Spectator Commentary thread for Ceramic DM (Winter 2005)

Thorod Ashstaff

First Post
Eeralai said:
I swear we are some sort of experiment Clay has going on

I'm beginning to believe you may be right. Carl Jung would love this contest, out of eight quarter-finalists, two had stories completely set in Thailand and two had stories that ended in Thailand. Even Merrick would say that was too much coincidence!

Hellefire

First Post
I am now dismantling my computer. Not sure when I'll have net access again, but I'll try to find a net cafe or something to keep up on the contest. Good luck all!

Aaron

Eeralai

First Post
Good luck with the move Hellefire. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of your writings in future Ceramic DM contests.

Edit: Doh! Eeralai was logged in. Still, Eeralai wishes you the best as well. :D
BardStephenFox

FireLance

Legend
After posting my second round story and having got a good night's sleep, I think I can finally get around to responding to comments and posting a few comments of my own. Sorry for the delay, everyone.

Hellefire - Hope you manage to read this sometime. Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you liked my story. I thought yours was pretty good, too. The bit about Lokii adding an "i" to his name cracked me up. I did think it ended a bit abruptly, though, but it's a common problem for the contest. I've mentioned before that the 72-hour deadline tends the hit all the endings of my stories hard.

Thorod gets my vote for the most imaginative set-up of the first round stories, although unlike Maldur, I was a little miffed that Hogswart got destroyed.

Eeralai gets my vote for the most gripping characters of the first round stories. I was literally cheeing Liza on by the end of the story and watching Ryan get what he deserved was truly satisfying.

I need to go read the second round stories now.

Eeralai

First Post
Thanks for your comments about my first round story, Firelance! What interests me most often in writing a story is how characters interact with each other and the changes that come with that, so I am glad my characters came off so well.

And now... I must say when I saw the pics for Firelance and Orchid Blossom that I was profoundly glad they weren't mine. I think I would have drawn a complete blank that round and I was impressed that both of them came up with GOOD stories. I really like the premise of Firelance's story and the interaction between Melissa and her angel. Yet another story involving Thailand...wierdness. I guess the tsunami had quite a far reaching affect. Orchid Blossom's story did give me a giggle at the end. It is something I can see happening with my own five year old son and just wanting to shrug it off and go back to bed. At first I thought the roosters was going to be a throw away picture, but you kept coming back to it nicely. To me they were equally enjoyable and I can't guess where the judgement may go unless it comes down to typos which there were less of in Firelances story. Speaking of which, I think I will bring that up in the FAQ thread.

orchid blossom

Explorer
Eeralai said:
And now... I must say when I saw the pics for Firelance and Orchid Blossom that I was profoundly glad they weren't mine. I think I would have drawn a complete blank that round and I was impressed that both of them came up with GOOD stories.

I DID draw a complete blank for about 70 hours. By about 3 in the afternoon on the last day I was considering getting ripping drunk to see if it would help. You needed altered consciousness to make anything out of those pictures.

Hellefire

First Post
Back in the U.s.s.a.

So we are safely here. I am using the ne tat our hotel today, and we head toward Kansas tonight. Still not sure on permanent web access, but will set it up asap. Good luck semi-finalists!

Aaron

Gulla

Adventurer
Wow!

I'm so glad I'm not a judge in this contest.

Both Thorod's and Mythago's stories are brilliant.

First Thorod's story drew me in with a (for me) new twist on 'nature strikes back'. I somehow expected a violent ending one way or the other and was pleasantly surprised. The end was a little too short, but it is the 72 hours I guess.

Then Mythago's ghoststory. It really is a pleasure to wake up and have two good stories to read when I should write technical stuff :D The story had a nice feel of a rough (in my head) 'western' setting. The plot is old and had me wondering how Red would get punished for the blasphemy, but then she gets away with it. I like it, even though why Jhonny just disappears is a bit unclear.

So to reapeat myself: Two brillant stories, and I am very happy I don't have to choose one of them.

Håkon
long time Ceramic DM lurker

MarauderX

Explorer
Thorod Ashstaff said:
I'm beginning to believe you may be right. Carl Jung would love this contest, out of eight quarter-finalists, two had stories completely set in Thailand and two had stories that ended in Thailand. Even Merrick would say that was too much coincidence!

I thought that Thorod and I had either recognized or researched the currency that was in the one picture. From there it was too hard to ignore the people in the snake fight pic. I had contacted a friend that is in Phuket to see what landmarks would be good to mention in my story, but didn't hear back from her until near the deadline. It was all of tehn minutes of internet research for me, and I think it showed so I tried not to stress the details as solidly as Thorod did.

Thorod's next story was agreeably little short on the ending, but I still like it. The mention of the electric guitar was odd at first, but understandable that it helps to relate to the present. I loved the inclusion of the fey-folk and their various methods to achieve their ends. The tenses are consistent all the way through, good job!
There was this:
He hid in the baggage car of a human train, though it was forbidden for fey to ride in a steal machine.
steal=steel. Also in this paragraph I found it odd that Dimble would have used a human train to speed his journey... it's as if he is giving in to the effiency and speed of modern human tools, an indirect afront to the cause he started. Overall, great work again.

Mythago, your story was short to me. I think it's somewhere around 3000 words and though it's not necessary to use more than necessary, more would have helped 'flesh' out the ending for me. A little more description for
I thought the beginning paragraph could have set the mood a little more, as by the first six paragraphs I still felt a little uneasy as to what was going on. It happens in the next section, but I get the sense if you switched them around it would be a better read. Still, I like the second section, as it opened me up to your story much more and the well-done dialogue got me interested in the characters.
A side note: Ito Satoshi is a Japanese name, and Tong Lee is not. The likelyhood of a Japanese man being in the west was slim, as much of Japan was closed to trade during this time period. Was Ito important? Add more explanation to him?
Interesting ending, but the romantic in me is wont to have been given the claim by him instead of picking his pocket. Nice job, I love the story idea.

Remove ads