• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

peterka99

First Post
After maintening concentration on his protection spell on Old Zef, Etienne grabs a large rock then the chain. He stabs the chain then uses both hands to pull both chain and friend out of the hungry tentacles. His muscles are soaring but he got enough force to pull a raging bull. Hope the chain is not stronger...

[SBLOCK]
Roll(1d20)+6: 9,+6 Total 15 to hit the chain
Roll(1d6)+8: 6,+4 Total:10 damage on the chain

Roll(1d20)+8: 15,+8 Total 23 for the grapple

[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: So [MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION], I really dislike having to police this, but you seem to be misunderstanding the rules governing your PC's feats: Grappler & Tavern Brawler.

There's nothing in either of those feats that allows you to deal automatic damage regardless of whether a grapple is successful or not. The relevant quotes:

Grappler said:
• You have advantage on attack rolls against a creature you are grappling.
• You can use your action to try to pin a creature grappled by you. To do so, make another grapple check. If you succeed, you and the creature are both restrained until the grapple ends.
• Creatures that are one size larger than you don’t automatically succeed on checks to escape your grapple.

Tavern Brawler said:
•Increase your Strength or Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
• You are proficient with improvised weapons and unarmed strikes.
• Your unarmed strike uses a d4 for damage.
• When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike or an improvised weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target.

So I'm not recording damage to the chain.

GM: Animated chain DC 23 Strength check: _: 1D20+3 = [16]+3 = 19
fails

Etienne's masterful grip on the writhing chain brings Old Zef tumbling backwards out of the vaporous tentacles into Nia. (( [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] make a DC 10 Dexterity save or be knocked prone)) The chain is still wrapped around Old Zef and Nia, but Etienne has control over it now.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Having sliced the two seaweed creatures rather handily, Kat felt her talents were being wasted. "We should focus in the main room, let's help our comrades in there and get it done. Si?"

"Flynn can wait here and watch but everyone else in there!" Katerina gave Blaise a little wink. "Especially you. Go!" She felt she fought especially well in tandem with him and would be needing him.

peterka99

First Post
OOC:
I modified last post. I meant damage is there whether grapple succeeds or not. Damage gives a bonus grapple. Bad phrasing. I guess I can't get advantage because the grapple action is done AFTER the hit, not the opposite. On the last fight, the critter was restrained, so the advanatage was not a mistake...

As per tavern brawler feat, Etienne hit the chain and got a bonus grapple. So the damage is legit.

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
OOC: I'm looking at the map, and I don't know what good Blaise could do in that situation. The cave is narrow. I guess he could move through friendly spaces, but he would have to enter the tentacles to engage anything. Still, captain's orders...

"Aye, aye." Blaise gives a curt nod as he pushes past Flynn towards the others. He turns the corner to see the chain coiling around his comrades amidst the sea of inky black tentacles. Without hesitating, he runs up and along the wall and leaps into the black mass hoping to strike the chain at its base.

OOC:
Blaise HP:31/32
Here's what I'm trying to do: the only way that I can attack the chain is to be in an empty space near it. There is no available spots for line of sight for a ranged attack. So I need to enter the mass of tentacles (and take my licks) and stand beside Zef to melee the chain. I'm not sure on scale so I may not have enough movement to do that. You'll need to let me know. I can edit this if my movement isn't sufficient.

First, dex save for entering the tentacles:
Blaise Dex Saving Throw: 1D20+5 = [19]+5 = 24 Success! No damage taken this round.
Acrobatics check to make my heroic leaping attack look cool: Blaise Acrobatics Check: 1D20+7 = [11]+7 = 18
Attack on the chain: Blaise rapier attack: 1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11
And a miss! Man, that would have been cool if it worked.
[sblock=Rule Q]I noticed something when I was looking over my sheet. You gave my magical buckler the ability to be used as a blunt weapon when in my off hand. I didn't anticipate that when I built the character. Does wielding it negate my Dueling fighting style?[/sblock]

peterka99

First Post
OOC: Etienne gave Blaise inspiration before entering the grick cave. You may add a 1d6 to your attack after rolling for the attack as per the PHB. 50% chance you reach ac 14.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
OOC:
I modified last post. I meant damage is there whether grapple succeeds or not. Damage gives a bonus grapple. Bad phrasing. I guess I can't get advantage because the grapple action is done AFTER the hit, not the opposite. On the last fight, the critter was restrained, so the advanatage was not a mistake...

As per tavern brawler feat, Etienne hit the chain and got a bonus grapple. So the damage is legit.

GM: Thanks for editing and including your attack roll. All good now.

[MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] The buckler will only negate your Dueling feature during a round in which you attack with it. Otherwise, it works just like a normal buckler so Dueling works just fine.

Shayuri

First Post
Nia attempts to stay on her feet as Etiene wrestles with the chain!

[roll0] vs DC 10

She manages not to pitch over, but she's still in a bind. Her spells are depleted, and she's wrapped securely in iron links...but perhaps the old girl still has some tricks in her...

(OOC question - If Nia wildshapes to a Small or Tiny creature, would that give her a chance to get away from the chain?)

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: I like how you think [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]! I'd say when you Wildshape, you can make a free Escape check as normal, as part of the Wildshape.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads