). Hiding's not the same -- I would really need a specific rule that explicitly says "hiding = invisibility", and there's never been one, not in RAW, 3.0/3.5, errata, FAQ, or Rules of the Game. (I know, be careful what you wish for. :) )

In short, it does make sense to me that magical invisibility is stronger than hiding. Hiding gives a defensive bonus but not an offensive one. Understood that this is a point of debate, and I've had players who resisted this fairly strongly.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
dcollins said:
In short, it does make sense to me that magical invisibility is stronger than hiding. Hiding gives a defensive bonus but not an offensive one. Understood that this is a point of debate, and I've had players who resisted this fairly strongly.

Even if you do treat hiding as confering the invisible status, the invisibility power is still stronger. You need a spell or other significant ability to see through it. You only need a sufficient spot roll to see through hiding.

As far as I'm concerned, the most important element of hiding confering the invisible status is negating the target's Dex bonus. That's what enables a rogue to sneak attack from hiding even if his target is neither flatfooted nor flanked.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads